Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Shampoo carpet

Hello all
Its a sad day,had to come home from the lake today. Winter is closing in way to quick.My question is,has anyone shampooed there carpet in there monty? Mine kinda needs a cleaning before I store it for the winter and want to make that it will not cause problems with the floor gettin wet. Never shampooed carpet in a trailer before and kinda concerned.
Thanks Richard

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Use home shampoo machine, being sure to take out as much water as possible with the machine, go over very slowly.

Also use ceiling fan to help dry.

Also do on a warm day, so it is dry within 2 to 4 hours, do early enough in the day so it dries before dark.

Isn't it wonderful that you used it enough to need to shampoo the carpets??

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We have the carpets in the RV shampooed regularly. We use a local carpet cleaning service who does the house, the RV and we sneak in the carpets from the vehicles. Of course it is best if the weather is warm so the carpets dry in a reasonable time.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
And, if it is hot outside, make sure you leave your windows open so that the humid climate inside your rig doesn't help the vinyl border peel off.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, all good advice above. It's very tight quarters and takes some effort to maneuver around, but we have had good success shampooing our Monty's carpet with a home unit. We keep all the windows open to help dry out the interior. It takes us a couple days because we move the furniture around to get the whole carpet so it's like one room at a time. We put the recliners outside and move the sofabed, and tables and complete the living room. The next day we put the furniture back then remove the chairs and do the dining area and the bedroom. Then when that's dry we put the chairs back. We only this this every couple of years since we don't use the rig as much as others do. This spring it's time once again.

If you fulltime then it's probably more work and more often.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We use a home shampoo machine and do our carpets usually twice a year. For sure in fall as we winterize and then usually mid way thru our 6 months of camping season.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We do in the summer and run the AC
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I do mine in March right before the RVing season starts and right after I have spent parts of Jan. and Feb. cleaning the entire interior. Our temps then in the 30s and 40s and I simply keep the furnace on for a few days and dries nicely. I use a Bissell upright which works perfectly in the fiver.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have a Hoover steam/vac that I use for the home carpets and the Monte carpets. I pick a day when the humidity is low so they will dry faster. I make a wet pass, then several dry passes over each area to make sure it picks up as much moisture as it can. Then turn on the ceiling fan in the living area and another fan in the bedroom and let them blow until it is dry.
We spend about 3 weeks in a campground in Colorado each June that is very sandy/dusty. And it is amazing how much of that we bring back with us in the carpets. The collection tank always has quite a bit of "mud" in the bottom when I finish.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I use a Bissel ProHeat machine. It does a good job and the upholstery attachment works great to get into the corners, stairs, etc.

The only caution is that excessive shampooing is not good for the life expectancy of the carpet as it removes natural oils in the fibers and in the end allows more dirt to become lodged in the deep fibers of the carpet, meaning it collects and retains dirt easier. Still, a once or twice a year deep cleaning and thorough drying is a good thing. Air conditioning helps to remove the moisture as well. I found the need to check for dryness where the slide carpets overlap the main carpet prior to retracting the slides. Usually the main part of the carpet is dry in about 4 hours with just a little longer in the overlap areas.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Like nosticks we also have a Bissell carpet cleaner. Before I clean the carpet I vacuum at least 3 times going in different directions each time. The more dirt and sand you get out with the vacuum the less work the cleaner will have to do. I vacuum with an upright and NOT the built in system in the rig. We have one in our Big Sky and even with the battery operated beater head(no longer made) which is WAY better than any vacuum powered head we still get a much better vacuum job from the upright. I also shampoo at least three times in different directions the last time I do it I use only fresh water to remove any shampoo left behind as it tends to attract dirt when dry..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
We do ours in spring & get rid of dead bugs & stuff from sitting all winter.If I couldn't get a Stanly Steamer type guy out, I will rent an indurtial steam cleaner. Kinda overkill for the small area.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I have used my Shop Vac in the past to remove the water from the carpet. Then I use a large bath towel. As noted by others good ventilation is important to allow residual moisture to escape.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
We use a home unit but it gets dirty so quickly. I'd love to have darker carpet but don't know who would change it all out. Anybody out there know about changing carpet?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
JohnG3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1972
We have a small Bissel carpet cleaner (no onboard heater). Narrow enough to get around the bed and under the dinning table. Does a reasonably good job if you fill the tank with very hot water when you start.
JohnG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I shampooed the living area after bringing the unit home, yes brand new. It looked fine BUT I thought about all the people walking through it on the dealer lot. Well, the wash water from the home shampooer was absolutely filthy! Glad i did it. Simply putting the fantastic fan on with the vent open in the front moves enough air to dry the unit out.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Right where the slideout meets the wall the carpet seem to get almost black from the rubber under the slide. A tough chore to remove it and it dosen't come totally clean.
Any particular solutions for these stains
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 AM   #18
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Fortunally I have a professionsl carpet cleaner that I used to trade with and he still owes me money so we use him for the Monty and the house.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote