Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
No Big Sky for 2012

I contacted Keystone today to find out why there is no Big Sky listed for 2012, only the Big Sky package. To my disappointment they are not being built anymore, 2011 is the last year. I looked at the "Big Sky package" and it falls way short of the Big Sky, must be the economy, no Big Sky package in my future.
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
We did almost a year of looking at all makes and styles of 5th wheels at sales yards and Rv Shows. After looking again and again at three different makes we went with Montana. We added the "Moving to Montana Package" the "Hickory Edition Package" and finaly the "Big Sky Package" The "Big Sky Package" Listed for $14,750 but they had a promotional package sale of $10,070 on the package. I did not want to pay that much for the package but I wanted the "Lippert 6 Point Auto Hydraulic Leveling System" and the "G" Range Radial Tires and aluminum rims. I was not that interested in the "Full Body Paint" 0r "Radius Fiberglass Shower" that went with the package but had to have it to get the rest of the package. After several days of talking price we paid $6,500 for the "Big Sky Package" and really like it.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They do make the big sky but by on order only hence the big sky package. At one time they had their own plant that built the big sky only. When the economy took a crap they built the big sky and the Montana mountaineer on the same Montana line. Now the big Sky is a order only unit. Saves on inventory that way. They only build big Skies that have been ordered and sold. If you look at a Big Sky on the line it will have the owners name on the build slip. None are built for display unless the dealer orders one for that purpose and pays for it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Order only and sold units is what our Manufactor does. Sold units is the way to go. Every 5th wheel that leaves the plant is sold.... Happy Trails....

P.S. I think more of this will be done due to the economy.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bill you are right. We also looked at what they call a Big Sky now and it in deed falls short of the original Big Sky.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
As the owners of a 2009 Big Sky, we concur with the critics here. We looked at the new ones at the Tampa show last winter, and while "nice", they are not near what we have. We do not have the Lippert system, as it was not available that year, but our interior trim is so much nicer than the new ones. We paid more gladly because we got more. Well, I hope we can make it last another 15 years or so. That way we will not have to settle for something less!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Actually the big sky package is the same as you would get in the big sky today. To say it is not what you have in your big sky is decieving in todays market. I actually like what Keystone offers in the big sky package, that's why they make different models, different strokes for different folks. If it would have been available in 2010 when our unit was made, I would have bit the bullit and ordered it! There was a huge difference in price in 09 when we ordered our present model.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
What I am saying is when I look at the wood trim, the wall paper, the cabinetry, all of it in my 09, the new ones are not the same quality. Not deceiving at all. I am not saying I do not like what's in the Big Sky package; I am saying that other than the Lippert leveling system, which was not available then, it is not as nice as what they used to offer as a separate model. We could tell the difference as soon as we walked in. IF I was buying new again today, I would get the package. But it is not as nice as what I got in 09, so I will try to keep this one going.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
When I talked to the lady at Keystone she told me they made 5 Big Sky 340RLQ's in 2011 and they are no longer available. Maybe she doesnt know what she was talking about but that is what she told me. I found one of them at a Colorado dealer, the pics on their web site show the interior as being almost exactly like ours, way different than the "Big Sky Package".
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

When I talked to the lady at Keystone she told me they made 5 Big Sky 340RLQ's in 2011 and they are no longer available. Maybe she doesnt know what she was talking about but that is what she told me. I found one of them at a Colorado dealer, the pics on their web site show the interior as being almost exactly like ours, way different than the "Big Sky Package".
Bill
Well we will be able to answer that question for sure at the fall rally Actually the lady was correct. They no longer make the Big Sky but do/did offer the Big Sky package.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I was sad to see/hear the Big Sky is gone yet again. After pricing out a new 3400RL w/ the Big Sky package, I have found that the new Redwood better fits my needs/wants and the price point is almost the same.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote