Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Leaking shower drain

About a month ago I noticed my shower drain was leaking into the basement. I took it apart and cleaned it up and replaced the plumbers putty put it all back together. Just noticed that is leaking again. Has anyone had this problem? I am sure it is from the floor in the shower flexing up and down causing the putty to give way. Can u get a rubber seal to fix this problem or reinforce the floor somehow to stop the flexing
Thanks Richard

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Have you tried to tighten the nut under the drain? Mine was leaking and Montana Service told me to check all the nuts under the drains because they work loose when traveling. I tightened it and it stopped. I checked the sinks and they had worked loose also but had not leaked yet.
Just a thought worth trying.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Recently some one posted that the bottom of their shower tub had cracked due to flexing. He also made a good description of the successful repair he made. You might find it or maybe they will read your post and reply.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I had exactly the same problem you describe. Fixed it myself, then had two different mobile RV techs fix it all to no avail. We were fixing the leak, but not the problem.

But this last time, I called a plumber. At my insistence, (1) he re-plumbed from the drain to the "p" trap. He used a metal flange rather than the plastic OEM flange. (2) Then he loosened the retainer strap about a 1/2" in the basement to allow the drain to move up and down when someone is walking around in the shower. (3) He pointed out that insulating bats under the floor did not support all the way around the drain allowing more flex on one side than the other. I got some spray foam and filled the other side under the shower floor. Now the floor is much more stable and the floor flange doesn't wiggle to create a leak.

Caution: if you do the foam thing, be careful not to over fill causing the foam to make you floor buckle upward. Better to do several small spray in and wait to see the results than to over fill. My shower floor is stable, no leaks...yet. A side effect was that it got rid of a pesky floor squeak.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Had the same problem with my 2955 RL. I took the drain all apart, applied new plumbers putty to the shower floor drain, tightened the nuts, and the leak stopped. Good for me!! Now, as far as the floor flex, I found some sheets of 1 inch styrofoam used as packing to ship large objects. They were about a foot wide. I cut pieces to fit under the floor of the shower. I had to cut them and snake them up the drain hole before I replaced the drain pipe. That solve the floor flex problem.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Did the same as John and fixed it, and the plumbers puddy will hold it fine.

Good lookin TV and camper John!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Thanks everyone for the help I think I can fix this problem now
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote