Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Wet Insulation

I think most of us have the exterior "Utility Closet" (I call it) that houses our control valves, water hookup, dump handles etc. During the wash job I gave the unit yesterday I noticed a lot of crud, webs and just plain dirt in the bottom of the utility closet. I decided I would just soap it up and pull the 4" plugs and rinse it out. But before I did that, I caulked around the two low point drain hoses where they exit the base. Today, after the caulk was dry, I washed out the bottom of the closet. Nice and clean!! Then, I noticed the lower 4" ring looked like a pretty good gap near the bottom where water could get in the underbelly. I remove the bottom PVC ring and a piece of junk sheet metal they line the opening with fell out. Yup, you guessed it, all the insulation in there was SOAKING wet. I guess the simple answer is - don't run water in there, but, but, but, if the water connection leaks, we will have the same problem. My recomendation, is to caulk the lower ring where it meets the piece of junk sheet metal, and also caulk where the so called ring comes together at the seam because it is just a strip of metal they formed into a ring. I ended up tearing out all the wet insulation, unbolting the underbelly to let it dry. will need to make a repair and make sure everything is water tight.
I wasn't too worried about the insulation there, but the insulation comes directly in contact with the wood floor.

In the above photo, some of the wet insulation has already been removed. Just wanted to post this because some of you may think as I did that these utility closets are water proof, heck, they aren't even water resistant.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Thanks for the heads up, something else I will have to check out this weekend.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Just noticed some white mold growing to the direct left of the utility bay, outside the bay itself and on the basement carpet. Yep, soaking wet....somehow water leaked through your discovery and is leaching into the carpet. Will follow up with your suggestion after things dry out for a while. Also noticed the soaking wet insulation as well. Thanks for the tip! YUCK!!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
After looking at the picture, I wonder if a person could be a piece of "white" water pipe, cut it to the correct height, caulk around it and put it back together?? Might do some measuring and see if Lowes has a coupler that is the correct diameter to fit in there.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

After looking at the picture, I wonder if a person could be a piece of "white" water pipe, cut it to the correct height, caulk around it and put it back together?? Might do some measuring and see if Lowes has a coupler that is the correct diameter to fit in there.
I was wondering the same thing as I was reading the OP. 4 inch PVC caulked in place of the cheap sheet metal.

Let us know what you find.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ddettorre

Just noticed some white mold growing to the direct left of the utility bay, outside the bay itself and on the basement carpet. Yep, soaking wet....somehow water leaked through your discovery and is leaching into the carpet. Will follow up with your suggestion after things dry out for a while. Also noticed the soaking wet insulation as well. Thanks for the tip! YUCK!!!!
Dino,

The location you describe, sounds like the black water flush. There is anti-siphon value there, which will leak when flushing the tank if the water pressure is to high.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
John....what's the anti-siphon do? Or how does it work and how do I get to it to check for leaks? Do I run the back flush and look then? Any suggestions from anyone are appreciated! Thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ddettorre

John....what's the anti-siphon do? Or how does it work and how do I get to it to check for leaks? Do I run the back flush and look then? Any suggestions from anyone are appreciated! Thanks.
Dino

When flush the black water tank, and the pressure is to high you will see it drip into the basement. If you look under the sink back wall, you should see a pipe that goes up and U turns back down. The valve is in the U turn.

Solution is keep a extra water regulator for black water flush.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Dino,

Mine is still leaking even after using the pressure reduce on it. Here is a picture of the value. Guess I will need another one.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Appreciate the pic.......and a side note.....enjoy the Monty!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #12
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
OK, the compartment is now water tight. I bought a 4 X 3" PVC coupling at Home Depot and had a friend machine it down on his lathe. I know not everyone has access to a lathe, so the main thing is to seal up all the gaps and crevices in and around the compartment drain pan. If water exits out around your low point drain hoses, you can be sure the insulation is wet. After taking out the upper and lower flanges and the sheet metal connector, I was able to reach in and remove all the soaking wet insulation. The way it is now, I can just screw in the cover on the top end and the one for the bottom is now just a spare.

Still amazes me that something this simple can elude people at the factory
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Thanks for the pics.....I just went out to check mine today and it is now dry and ready to be worked on. Will try and do the same/similar corrective surgery as you!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Nice work Bob. Looks like another mode to add to the list.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I looked at mine this AM & guess what? NO insulation in there! My trailer must have been made on a Monday or Friday!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I had a few moments today to look and see if I had wet insulation. I have the same model and year as BOBSALS. I could not find any wet insulation, in fact I had no insulation in that area at all. My unit made on a Thursday, but close to Christmas. Guys must have been in the egg nog a little early. Anyhow, when I make the fix, I'll add insulation. Makes me wonder where else it is missing.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote