Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
waltec

M.O.C. #11377
3625re

Hi everyone,new to the forum.im looking into buying a new Montana 3625re.Im a Jayco owner now and love the interior and looks of the Montana.
I will be pulling it with a Dodge3500 SWR.
Any advise or what I should look at for please feel free to respond.
Thanks.

waltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Welcome to the forum!
This is the best place to be. Just start reading and asking questions. There is a wealth of information on here.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that the Montanas have the same basic construction for all models. The best floorplan is the one that fits your lifestyle. We had a 3400 but moved to a side aisle (365 Big Sky) after the grandkids started getting a little older for the separate bathroom. I believe you will find the Montanas well built and thought out. They aren't perfect, but many of us have had two or more Montanas. We have found the Montana brand to really listen to their customers and make changes based on input. And the MOC is a great group. Good luck on your decision.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Walcome aboard! I'm not sure what to tell you as far as what to look for or what to get. I like the Jaycos, they're good rigs. But I also like the three Montanas we've had and are convinced it's a great bang for my buck. The only advice I could offer is to get what you want at the time you purchase (within budget constraints, of course). It's tougher to justify additions later.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask questions. There are no dumb questions here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
citycopper

M.O.C. #11273
We have had ours for one month. We really enjoy it with it's unique couch and living space. We our experiencing a water issue on the dining room slide, so if you purchase this model keep an eye on it when it rains. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
citycopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We bought our 2nd Montana in '08, after looking at every floorplan Montana offers. Once we decided which floorplan suited us best, we began an e-mail conversation with the dealer we wanted to use. That conversation lasted for about 3 months. At the end of that time, the dealer sent us numbers (our price for the new & tradeo-in allowance for the old) that we felt comfortable with. Our actual purchasing price was about 25% off MSRP.

We had the dealer do some extras such as slide-out awnings, window awnings, and 5.5KW Onan generator installed. In the 3 years we have owned it, we added solar panels, high capacity battery system and inverter, a washer/dryer combo, 2nd A/C, and satellite TV.

We can stay off the grid (using solar and/or generator) for as long as we want (3 1/2 weeks at Quartzsite this year) or sit in a full hookup campground with swimming pool, spa, etc.

Bottom line: don't rush the process. Keep an open conversation going with your dealer and go (as much as budget allows) with most of the options you will want already installed (either by Keystone during the build or by the dealer after he receives the coach from the factory). It is much less painful to include options in your monthly payment than to budget for them later (especially on a fixed income).

Good luck and welcome to the MOC forum.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
"We had the dealer do some extras such as slide-out awnings, window awnings, and 5.5KW Onan generator installed. In the 3 years we have owned it, we added solar panels, high capacity battery system and inverter, a washer/dryer combo, 2nd A/C, and satellite TV. Keep an open conversation going with your dealer and go (as much as budget allows) with most of the options you will want already installed (either by Keystone during the build or by the dealer after he receives the coach from the factory). It is much less painful to include options in your monthly payment than to budget for them later (especially on a fixed income)."

This is very good advice, I wish I had had it when we bought our 3400. We had to add everything aftermarket. Of course, the price of these things aren't amortized over the length of the loan (if a loan is needed), therefore costing you somewhat less. It is hard to know what opitions to include, for example: we added 2nd air, no generator (not big on boondocking), we added slide toppers, good investment, in my mind. Winegard Traveler DirecTV dish for a little luxury. MorRyde independent suspension for security and peace of mind, TrailerSaver air hitch in truck for comfort and longevity. We did not do washer and dryer, didn't, and still don't see the need. Others do and that's what makes this RVing thing so much fun. YOU CAN SPEND AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE AS YOU WANT......Good Luck with whatever you get......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Keeping an open line with the dealer is good advice. But check other prices before blindly accepting his...some dealers can be rather steep, especially on high dollar items, such as W/D, air pin box, etc.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
And also keep in mind if you are a COSTCO member they have a RV Buying program which is worth checking out. After doing all of our research and shopping around we decided to check out the COSTCO plan and we saved even more. They did not have a dealer in our state, but they are delivering it to us. We negotiated it with most of the options that we wanted, which did save $$$.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
waltec

M.O.C. #11377
Thank you everyone for all the replys.We are still in limbo about buying this Model.
We love the floor plan but I think this unit is just a bit to heavy for my Dodge 3500 SRW.Im guessing a duelly would be a better choice.
waltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Do your homework with regards to the truck, I don't think there is an appreciable difference in the SRW and DRW models, but I am sure someone will have the information on here shortly. We, like others are on our second Montana and have never regretted the purchase of either one. The second one was a new layout that as soon as we entered knew it fit us like a glove. I am another who learned on the second go-round to have all of the bells and whistles added at purchase, but I was smart enough to make sure that they matched prices on the add-ons, I gladly paid them installation labor.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
good luck enjoy the forum
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
We're pulling a 3465 SA with an 06 SRW 3500 Dodge, and have had no problems pulling. So far the longest trip was round trip from East Tenn. to Panama City FL. We averaged 13.5 MPG for the trip. Everyone has given you good advice, take your time and get the floor plan that fits you, with all of the extras you want put on before you buy. There will always be more to add later, and you'll wonder why you didn't get them also. We went back to our local dealer to look at all the units on his lot Monday, and still didn't find anything we liked better than our unit, so I guess we made the right choice for us.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote