Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Bob Love
Established Member

M.O.C. #9316
No power to thermostat

Am having 2 possibly related problems: (1) there is a rodent(possible rat) within the walls and flooring of the rv..(2)the thermostat has no power. Any ideas as to how to remove the (rat), makes too much noise for a mouse. Also how to restore power to the thermostat? I have 2 traps set but the uninvited guest seems to be everywhere but the location of the traps. This is a 2007 3475. I know it is possible that one or more wires for the thermostat may have been chewed by the (rat). Thank you for your expert advice.

Bob L.

Bob Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Wellllll---I recon you could leave it at the dealer and take a new rig home, both problems solved.:-) Highly possible the rat dined on the wires. If you can see that the wires are in fact chewed thru and where this happened, then you probably have a good spot to start setting the traps, as well as getting the t'stat back into service.

ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
There are rat bait blocks (they're green) sold at hardware and home improvement stores. They work pretty well and you can drop them into spaces you can't reach or put a trap. Be careful NOT to put them in places where pets could possibly get them. Good luck with the rodents.

Ozz or someone else with expertise in HVAC may be able to help troubleshoot the t-stat wiring.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Bob,
Sorry about the problems, no fun. Bob did you check the fuses and breakers to see if anything is tripped?
If Mickey Mouse has chewed the thermostat wire, you may be able to use the damaged wire to pull a new one if it is not severed. I think they are like phone wires, with plastic clip-in connections. You can check with Keystone, maybe a phone wire would interchange.
Check those fuses first.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would not advise using any kind of poison for the rat. A dead rat in an inaccessible part of the rig is worse than a live rat.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Is a 3475RL laid out like my 3400RL? what is the difference in the floor plan?

I would go to a rental place, get a small 'Live trap', bait it and try to catch the varmint at night. Get some good stinky cheese and bait the trap with that, pull the vacuum housing out for a while, so Mickey will have access to the trap through the vacuum housing hole.
He will find it...
I used to have Ferrets, one of them got into my ducting system, I could envision a real nightmare, I just pulled a basement vent and sprinkled some Ferret treats, he found them in about 5 minutes.
I dusted him off and he rode around on my shoulders for a while.
Loved those little guys.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote