Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Grease Landing Legs Gears!

Those that have been here for a couple years know I replaced stripped gears on the driver side front leg.
This week the legs started binding real bad. I finally popped the cover off the passenger side and the gears were as dry as the day they were installed. No I did not check them when I did the drivers side. If you feel there is a lot of resistance raising the Monty check both sides. It is accessible through the propane tank compartments. As you can see in the pictures. the flat top can be pried up with a screwdriver etc.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, Just use 90w auto grease or any particular kind????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
John,
Can the lube be put in without removing the legs? Do you just lube the gears or the sliding parts too?
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I know what I have done but I want to talk to the tech for the legs for the "proper" answer. I will get back to you all after I get the Answer.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If you use the 90w oil use it very sparingly as the flow through ends up on your drive. Somebody mentioned using a couple of shots so I did. Guess they didn't mean shots from a shot glass.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
This is how I greased my legs, placed trailer on TV removed leg extenders and slid a vinyl tube over or around the screw that extends in the leg and pumped grease in the tube and then around the screw shaft in the legs. Saved the tube for the next time I need to grease the legs.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
I contacted Venture MGF Co. who make the landing legs and received this reply:
Quote:
quote:
Hi John, It's not a bad idea to lube every year or two depending on how much you use them and under what conditions... If you play in the desert a lot you might consider completely disassembling them yearly to clean and re-lube the internal components, under normal highway usage, you might want to re-lube the gears in the top of the leg every couple years, and if it is something you can do, removing them and completely disassembling them to clean and re-lube the screw and gears every 2 or 3 years wouldn't be a bad idea. We us a moly (Molybdenum) based grease here, but any good automotive type EP grease will work.
Hope this helps, Doug
Doug Olson V.P. Engineering Venture Mfg. Co.Dayton, OH 45414
Ph: 937-233-8792 ext. 27 TF: 866-365-1957 ext. 27Fax: 937-233-8485
Removal and installation from the trailer is the hardest (time consuming) job. Disassembly and assembly is easy.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Good information John, thanks for digging it all up and for sharing it with us. I also like Illini trekker's idea. It might use a little more grease but should save a lot of time
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Good info John. Under the harsh conditions here, I think I may have to look into that. Salt in the air, everything rusts. We'll be moving to a waterfront lot one week from today. I've been scraping, brushing, treating rust with phosphorus acid, then painting with Rust Cap paint.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

This is how I greased my legs, placed trailer on TV removed leg extenders and slid a vinyl tube over or around the screw that extends in the leg and pumped grease in the tube and then around the screw shaft in the legs. Saved the tube for the next time I need to grease the legs.
In addition to this I recommend popping the flat top cap and putting grease on the gears and sleeves as shown in my slide show. I believe, Illini Trekker's description does not get grease to the tops section.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
John et al,
I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting gear oil or grease for our landing gear? Just trying to understand. Thanks for your help.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, after almost two years on the road, I just went out and checked mine by removing the top cap and I am pleased to report that all is well and still coated with grease. Thanks for the "Heads-up" John, will have to add that to my list of PM things...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by capn chris

John et al,
I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting gear oil or grease for our landing gear? Just trying to understand. Thanks for your help.
Based on Dougs reply I would say grease.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
John I cked mine today and found that they had very little grease in the top. I put some heavy oil in the top so it could run down the tube then some grease. Now Do I need to do anything to the reduction gear or is it okay. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

John I cked mine today and found that they had very little grease in the top. I put some heavy oil in the top so it could run down the tube then some grease. Now Do I need to do anything to the reduction gear or is it okay. bobby
I have not done anything to the reduction gear. I know it is "suppose" to have a slip clutch in it but they may be adjusted too tight, as in my case. (mine did strip the 90 degree gears as shown in my picture.) My opinion is NO lubrication is required but you can call Venture and verify with them.

I do feel that PMs as recommended by Doug will become more important since we are getting grease on the screw area of the landing jack and that is open to dust and dirt collecting there.

Thanks for asking.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #16
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
How much trouble would it be to pot a couple grease ftgs where needed. I'm supprised factory doesn't do that anyway, based on their reply to John? Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:02 AM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Steve,
It is very easy to pop the top flat plate and put grease on the 90 gears. I believe the warm weather lets some of that grease travel down the screw action too. I will not be able to confirm it until I do a full PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:15 AM   #18
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Thanks MOC for once again for pointing out another PM issue. We popped the top, used a mirror to look in the top, very little grease, so added a little more than ran the legs up and down a couple times. Florida here we come.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
John,

When I talked with Doug at Venture last year, he recommended heavy duty gear oil. I think it would also be a good idea to put some grease on the two 90 gears there on the top.

I have used about a tablespoon full of gear oil, and it is messy, but the reduction in the stress on the motor tells me that it is doing its job.

Thanks for the heads-up.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I just got back from checking my landing gear legs for lube. Street side bevel gears had lube, curb side dry as a bone. Never been lubed.
Guess I have to check the screw mechanism next time I have Monty hitched up and I can drop the legs.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote