Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
royando
Established Member

M.O.C. #9021
Grab Bar installation

I want to install grab bars in the bathroom, shower and inside stairs in our 2003 Montana 3280RL. Would it be best to locate, drill and tap the aluminum studs or bolt through the interior walls and block it in back of the wall?

royando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just a partial answer here. Inside the shower, we use two of the heavy duty suction type grab bars. They have not moved after installation unless we decided to reposition them. By-the-way, they were recommended by a medical supply firm. Using grab bars in the toilet will be a bit of a challenge. The walls materials are very thin. How to reinforce them will be the major installation issue to overcome.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I was thinking about doing this in our bathroom. In ours, I don't think there is a stud where it would be needed. My "plan B" was to bolt right through the wall into a backing board that would be in the washer/dryer closet. What we actually did was to buy a toilet riser, that lifts the toilet up about 3". This has worked well in our situation, and avoided the need to install bars.

Each case will be unique, but if the studs are in the right places, that would be my first choice (make sure that you have suitable screws). If the studs are not in the right places, you may be able to span between two studs with a nice piece of board and make yourself anchor points where you need them. Like I said, each case will be a bit different, so look at all suggestions, and pick whatever will work in your situation. Whatever you decide, make sure it is well secured.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
If it is possible to install backing in the interior wall, I would suggest doing that. The aluminum studs in the exterior walls are not 16" or 24" apart, the spacing is somewhat random. Even if you did find a stud where you want the grab bar, the aluminum is very thin to screw to.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Just a partial answer here. Inside the shower, we use two of the heavy duty suction type grab bars. They have not moved after installation unless we decided to reposition them. By-the-way, they were recommended by a medical supply firm. Using grab bars in the toilet will be a bit of a challenge. The walls materials are very thin. How to reinforce them will be the major installation issue to overcome.
Where did you purchase the suction bars??

Thanks........Al Johnston
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is one web location for the Suction Grab Bar . However, there are several sources. Shop a little. Not all prices are the same. Be sure to buy with the clamp down levers. They are the ones that hold. The 11-1/2" size was what we bought for inside the shower. We positioned them on the glass panels either side of the door.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Thanks Stiles! I don't know if that is what I need as getting out of the Jacuzzi bathtub is the problem. According to what I read, the suction ones are only meant to stabilize rather than support a person's full weight. On the other hand, it would be nice if the suction type could support full weight then I wouldn't have to find the studs behind a marble enclosure to mount the steel ones.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
ARJ,

Don't know the source, but there was one advertised on TV where the guy put them on the outside of a rig and used them as an outside ladder. That seems like it would work for your application.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
When Carol had her knee replaced we added a toilet safety rail to the toilet. No drilling, no holes and it works. We are going to put one in our rig when we dig it out of the snow this spring. It makes it easier for me too and does not take up much room. It gives a rail on each side (like chair arms) of the commode to assist sitting and standing. They can be found at medical supply stores and Walmart also has them.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:02 AM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Thanks guys for all the info. If anyone was confused about where I need these-its in the house, not the TT.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ah, you have many more options there, especially for mounting. In the bath/shower area of a stick house is where I first observed the suction grab bars in service. If it were me, I might check with an occupational therapist for counsel on placement and availability of hardware. They are usually available at hospitals after whatever procedures may have been performed.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #12
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

ARJ,

Don't know the source, but there was one advertised on TV where the guy put them on the outside of a rig and used them as an outside ladder. That seems like it would work for your application.
Still looking and I found the site that showed the guy climbing up using the grab bars you described. Here it is!

http://www.mygetagrip.net/

Amazon has these for sale. The customer reviews are not too great!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
royando
Established Member

M.O.C. #9021
I just installed a grab bar in the shower of our 2003 Montana 3280RL. Using a Stanley electronic stud finder, I found the 2"x2" wood studs in the interior wall between the shower and front hall. The studs were 14" centers so the 16" Moen grab bar fit nicely at a 45 degree angle under the shower head using the Moen supplied screws. It works and looks great.
Thank you all for the feedback.
royando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #14
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Well, after much looking I bought 2 suction type bars at Walmart. They were about $10 each and I thought I could return them if they didn't work.

We have plastic, simulated marble walls in the 2 bathrooms and the bars work great, good and solid and they DO support my weight.

Thanks all for the help!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:08 AM   #15
grumbolt
Established Member

M.O.C. #22670
if you want to install handrails along the interior walls, a 3/4" thick piece of hardwood (i used red oak 6" wide, but 4" wide would be plenty strong) mounted like a chair rail along the wall with a couple of wood screws countersunk at each stud then you can mount the hand rail anywhere along the chair rail with more strength than you will ever need...

when you mount it, you will want the hard wood to go past the hand rail to at least the next stud. or at least thats how i mounted mine at the stairs...
grumbolt is offline   Reply With Quote