Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
Send a message via AIM to milsutter Send a message via MSN to milsutter Send a message via Yahoo to milsutter
Yellowstone

We have a 3750FL, 39 ft. Are planning to be in Yellowstone in September. Are the roads suitable for that length of rig? Planning to drive from Gardiner to West Yellowstone, and then from West Yellowstone to Jackson.

both times pulling the trailer.

milsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
It has been some years since I was in Yellowstone. I choose to camp in West Yellowstone and drive solo for the sight seeing. Traffic was horrendous and that was not even towing. Probably be better traffic conditions in September. I think it has quite a few tight corners a few miles into the park but I am sure somebody else will let you know for sure. I do remember crossing the continental decide quite a few times while driving around the circle. I do remember seeing a few motor homes and smaller camp trailers/fifth wheels. You could also look and see if they have any length restrictions listed.
Good luck.

Tom Marty
Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Here is a link that might be useful.
http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php

Tom Marty
Old 06-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We have been there twice in 4 years and both times we just park our rig at the huge KOA 8 miles outside the West entrance and just drive thru in our truck or our Scooters,there are other nice resorts near the entrance like Grizzly RV as well,DO NOT CAMP IN THE PARK with a 39 footer unless you like your slides 6in away from your neighbor
Old 06-09-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
We have camped at West Yellowstone at the KOA and Grizzly RV Park with Grizzly our preferred place. Nice level sites, our pull-thru was more than adequate. Clean facilities with all types of accommodations. We've entered the park the from the East, West and North, exited through the East and South with no problems (even through the road construction). If you don't mind tight spots you can camp at Fishing Bridge, but it's too close for comfort for us. Check the National Park Service website and other sites for camping in the park information. We enjoy a sunrise drive in from the West entrance each morning and always see wildlife. You'll get lots of different opinions but these are our preferences. Have fun!
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:23 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have been to Ystone several times and towed our 38 footer thru the park. If I remember, the speed limit is 45 but you rarely get there because of traffic. So, yes you can tow and the roads are very good. We have stayed at Fishing Bridge--it is tight but later found Grizzly--a wonderful park--but then your drive to the park is a little longer. We just enjoyed the scenery on each drive. Have a great trip. If you are going in Sept., some of the lodges maybe closed--only impacted us on where to get some lunch or dinner.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
2 years ago while out west we stayed at Grizzly CG for a couple night and did our sightseeing just in the truck. Upon hooking up and leaving we did tow through the park and it was fine. You won't set any speed records and you have to pay attention, but a 39' fiver is no problem. The thing you do not want to have happen is a flat or break down due to very few shoulders.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Another vote for Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone!! http://www.grizzlyrv.com/
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
drillagent
Established Member

M.O.C. #14572
We just returned last night from 9 days in Yellowstone at the Fishing Bridge RV park with our 3750 FL. So here is the latest and greatest.

There's a LOT of road construction going on in Yellowstone right now. The North entrance at Gardiner is a construction zone right now. The road surface has been torn up to bare ground with sharp re-routing turns and giant potholes.

The entire west side is construction. The road between Mammoth Hot Springs and Norris is torn up to bare ground with lots of GIANT potholes and long waits for one lane traffic at some points. The road between Old Faithful and West Thumb is completely shut down for bridge repair.

What does this mean for you? If you come in the North Gate at Gardiner, you'll have to climb all with way up the twisting road toward Mount Washburn. That's a steady climb up about 1,500 ft on narrow twisting roads with a couple of hairpins and no shoulder/railings. We saw a couple of 5vers do it, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. If you come through the West Gate at West Yellowstone, it's a long climb past Gibbons Falls. Not as bad as the North entrance, but it's still a pretty steep climb. Once you get past Norris and onto the road to Canyon Village, it's pretty level. Canyon Village to Fishing Bridge has some steep parts, but mostly level.

When we arrived, we came up from the south through Jackson. Straight through the middle of town. Not fun, but doable. I decided right then and there we were going to leave out the east entrance.

If I were going to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would come up Hwy 287 through Moran and stay at Colter Bay RV Park in Grand Teton National Park. Fishing Bridge is ok, but you're packed in very tight. I thought someone was walking on my roof one night, but DW said it was the kids IN the trailer behind us. I had to pull forward so he could use his outside kitchen. All the sites are back in with trees directly in front. So don't expect to be able to pull forward and back to get straight. The sewer connection is in the middle of the pad, so you'll have to pull all the way to the side or the connection will be under your 5ver. Expect your nose to stick out too. I lived in fear every time I heard someone drive past just knowing they were going to hit me. That being said, most sites have fir trees between them, so plan on using one door or the other. You won't be able to use both. Parking my truck on the other side of the trailer was an event in itself. In order to get past the trailer and be able to get out because of the tree, I had to park at an angle with about 2 ft clearance between me and the trailer on the other side of me. I'm sure he was cursing whenever he wanted to walk around his rig. If you've got a dually, forget about it. You'll have to park it somewhere else and walk to your trailer.

In contrast, Colter Bay is all pull through in tall pines with plenty of room. You're nearest neighbor is at least 25ft away. Lots of room. Yes, you'll be driving a lot to see everything in Yellowstone. But even staying at Fishing Bridge, I averaged 133 miles a day of driving. And if you wanted to go to town, Jackson is only 50 miles away. It's over 100 miles from Fishing Bridge.

Sorry if I seem jaded, but there it is. Also, in September they start winding things down and shutting some roads due to weather. So all this may be moot.
drillagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
VlastaJones
Established Member

M.O.C. #17411
We also just returned from two weeks in Yellowstone. You can travel from Gardiner to West Yellowstone but as stated previous the section from Mammoth to Norris is under construction. We stayed three nights in Gardiner and should have stayed there the whole time as that is where we had the most animal sightings. We attempted to stay at Fishing Bridge (we had reservations) but it was way too tight so we canceled and went to Grizzly in W. Yellowstone. That is our preferred place to stay. Is a lot of driving required to see the sights.... Yes! It is a given whether you are in the park or out. W. Yellowstone has good restaurants, you can walk to everything from Grizzly Park. No way would I pull an RV from Tower to Canyon; no shoulders, extremely steep and we saw people get stopped behind Bison going up the mountain on a very steep incline! I was driving our truck and I was panicky just sitting there on that steep section, I cannot imagine having the Montana behind me!! You can drive down from Mammoth via Norris to W. Yellowstone just go slow and be prepared for at least 30 minute delays. We did and it wasn't too bad, on construction areas we drove about 5 miles ph.
This was our first trip in the Monanta and we LOVED it! I just recommend staying outside the park
VlastaJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
2 BILs just got back 2 weeks ago. Other than there was no construction when I was there 10 years ago, they confirmed the construction at the West and North entrances. They did not pull their rigs thru the park itself but kinda implied one could do it (I concur). Do realize Yellowstone is HUGE (100 miles North and South, by 100 miles East and West) and traffic is generally slow (avg 40-45 mph) which can be additionally impacted by traffic stopping any time because of bison, elk or even deer in the road. Seems the animals have the right-of-way and they know it, cuzz they'll stand there for a while. So don't make this trip thru the Park unless you can afford the time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:10 AM   #12
NRA-Girl
Established Member

M.O.C. #17410
I was in Yellowstone a couple of months ago. I pulled the trailer from Jackson to W Yellowstone and then from there to the NE Exit. All of the roads were simple to drive. And this was my first trip ever towing anything.

You cross the continental divide a couple of times but if the sign did not say it you would not even know it.. There were other trailers and motorhomes all over the place.

So easy a cave man could do it.

Go and have fun.
One Goodyear Tire at a Time.
NRA-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We stayed there last year with our Big Sky and had no issues. We stayed up at the Mammoth CG and it was not an issue. We had plenty of room.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote