Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Any one at the Factory Read the Forum?

I follow the Ford and Ram forums. On the Ford forum a person from Ford will ask the poster to contact them so they can help solve a issue. On the Ram forum we get posters that actually work in the factories that make the parts used in the vehicle.

I have contacted Keystone on several issues and I have NEVER gotten any assistance other than to contact my dealer. My dealer only sells the product, their service department is a joke. Their entire parts department would fit in the back of my Honda CRV.

If Keystone/Montana is upping the game to a $100K 5th wheel, they need to up their game to support the folks that buy the lesser priced units to get us to believe there is support on the higher end units.

I know that if support does not improve, my next RV product will be one that has NO Thor business products. (Lippert, Kinro, etc) products in it. I'll go back to a diesel pusher, and trust me, I will know the name of every product in it before purchase.

I contacted Parkin-Accessories for help on a Kinro product. They answer the phone on the first ring. However because of the lack of customer service @ Kinro, they are having a problem finding a part I need.

Keystone, Montana, Thor, you need to get your customer service up to speed or you will be the next GOVERNMENT MOTORS thinking you are too big to fail.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
Great post!!
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
Jim, do you have a deck out in Colorado too. Must have had a cold one to get you this fired up. Must say I agree with you. Good post. Customer service, quality control gone. Hope they get it fixed. How is your trip other than your leaky window
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Another way to look at it is to do business with GOOD dealers, I would not buy from a dealer that service department was a joke and I could fit there parts department in the back of Honda CRV. Buy from reputable dealers. They do exist. Getting some parts can be a problem for any dealer, look at Dodge and frontend recall parts, or GM and recall parts.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

I contacted Parkin-Accessories for help on a Kinro product. They answer the phone on the first ring. However because of the lack of customer service @ Kinro, they are having a problem finding a part I need.
About 5-1/2 years ago, I ordered a window directly from a gal named Dawn at Kinro and found her to be most helpful. We were taking delivery on our new Montana in New Castle, IN and I was going to drive up to Elkhart to pick it up, but a snowstorm put the kybosh on that. Had them ship it to my house in Oregon instead, it was no problem for them, and it was very cost effective over going through a dealership. The shipping was cheaper than the cost of diesel if I had driven up to get it anyway.

Shortly after that they went through some restructuring and closing down one of the plants, so, don't know if she is still there or if the level of customer service is the same. But you might try going directly to Kinro and maybe get better results.

Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Great posting! I agree. Also, would you mind posting a link for the Ram forum? I want to join.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Great post! The auto company's have upped their game. I agree that Keystone needs to up their game. I suggested they "lurk in the MOC site" more then once. You have the greatest supporters right here! For goodness sakes, step in and solve their problems. For awhile "Marcus" read all the posts on RV / Goodsams net. Once in a while he actually sent personal emails. Too many projects today and others now do that job. Not as well I might add! It's not expensive and the feedback you get from loyal customers is the most useful! I plan to bring this subject up during the next rally!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I agree that one should be very careful when selecting a dealer. I would never spend this kind of money with a dealer operating out of a bus station locker!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:23 AM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
There's a problem selecting a 'good' dealer - they ALL claim to be that. The 50 mile away one we bought our '10 model at has everyone spouting the same sort of speech you can hear from those at the one closest to us, but the two service departments are worlds apart. The one near us even sells a top of the line DP brand, but you'd never know it by the way the service people act. The one we bought from wasn't what I'd consider the best, but they were at least reasonably close.

IMHO Keystone/Montana are only following the corporate management philosophy that their direct competitors are. Cut costs to the extreme to maximize profit. Quality products, components and customer service cost incrementally more the higher they are. It's all give and take if a company wants to have high market share in a certain price range and if they're a public corporation, they've got to have happy shareholders. Any that have a relatively problem free product will minimize customer service while looking ways to cut manufacturing & component costs. When they start having increased problems and customer dissatisfaction, they'll slowly adjust backwards until a satisfactory balance is achieved - and that balance will not keep some customers from being dissatisfied, it just keeps it down to a level the company can accept. Not a nice situation, but it is what it is.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
One full tank of diesel doesn't give me enough range to locate a dealer with a reliable service department out here. I look up on the service department wall and see the photos and lists of certifications of MASTER TECHNICIANS ... initially giving me confidence as to repairing my issue. Later I return to get my unit and realize my grandson's kindergarten class could provide healthy competiton for the tech that just made my problem worse. I envy those of you who can find a decent service department, but since I usually spin my own wrenches I just work around it. I'm fortunate that the selling dealership reimbursed me for parts while under warranty.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

There's a problem selecting a 'good' dealer - they ALL claim to be that. The 50 mile away one we bought our '10 model at has everyone spouting the same sort of speech you can hear from those at the one closest to us, but the two service departments are worlds apart. The one near us even sells a top of the line DP brand, but you'd never know it by the way the service people act. The one we bought from wasn't what I'd consider the best, but they were at least reasonably close.

Don't make a decision based on what the dealer SAYS about themselves but by what you observe them doing. I like to just have a coffee with them and talk about something other than the business at hand. I guess my top-notch dealer just has me spoiled...he doesn't make a habit of blowing his own horn.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #12
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Great posting! I agree. Also, would you mind posting a link for the Ram forum? I want to join.
Mark, this is the best one that I follow
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/
This is another one
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Joe, nope on the deck, but I do have a nice view of 13-14.000' mountains with a bit of snow pack. The pic in this link is what I see every morning after the fog lifts off the lake.
http://www.taylorparktradingpost.com/RV.htm
This link is pics from last year's trip. You got to get retired...
http://www.rzrforums.net/taylor-park...to-thread.html

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
there is one Mfg that I know for sure where the higher up's follow the forums and respond to any question or concerns and that is Grand Designs forums I know 4 people that own a Grand Designs and they have all had questions answered by the one of the Execs there you got to give them credit for listening to their customers
Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
There is another one that monitors their customers comments. They are in Smith Center, Ks.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/

Jim
Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Montana does monitor the forum but does not participate
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Our RV dealer is 30 min. From our home. We have never walked in their parts dept. and came out with what we need. It could be so much as a screw and they will find some reason they can't get it. We usually don't ever go there but at times we have hope lol. 2 days ago we called and asked if they could make a key. Yes... Told the parts lady ( who happens to be a relative of the owner) on our way. Arrived... Give her our key to match up she says cant do it no blanks. What we just called you said you could make the key. She said I said we could make it I didn't say we had blanks! That's what we deal with! Keystone really needs to look into the service their dealers provide. That's a big problem IMO.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I know that some Keystone folks read the forum. I have never seen one respond on the forum. Of course this is not a Keystone sponsored forum. Keystone has nothing to do with the forum. Keystone is a manufacturer of Rv's not a dealer. You cannot purchase a Montana directly from Keystone. The first response is always ....go to or call your dealer. You can not order a part directly from Keystone it must be via a dealer. Most vendors will not deal directly with a customer but only through a dealer.
Dealer service various from very good to awful. We have been fortunate to only have dealt with the very good ones.
I do not have the solutions to any of these issues but that is just the way it is.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Jim,
We'll be close neighbors at the end of August (if you're still there). We are spending a week at Lottis Creek campground.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Mark, this is the best one that I follow
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/
This is another one
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Joe, nope on the deck, but I do have a nice view of 13-14.000' mountains with a bit of snow pack. The pic in this link is what I see every morning after the fog lifts off the lake.
http://www.taylorparktradingpost.com/RV.htm
This link is pics from last year's trip. You got to get retired...
http://www.rzrforums.net/taylor-park...to-thread.html

Jim
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote