Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Roku

Our IT guy mentioned this to us the other day. Anyone use one?

(It's a streaming TV box.)

Cheers,
Betty

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Got it and am happy with it except that there's a lot of channels that you've got to pay for with a monthly subscription (such as Netflix & Hulu). The free stuff is good for older movies and TV and even then there's often a charge. Great if your internet is strong and you don't have good TV reception. The music options are terrific and programmable to your specific liking.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
We have it at our S&B home and like it. However, I don't know how it would be for fultiming because you need a strong and consistant internet stream.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
To utilize a Roku box you'll need good Internet connection, either wired (not much of an option in the RV world) or wireless which is the method of choice in RV's but can be expensive.

I don't personally know anyone who uses Roku in an RV, but that's not saying much, there's probably somebody out here who does.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Apple TV is better!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
HelloFreedom.us
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14122
Yes, I have 3 Rokus in my sticks-n-bricks (love 'em) and recently brought one over to try in my Montana. It was the last day of my monthly Internet cycle and I had a few GB to burn. After hooking it up, I played just one hour of HBO-GO and it used up 1.5GB. At $4.5 per GB through a Millenicom.com Hotspot plan, that is way too expensive for me unless I am at the end of my Monthly billing period and indeed have more GB to burn. But definitely not a regular every-day option. (I wonder if my Chromecast going through my iPhone will be just as much of a data hog?)
HelloFreedom.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Well, some us also have a life in the sticks and bricks and I'm here to tell you we love it. Cable has gotten way too expensive, so we just recently changed to basic cable and purchased turbo internet and got the Roku. We can now stream movies from Netflix and also, signed up for hulu plus. We have only had it for a week, but it is proving to be cheaper than paying cable TV for over 200 channel we don't want. There are many options out there. Some things are free and some things you pay for. The Roku was only $49.95 at Best Buy and was an easy install. When we go out on the road next winter, we won't use it, but it will be easy to cancel Netflix and Hulu plus and whatever else we sign up for as there are no contracts.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
We use just ovet the air tv when not hooked up to a CG's cable if they have it and also have Amazon Prime. With AP we get pretty much any tv show or movie along with free shipping on all Amazon orders for $100/ year. We plug our laptop into our TV with an HDMI cable and away we go.....works great!

Old 04-27-2014, 03:48 AM   #9
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Interesting that this is brought up again. We have Roku and our internet service just went up $15 per month, and that's for existing users. If you are a new subscriber it's $30 per month more than it was last year. Also, the "feed" isn't as fast as it used to be and they (Cox) is recommending the next speed up (even more $). I guess there is a mass-exit from Cable TV so they have to make it up somewhere else. It's a conspiracy I tell ya
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote