Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have a great time, like I said, homesick now! My mother was born in Broadway, if you drive through, wave at all my family!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #22
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I guss my wife and I are not into the paved road campgrounds all the time. I have several discount cards AOR ,CC ,Passport,Good Sams. We try to keep our expenses down.AOR for $6.00 is the first choice.Coast to coast for $8.00 is the second choice,Passport for half price is the third choice ,then Good Sams.If they have pavement, fine. Usually we dont stay to long at one place. The nearest grandkids are 450 miles,the next ones are at 1,300 miles and the next ones are at the Pacific Ocean coast line. We are on the road a lot, and know our favorite camp sites. We will not stay at a Wal-Mart parking lot,or a truck stop, or a rest area, these places give us the jitters.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Cheryl and I did a day trip to Mackinaw City for a pre-inspection of CGs for our July outing. Two of the CGs we check on were KOAs. One south of the Big Mac, and the other north of it. When I came back to the car and told Cheryl the price, her reaction was... well, it was negative, let's just say that. They were nice, but two weeks and you're looking at a house payment.

Maybe when I have my Prevost. Who camps at those CGs for that price, anyway??? Must be someone who goes camping once a year, and has to save up all year just to afford the park rate.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:11 AM   #24
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I think KOA is for families that have two or three children with them . The parents can send the kids to the pool and playground. It's a lot cheaper than a hotel for family vacations. But for us, we just want a nice safe clean spot to park our house while we visit the area around it. KOA is no longer an option.

Right now we are in a very nice clean park in Port Angeles, WA. The park has full hook-ups, free WIFI that works, not too shabby Television, (we use our dish anyway) and the sight is plenty big enough. They sell propane here, have movies for rent and a nice laundry. Cost is $21.00 a night. Wish we could find more across America just like it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:15 AM   #25
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Have to agree that Oregon SP's are first class. We have been hosting in them for the last 6 weeks and really enjoying it. We always stay in state or Corps of Engineers parks when we can, because we find commercial parks in general to be overpriced and offer much smaller sites. We use satellite TV, so we don't need cable, and we don't care about the pool tables, pinball machines and shuffleboard, etc. Unless we are staying a week or more we don't hook up to the sewer (which most SP's don't have). We prefer to use the dump station on arrival, while everything is still well sloshed up. The only amenities we miss are the laundry and WiFi. I guess everything is a tradeoff.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #26
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wifeofdano

Glenn & Lorraine, (or anyone really) Have you ever stayed at the KOA in Harrisonburg VA ? We'll be there next Tues for a couple of days. We're going to play around in the caverns on our way to PA for the weekend.
The only KOA we stayed at in Virginia was the Front Royal KOA. It was a real dump and is no longer listed as a KOA.

This maybe too late but while at Harrisonburg be sure to take in Luray Caverns but only after you have visited all the others as they will pale once you've been to Luray. In a one week stay we visited every cavaran within 50 miles and Luray was far and away the most beautiful.

http://fulltimingit.irv2.com/picscaverns.html
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:35 AM   #27
2Seekers
Established Member

M.O.C. #4341
Most seem to agree that KOA is overpriced for what you get. I spoke with a couple hosting a COE park last summer and had been hosting at several other parks for a while - including KOA. They said that the one place they never intend to host again is KOA because their pay is the lowest, long hours and the owners always expect the hosts to do everything - including the bathrooms. Interesting, huh?
2Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #28
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
An amendment to Steve's post on the first page of this thread ...

We are now set up at the KOA Circus Circus in Las Vegas. We selected this park simply because it was on the Strip and we were too lazy to do any more research. We have free wifi and, so far, the connection seems to be a good one. We are in a "premium" site and still trying to figure out what's "premium" about it ... this is essentially an enormous black top parking lot, although I do have to say at least we're not all jammed in ... the sewer connection is crappy (no pun intended) and difficult to connect to ... and, remembering that I'm a TV junkie, there is no cable and the broadcast reception stinks. All this for the Good Sam discounted price of $40+ tax per night!!!

I will not be in a big hurry to stay at another KOA anytime soon.

Oh, and it was 98 degrees when we got here!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #29
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Like most of you, we have tried KOAs and agree they are overpriced. However, for convenience (until we retire), we will probably continue to do so, depending on the circumstances. Some definitely do not live up to their description. Last month we took a 10-day trip from Stafford, VA to Charleston, SC. On the way down we stopped at the Fayetteville KOA. At $37 a night, that was a little spendy. However, the owners, Ralph and Marty, treated us like royalty, from check-in to check-out. We stayed there one night on the way down and 2 nights on the way home. They offer clean, level sites with a solar lamp on top of the hookups for those late night arrivals, a doggy pen with plastic bags (and a fire hydrant for your furry friends), as well as an RV washing area. Our 2nd day there, we realized that Joe and Vicki Kieva were there in their beautiful Country Coach! They were there when we got there and there when we left. Granted, we are not retired and fulltiming yet - that comes next year. But for a special treat to ourselves, when in the area, we will stay here!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #30
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Stayed at the Fayetteville KOA last May for 2 nights. We stayed partly for the free WIFI and it was last years KOA FREE night which made the rate a bit more reasonable. AND I will agree it was a nice park and we have no complaints. Passed it by this year as we would of had to pay the full rate. Found something just as nice but cheaper up the road.

As far as the KOA's being more for families. I have seen some KOA pools that I could darn near catch fish in. It looked like they pumped the water out the fish pond. There is no way I would let any kid of mine swim in it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #31
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I guess we have been really lucky with KOA. When we travel back and forth from Florida, we stay at KOA all along the way. The only place we have found over priced is the KOA in Nashville, Tn. We don't use KOA for an extended stay; we only stay overnight. Every park we've stayed in except Nashville has cable. The only park we found without internet is the Cordele, Ga park; but there is a TA right next door and we were able to hook up to their wireless. With our Cingular GSM card, I don't think the internet will be a problem.

Granted a couple of the sites were "iffy" on whether we could get situated, but overall, we have had good luck with KOA and will stay with them in the future if they are available.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
After all the knocking of KOA's that I did, I have to admit we have a reservation at the Fredericksburg (VA) KOA in July. We plan to take our granddaughters from the D.C. area there. We chose this park because it has the things we want/need for our time with the girls. Also, we drove through the park a couple of years ago although I do not remember much about it. Additionally, Bob and Sherri, good friends and the first MOC members we ever met (they live in nearby Richmond and we hope to visit them) tell us we will like that park. So I am hopeful. It is not a cheap park but it fits our needs for that particular week.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:38 AM   #33
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
KOA or Most Private parks are more pricey than State Parks.
State Parks are usually located away from the Interstate HWY.
In Texas I stay at Lake Ray Roberts State Park for $20. I have a park pass that allows me and anyone in my car admission. Camp-sites are Electric and Water only. Unless I stay more than 3-4 days my holding tanks will suffice. The Campgrounds have great bath and shower facilities. No BlackTop campgrounds. Trees all around.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

After all the knocking of KOA's that I did, I have to admit we have a reservation at the Fredericksburg (VA) KOA in July. We plan to take our granddaughters from the D.C. area there. We chose this park because it has the things we want/need for our time with the girls. Also, we drove through the park a couple of years ago although I do not remember much about it. Additionally, Bob and Sherri, good friends and the first MOC members we ever met (they live in nearby Richmond and we hope to visit them) tell us we will like that park. So I am hopeful. It is not a cheap park but it fits our needs for that particular week.
We are planning a trip to the D.C area this fall and were considering the above KOA.We would value your evaluation of the campground.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #35
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Well after all the talk about Crown Villa, we decided we had to see it so we are here for two night. Pricey - YES but free Wifi with an excellent signal, newspaper delivered to your door, free morning coffee, perfectly level pads, beautiful grounds (lots of grass), tennis courts, putting green alll in all a beautiful place. Most we have ever paid but never been in a place this nice.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:09 AM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Well after all the talk about Crown Villa, we decided we had to see it so we are here for two night. Pricey - YES but free Wifi with an excellent signal, newspaper delivered to your door, free morning coffee, perfectly level pads, beautiful grounds (lots of grass), tennis courts, putting green alll in all a beautiful place. Most we have ever paid but never been in a place this nice.
Happy trails..........................
What time does the maid show up?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #37
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I guess you just couldn't resist Sue? It is well kept, but pricey like you said. Hope the truck performed well and you have a great time on the remainder of the trip.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #38
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Glad you got to try that one Sue. That is one place that you get what you pay for. It is also where we met Montana Sky. I don't mind paying for a place like that for a few nights (in our case it was a week so we got the weekly rate) but I sure hate paying the same price for a place that is like the one that started this topic.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #39
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
No maid but I bet you could arrange for one! There is one of the maintenance men outside picking up any trash and sweeping the pads.
Helen
I agree with you. It will be hard not to compare other CG with this one from now on.!
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #40
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Is this the Crown Villa Resort in Bend, Oregon? I just googled that name and that's what I got. My husband's brother lives in Bend and we'll be visiting him after we retire next year. Looks like a great place to spend some time!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote