Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 AM   #61
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Hamrad,
I agree we need to develop energy from all sources. I expect it will be quite some time before this occurs nationwide or worldwide.
Whatever amount of oil found would help because we are not alone in this problem. Should we cut off food supply to the rest of the world because there is a shortage of some food products presently therefore treating food as we might any new oil that is produced?

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #62
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rich,

Did you actually check out the link you posted? The actual link is an ORG not a COM. And if you think that this is an environmentally sponsored link then we've got a major disagreement. It is obviously an oil industry sponsored link. That is exactly what I meant about checking for the source.

Thanks,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #63
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Oil down again today. Everyday Oil has went down since the President remove the ban on off shore drilling. If only we could open up ANWAR!!!! GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #64
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would assume that it is a oil industry sponsored link because it conflicts with the environmentalist point of view. I understand completely.The fact is ,in this case, I have one point of view and Dennis you have another as do many in our Government. The great thing about our form of Government is that we can have differing points of view and know that in time we will agree in a plan of action that will be of the greatest benefit to all of us. I forget which administration coined the term "miss information" in makes no difference. The term is another word for "A lie" There is a great deal of miss information about ANWAR and all one needs to do is to use your favorite search engine..read and analyze data from both sides of the issue and determine the real facts for your self. Of course one needs to be open minded and willing to consider both sides of the issue.... The folks who say..no never, no comprimise and the folks who say,,drill anywhere, no holds barred....are both 100% wrong..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #65
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We need prudent drilling practices (and marketing practices) and we need major changes in our alt E push - or lack of it. We also need NOT to forget this little lesson. I fear that you may be right, Rich, on an earlier post that we humans quickly forget the lessons of the past.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #66
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
WV's governor just announced a joint venture with Consol and the state to build a coal to liquid plant at a cost of $800 million. That is bad when the states have to take the initiative because the federal government won't. We shall see what comes from it. It is up in the northern part of the state so any pollution should migrate towards northern Ohio!! Just kidding Rich!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #67
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rich,

I guess my position on drilling has not been clearly stated on my part. I am not against all drilling. I think there are plenty of places for drilling. Just not everywhere and anywhere. What I am against is our continued dependence on oil. We need to be doing things to get us off oil dependence. We are doing hardly anything. And "drilling everywhere" simply keeps us on the road to dependence.

The other objection I have to the "let's drill everywhere" approach is that there is nothing to insure that the oil will be used here in the US.

And why did you delete the link?

Dennis
Old 07-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #68
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

The other objection I have to the "let's drill everywhere" approach is that there is nothing to insure that the oil will be used here in the US.
Dennis, I believe that this is a greater danger than choosing where to drill. Even if we do drill in more areas, environmentally sensitive or not, we need to take a real good look at this major problem. Yes, I know we are a global economy and yes I know that all oil companies are multinational.

HOWEVER, If we allow any company to come onto our soil and produce/mine our resources, then ship and sell these resources overseas - whether raw or refined products - while we as a country are starving for the end product of these resources (right or wrong), then something is terribly wrong.

I agree that we need to reduce our dependence on petroleum based fuels (still need petroleum for a slew of other products, though), but in the mean time we need a comprehensive policy that allows Americans to have first use of American resources... PERIOD!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #69
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

I guess my position on drilling has not been clearly stated on my part. I am not against all drilling. I think there are plenty of places for drilling. Just not everywhere and anywhere. What I am against is our continued dependence on oil. We need to be doing things to get us off oil dependence. We are doing hardly anything. And "drilling everywhere" simply keeps us on the road to dependence."

Dennis..Agree 100% I think many of us are saying just that.

We agree on more that we disagree. All one has to do these days is to look at the newscast out of China and note the smog and folks walking around with masks and the steps China is taking to make the air breathable during the games. Without environmental controls the USA would look like that and for those with a short memory.. did look like that not all that long ago and there are cities that still can look like that. I am more concerned about the miss information about the energy problem and there is a great deal of it from both sides. No we can not plunge into ANWR and recklessly drill without regard to the environment but there are controls in place to prevent that. There are huge areas in this country and in North America that have huge deposits of untapped energy and we can extract that energy without destroying the enviroment..We need to do that as PART..of the solution..
Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #70
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The controls you speak of can be only on paper. Did you see the television program about the oil shale being mined in Canada? They supposedly have strict environmental controls on this process and in fact Canada had indicated at the Kyoto Protocols that they would reduce their carbon footprint by 27%. Instead with all the shale oil mining going on they have INCREASED their footprint by over 32%!

It is that very sort of thing that we can look forward to when the oil companies start their "drill everywhere" approach.

Why did you remove the link?

Dennis
Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #71
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The link was incorrect..but here it is www.anwar.org

Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #72
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thank you.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #73
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Fortunately, the world's single-largest oil deposit sits right here in North America. Time magazine calls it "Canada's biggest buried treasure." It's an area with up to 2.5 trillion barrels of oil, locked in Alberta sand. That's eight times the total reserves of Saudi Arabia, enough to satisfy the world's demand for petroleum for the next century"

We don't want to disturb that do we ???
Old 08-01-2008, 04:27 AM   #74
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Excue me, but they are and have been tapping into the oil sands in Alberta for many years.
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #75
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I was just posting some RV parts on Craigslist and noticed several RVs being sold as "oil field condos" for the local drilling operations. I guess when fuel hits $7 - $8 a gallon, our rigs will still be useful to somebody!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #76
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Is it true the Chinese are going to drill for oil 50 miles from the coast of Florida?

It is true the Alaskan pipeline is 74 miles from the proposed drilling site in ANWR, we have the infrastructure there as per congressman Don Young, Alaska.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #77
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Great questions Thunderman. We have laws against drilling while others take it away froms us.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #78
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Is it true the Chinese are going to drill for oil 50 miles from the coast of Florida?"
"

Not exactly..Consult your favorite search engine and learn the truth.. This is a example of the miss information" or half truths we are subject to on a daily basis.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #79
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
The Chinese drilling is closer than we may think. They have a agreement with Cuba and Cuba has off shore rights within 45 miles of the Forida Keys. Perhaps the Chinese are 90 miles away.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #80
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

There is some truth in that but it is hard to separate the fact from fiction and it is not just the Chinese..the French and Canadians are in there also. The point is that other countries are interested in the oil deposits in the Florida Straights and may well secure the rights from Cuba to drill there while we enact laws to prevent us from doing so... Oh well on the bright side they can drill and slant drill, pollute all they want since they do not have the EPA or our law Makers to worry about then sell the oil to us making us more dependent on foreign oil..

I know, I know..We have a plan. Let everyone drill within Cuban waters and pollute the crap out of them.. Cuban fish will die, Cuban shores will will be awash in pollution.The entire island will become a choke zone...but our side of the intrnational waters will be pure and clean because we have the EPA.. and lawmakers that do not allow that...