Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Extended Warranty

I got a quote today for my 2010 Montana for extended warranty. It was through U.S. Warranty Corp.,Eagle Guardian Protector. 5 yr $200 deductible for working components, $1875 from my original dealership I purchased from. Also would get $75 discount if brought to that dealership. I got a quote from Wholesale Warranties for 4yrs and $100 deductible for $2675. Have any of you dealt with U.S. Warranty? This seems to be a good deal.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
good deal? really? sorry, a waste of $2000, in my opinion. put it in the bank.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have a 2006 Montana. My maintenance costs are annual expenditures for greasing wet bolts and every 2-3 years repack the wheel bearings-inspect the brakes. These items are not covered by an extended warranty. All the items covered by an extended warranty have worked. I don't have an extended warranty and would not buy one for our 2006 Monty. I did have an extended warranty when the unit was new--I think I broke even at best. Only the extended warranty company made any money!
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Flash..Extended warranty companies are in business to make money as all business is. We have had the extended warranty on both our Montana's and they served us well. They have covered failed holding tanks, hot water tank, cooling unit for fridge, failed wheel bearing causing wheel to separate from the Montana,failed awning. We have never had a issued with a extended warranty company. Personal choice of course.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Your Montana unit is 9 years old and getting older. Big ticket failure items include the Frig, where a new cooling unit and install labor would pretty much be more than your premium cost. My replacement was $1800 plus three hours labor. For me, was still under warranty. That would pay for your premium. I have lost AC units, MW units, and black Tanks over the years. Extended Warranties are great if you can use reliable mobile techs, rather than dragging to a dealership. Factors to consider, how long do you intend to keep the rig, how good are you at doing your own repairs, what exactly does the warranty cover. I have never had an extended warranty, lost a dometic AC over the summer this year, $700 bucks out of pocket to buy one, and a 12pack of beer each for two buddies who helped me get the old one down and the new one up. Lots of folks have and like them, lots of folks think a waste because never used them. If you feel comfortable go for it. But don't go by price alone, go by the specific coverage offered.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’d put the money in the stock market but that’s just me. I like gambling when the odds are in my favor.
It’s not my money. It’s yours. You do what you are comfortable with.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
If you put money in your budget to repair the items that going to be covered by the EW, then you have just given yourself a self-funded EW. It they never break, you win. If you have average repair issues you breakeven. If you don't have the fiscal discipline to manage this and just want the peace of mind that paying somebody else to handle it... for a price is for you... then go for it.

If you want to manage it yourself... Start off such a repair fund with the upfront cost of the EW, add to it regularly and you're probably good to go. If you want to take on some risk, you can do like Lynwood and buy you some nice dividend stock like AT&T currently paying out a 6% dividend. 1875 will buy 62 shares of it , at a dividend of 2.00/share thats 124 per year to add to the kitty.(2675 would buy around 90 shares or $180/year) AT&T is also relatively cheap right now, but the dividend is safe. If a big enough repair comes along, you sell the stock and use the proceeds to pay for it. If you really want to gamble, "pot" stocks are the speculative item in the markets these days. I don't recommend speculating unless you really know what you're doing.

JMHO.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not purchase the extended warranty on out first 4 Rv's.They were travel trailers We were weekend campers and the Rv's were much simpler.We did purchase them on our two Montana's as we are now long timers we do thousands of miles per year and these Montana's are much more complicated. We have the cornerstone ultimate coverage now
48 months at a cost of 648.75 per year or 54.06 per month. Recent example of EW use was a failed wheel bearing on the Montana resulting in the wheel separating from the axle causing 750.00 + of damage. The repair by a mobile repair service in a weigh station on I 95 in Florida cost me 100.00 out of pocket deductible.We cranked up the genny,put out out the slides made a few phone calls had lunch and watched TV in the Montana while the repair took place .Keystone customer service provided information and a local Montana dealer provided the parts and the mobile repair service.We were delayed 4 1/2 hours and never broke a sweat. The EW is for us part of the cost of Long timing Rv'ing and we budgeted for it. Just our experience.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Right on Rich.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #10
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
An extended warranty is a bet. When you buy the warranty you are betting you will use it and the insurance company is betting you won't. Any of the insurance company's going out of business lately?
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:31 AM   #11
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
OP is buying a soon to be 10 year old unit.
( in RV mfg. years)
I can’t see how this could be a mistake to purchase.
I just purchased a class “ C “ 5 years old and went with Wholesale Warranty
My service contact required an independent inspector to fine tooth comb the unit. Anything that didn’t work would have to be repaired and reinspected for coverage.

Either way is a gamble, it’s the price of peace of mind,
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
An extended warranty is a bet. When you buy the warranty you are betting you will use it and the insurance company is betting you won't. Any of the insurance company's going out of business lately?
Is not that the case with any insurance company.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
Rich, who do you purchase your warranty from?
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #14
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Take the money put it in a savings account and then add say $50.00 per month to it and then you have a repair fund. Learn to do as much as you can, avoid dealers as much as possible and you should be fine. You can now find parts for just about anything so no need to go to a dealer just be they have a relationship with the MFG.

Preventative Maintenance is 90% of the reason you won’t need a warranty, good luck in your decision.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #15
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
In my opinion the older Montana's have less problems. I am in the PREVENTATIVE maintenance camp. All I do is grease my bearings and wash and wax the outside and enjoy camping. You have to do what you are comfortable with.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarglenn View Post
Rich, who do you purchase your warranty from?
Cornerstone.I believe it is only sold thorough a dealer. They are easy to work with. We have never had a problem with them.