Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Shortbed, reg. bed or longbed

Okay Gang, after 2 years of reading it's time for my first post. My wife and I are looking to order our first 5er this year, and are looking at TV's. Depending on who I talk to, whether it's the Montana factory rep, owner or a dealer, I get different takes on can I pull okay with the short bed. I see quite a variety of the 3 in your postings. I'm worried about the backing and turning point of things. Thanks for your "know how" in advance, D

Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the MOC forum - a fine place to learn and meet great people. We started out with a long bed and it worked fine. We then got a short bed and, using a slider hitch, it works fine too. So, in my opinion, go for what you like best and enjoy the journey!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
I got a short bed and 5th airborne w/sidewinder.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
D,
I think Jim gave the best advice. Get whatever you think works best for you. Any short bed will give you a shorter turn than a long bed. But you have to consider what you will carry. Both while towing and when not towing. What works good for you may not work well for someone else.

With the sliding hitches the problem of having the trailer and truck touch is pretty much done away with. But that is another expense.

We have a long bed and that is probably what I'd get if and when we get another truck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had 1 truck with a short bed and found that we could not do somethings with it. Also slider hitches are quite expensive. But what it comes down to is the truck that suits your life style.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We have a short bed with a slider and have only used it once. If you like the short bed then I would say to go ahead and get that. If I had to do it all over again I would still get the short bed but would probably not get the slider. I think I can manage in any situation without one, just watch what you are doing.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had a long bed and enjoyed the freedom of turning, and the inexpensive hitch.

I did see a short bed with a monty on it pull out of a CG. He just "didn't want to release the slider." Popped his back window out.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If you plan on long timing or full timing in the near future, you will enjoy the extra space in the long bed. Turning in a short bed depends on the hitch you buy. Auto sliders seem more expensive. However in a long bed you can install any hitch you want including the several air hitches available. I would prefer a short bed for daily driving but need the long bed to haul with because of extra bed space....I just park way out in the parking lots. Your money, your choice. Good luck and hope to see you on the road some day.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Important to review all options for your application. A short bed will normally give you a tighter turning radius, therefore easy parking in congested areas. The long box has more space and will give a better ride do to length. We run a long box dually and love it, we also use this truck for purposes that require a long box.
Good luck in you search and hope you will be satisfied with your decision,
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I've been towing a 5er with our sb for 9 years this April. Have never used the slide mechanism, but it is there if needed.
The bed size you get should depend on your personal needs as noted in prior posts.
As a side note, the Trailer Life Towing Guide for 2010 has a disclaimer in it that sb's should not be used to tow a 5er, go figure, I've always been known for doing things wrong!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have a long box and a long wheelbase. Much more stable IMHO. For me its a safety factor.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
We have a short bed with a slider, works well. My feeling is just make sure you get a truck that is capable of towing the weight with a little to spare. short or long bed is your personnal choice, don't believe the truck salesman, he will want to sell you anything he has on the lot, check the truck ratings yourself for towing capicity etc: and good luck...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
racerjoe and others have hit the nail on the head! It all depends on what you like and as racerjoe said "don't believe that salesman" do you own checking. I have a SB 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax/Allison with single real axle and a slider hitch and use the slider regularly. Better safe than sorry I always say! I also have a sliding cover on my SB and that takes up about 8-10 inches of the box and still have no problems for space with the slider. I like the SB and the manual slider works well for me. Can't justify the extra expense on the autosliders myself. The TV will depend on you and the size of the Monte you will be towing. You'll hear many stories on brand but the Big 3 are about the same. Remember one thing, in most cases the difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton is normally an extra set of springs on the rear and sometimes the rear end specs and that's normally it. I own a 2980 and tow it very easily with my 3/4 ton and have no problems stopping or climbing grades with it, so decide what you like and what you really need and good luck! Hope to see you along the highways and biways in the future!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have used both a short and now a long bed truck. I like the extra space and the ride of the long bed, IMHO, is smoother. That being side the long bed can add up to big savings. One you can use any hitch and not worry about clearance and the other is long beds come with a gas tank that is worth having. Probaly 35-36 gallons compared to 25-26 gallons. Now I know you can spend $500 -$1,000 to either put a large tank under the bed or give up what little bed you have for an extra tank.

Good luck
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #15
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
As said above... their are pros and cons and you have to make the decision as what's best for you. I have my opinion but won't give it here because it fits my needs and how I use my truck. Others will have different opinions. Both the short bed and long bed will work towing the Montana. Think through the differences and make up your mind based on your use and needs.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #16
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

I have used both a short and now a long bed truck. I like the extra space and the ride of the long bed, IMHO, is smoother. That being side the long bed can add up to big savings. One you can use any hitch and not worry about clearance and the other is long beds come with a gas tank that is worth having. Probaly 35-36 gallons compared to 25-26 gallons. Now I know you can spend $500 -$1,000 to either put a large tank under the bed or give up what little bed you have for an extra tank.

Good luck
Mark
Mark, I think my 2000 SB F250 only had a 26 gal tank but my shortbed Dodge has a 39 gal. gas tank. Jim
Old 02-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #17
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Pro's as mentioned for 8ft bed Longer wheel base more room in bed and the GM roducts have 34 Gal tank vs 25.the only con as I see it is at times parking can be a challenge and some may have issues with a garage.I would not be without 8ft with extended cab
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:34 AM   #18
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You have received lots of good info on pulling Monty and hitches. Other things to consider are tool boxes and upgrading fuel tank (replacing original) or adding an additional tank. Those items need to be researched before you choose the short bed. Again it is what ever fits your need.
I do have a long bed.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have a long bed. We purchased it for two reasons; Larger fuel tank and no need for the extra expense of sliding hitch. It is the 2nd long bed we have owned while towing 5ers. It is also an extended cab so we are very long. Parking is sometimes a problem but the back of the parking lot usually has enough empty spaces to take up two.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have towed with shortbeds since 1995 and all of our seven years of fulltime traveling. I know some use a shortbed without a slider but I wouldn't do it without the slider. It only takes once to cost you serious bucks in repairs. I used to have a manual slider. It works well so long as you don't get complacent about using it (ask me about that). Now I have the automatic slider.

As for a longbed being more stable, that's not really true except in certain somewhat extreme situations. It's really the wheelbase that has more to do with stability than the length of the bed. For example, my shortbed Dodge megacab has exactly the same wheelbase and overall length as does the Dodge quadcab (crewcab) longbed. It uses the exact same frame. And my shortbed Dodge has a longer wheelbase than any brand's standard cab longbed and probably the extended cab / supercab longbeds, too. It's NOT bed length that impacts stability, it's wheelbase.

In my opinion both the longbed and the shortbed will do the job just fine but with the shortbed I'd include a slider hitch so you can avoid the possible crashing of truck to trailer.

One last thing, in some threads we've had folks concerned whether the Dodge megacab's shortbed is too short for towing. It is a shorter shortbed than the Dodge quad cab and also shorter than the Ford and GM shortbed. But I did some measuring before purchasing. The critical length is cab to axle. And in that measurement there is no significant difference between my 2005 Ford and this 2007 Dodge megacab. And, if I recall, the GM was very close to the same. Not enough to worry about. The megacab shortbed is shorter behind the axle which only counts if you're carrying lumber. It's only impact on towing is you have a little more room to get the front locker door open when hitched up, although I don't know if that's doable or not. My 2007 Montana doesn't have that problem.

By the way, my shortbed megacab Dodge has a 34 gallon fuel tank, which is the standard tank, at least in the 2007 model. But in some brands the shortbed does come with a smaller tank.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote