Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
Hot Schott

M.O.C. #19725
Seam separation under front slideout

I don't know what is going on, the seam under the front slide out on my 2017 3950BR Montana is buldging out, causing the seam strip to come off. Does anyone know what is happening? I'd post a picture if I could figure out how. It is about a 4inch seam right under the front bedroom slide out towards the front of camper on drivers side. The front cap is buldging out about a 1/2 inch and the strip covering the seam has come off. The part under the slide out seems to be in place. I'm past the 1 year warranty and I sure hope it's not a weld break on the aluminum frame. Anyone know what is happening?

Hot Schott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
You might want to re-post this in the correct sub-forum; MOC on M.A.R.S. Or, ask a moderator to move it.

Sorry, but it sounds like you have a stud with a broken weld. Keystone is aware of this issue and has fixed many of them. When my unit was at the service center, there were several others in for the same issue. They said they were going to train dealers to make the repairs; don't know any more about that.

You need to call Keystone Owner Relations (574) 534-9057 and open a ticket; see what they tell you to do. They will probably want a dealer to evaluate it. Take pictures.

Here are a couple links to other threads about the problem.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=75242

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=69100
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
My story is the second one posted. There have many since then and Montana hasn't changed anything. They do have a bulletin out now on how to repair it and have several repair facilities around the country that does it. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Frame failure as stated, call Keystone.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Hot Schott

M.O.C. #19725
Thank you everyone. I contacted Keystone, they said take to my dealer and have them look at it and we proceed from there. I just hope Keystone stands by this failure, and it doesn't cost me. This is not my fault, but the one year warranty is over. I'm guessing this is not a cheap fix.
Hot Schott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
and off to the races

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Schott View Post
Thank you everyone. I contacted Keystone, they said take to my dealer and have them look at it and we proceed from there. I just hope Keystone stands by this failure, and it doesn't cost me. This is not my fault, but the one year warranty is over. I'm guessing this is not a cheap fix.

Not a club I wanted to join after a year of ownership. My RD just went in yesterday for the exact same thing in the exact same spot doing the exact same movement as Golfmedik`s. Yours no doubt will be the same but because of a different wall stud. Called Keystone to start a file and explain the problem.
They wanted pictures of my camper, my truck, my truck hooked to the camper, my hitch, all 4 sides including the rear. I know what they were doing they were fishing for an excuse to deny the 3 year warranty for something they felt I did that would have cause this. Don`t know how to react to this other than be very cautious what you say to them. Keystone said to take it to the selling dealer for diagnosis and develop a plan for repair. I did tell them to question the dealer, CW, as to their competence to do this complicated repair. After what Golf went through I told them not to waste my/our time with people that haven`t got a clue and just assumed they tow it back to the factory for repair so it can be fixed right the first time so we can all go on about our lives. My dealer just fired the Service manager and lead tech but was told they hired a new manager( 2 weeks ago ) and a new lead tech so everything is fine now LOL LOL. Just don`t have a warm and fuzzy feeling after he wrote up the repair order for me to sign as a Forest River camper after we both just went out and looked at the area of concern. I guess those MONTANA letters should be bigger. Maybe he just needs glasses. I have a problem dealing with people that think they know what they are doing but don`t, must be my 27 years as a business owner.
I read Golf`s entire thread and he kept his cool through the whole ordeal and finally had a good out come to date but I would have gone berserk by page 5. I told the wife if CW blows this we will just take the unit to Amish Family RV repair in Elkhart,( a 1000 miles out ) they have the experience with this particular repair as some of the factories send them the broken units to fix. I will pay for this myself and just caulk it up to cost of ownership and move on. If you get suck paying for this my suggestion is to take it there.
This is an on going problem that has been reported on other brands fourm boards with varying results.

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote