Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
"05 Ford 350 Rear Brakes

Neighbor is trying to repace pads on the rear and can't get the rotors off. Any tips on removing the rotors?

Thanks
Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Not sure about 05 ... on my 2000 the rear disc is part of the wheel. Have to remove the bolts on the end of the axle ... remove axle, then wheel housing as you would say a boat trailer spindle housing. Sounds like a job, but really isn't. make sure oring on end of axle flange is OK before reinstallation.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The rotor is held on by a spindle nut which is turn held in place from spinning off by a cotter pin. I am only doing this from memory on other vehicles I've done, but did you remove the nut that holds the bearings on at the center spindle? You have to remove the cotter pin that keeps the nut in place, too. Then you need to remove the bearings from the spindle?

Has this person EVER done a brake job before? This job can be messy because of all the grease. He may also end up checking the wheel bearings and will need some new grease to repack and reinstall the bearings. You must keep all the dirt and dust away from the bearings, bearing surfaces and the grease.

I have not had to do a brake job on my Ford F-250 but it will be the same as an F-350 and I hope this is what to expect. This is often why a brake job will include a wheel bearing inspection/repack.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Thanks dieselguy and Art. He had a couple of friends stop by and they got the axle out and rotor off. Hopefully it can be turned, it looks pretty bad. On those "floating axles doesn't the rear end oil lube the bearings? When the axle came out some hypoid oil? came out also. Will need to refill that.

Thanks again
Ray

PS MOC is the greatest.
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Yep ... on this type of axle, the rear end oil lubes the outer axle bearings also ... shouldn't have lost much, just remove the plug in the differential housing and check. Ford recommends packing the bearing with hard grease before you button it all back up.
Art: At least on a 1 ton ... you have to pull the axle first, there is no cotter pin ... some fancy little lock washer.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the heads up DieselGuy. One has to pull the axle? I could not believe that jackandh2o had posted that bit of task.

Now I am not looking forward to brake jobs on the TV. I am getting too lazy, too old, too weak and too ignorant for this stuff. Maybe when I get the new wheels and tires for my TV I'll have them do the brakes too. ChaChing!!! No wait, it's "Shwipp", the sound of the credit card being swiped.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote