Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The BEST reason for the 2nd A/C is......

when it is 90+°s with humidity and the main A/C stops working. At least it will be cool sleeping tonight.

Without going up on the roof I have done everything I can think of and it's still not cooling. The fan and AC both run so it's not an electrical problem and YES there is sufficient voltage. Any ideas????

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
The only idea I have is that the evaporator(inside coil) is frozen over from the high humidity. Try running it on fan only and see if that thaws it out. My remote controlled thermostat has an orange light that flashes every second to indicate defrost mode. Your may be different. Just a thought. Hope you get cooler.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
When mine did that, it was simply a dirty filter. You have probably checked that already, but just a thought.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Give Ozz a call
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
farmboy, Did that to no avail. In fact the AC was turned off overnight which gave it plenty of time to defrost. I turned it on this morning and left the trailer. Returned a bit later and nothing.

Mike, I had cleaned the filter about a week ago and it was not dirty when I looked at it again yesterday.

Dennis, I was hoping he would have checked in by now. If he doesn't respond shortly I will send him an Email.

I should also point out that the 13,5 AC in the bedroom is helping during the day and when the sun goes down it ain't all that bad. If I don't learn anything else from this AC problem the one thing I did learn is I will never be without that 2nd AC. NO WAY JOSE!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Glenn- probably not what you want to hear but I had to have my whole unit replaced late last summer -- similar circumstances -- hot, humid and unit had been running well for quite a while. Suddenly no cool air -- but fan, and compressor (as best we could tell) was still running. Dealer said that vibrations had worn / broken a hole in the condensor line(s) and all freon had leaked out. Was still under warranty so they replaced whole thing.... Hope your's is easily fixed.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Skypilot you hit the nail on the head. From everyone I have spoken to they all feel the same way.
Now seeing as how Dometic is located in Elkhart and seeing as how we are about to depart for Goshen me thinks I will wait until the manufacturer has a look see.
Will report back with any findings.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I agree, if the fan is running and the compressor is running and you still have no cooling, the possibilities are valves out inside compressor, crank shaft broken inside of compressor or all or most of the refrigerant has leaked out. However it should be verified that the compressor is indeed running before condeming the unit. It could be as simple as a bad capacitor or contactor or control relay. I spect the folks at the rally can verify.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That little sensor up inside on the fins (can't remember what you call it) wouldn't have anything to do with this would it? Just grasping at straws.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Glenn,
Check the plenum from inside and see if you see daylight anywhere. Some good Gorilla tape will fix the daylight holes. It may be that the fan is sucking in warm air.

Just a thought.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote