Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Passport America is it good?

I have been looking at the membership in Passport America. It looks like it might be worth signing up. Anyone have any thoughts on them.

DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
This has been and will be in the future, kicked around. It is a good deal as long as it works for you. I have looked at the parks available and few are where I plan to go. I guess what it comes down to is you have to explore the advantages and determine if it is for you. So far I have not seen any advantage to joining, but that can change if my travels change.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
We have Passport America - I always look there first to see if there is a park where we are heading - some of them are really nice and some of them are duds - we will be staying in one in Chandler, OK next week - has a web site and looks pretty nice - only $9. with PA and has a storm shelter! Then in Corona, CA we are staying for 5 nights at a PA park, also has a web site, which is really nice and only $15.50 a night - this is half price for both of them so with only those 2 parks we have our money back for the year plus - you can get on thir website and see what they have - lots of states they don't have much, but lots they do!

S
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Don,

We've used them for a couple of years now and as has been mentioned it works for some folks, like us.

We travel from AZ to the east coast every year trying different routes each year. It has been usefull.

This year we wanted to spend a couple of weeks along the coast of Maine. The going rate seemed to be about $50 a night. We found a highly rated PA Park near Bangor that we're going to stay at for two weeks for $15 a night. That right there saved $210.

You'll need to look closely at each Campgrounds restrictions, because there are lots of restrictions.

Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Chuck & Suzanne,

We have used that one in Chandler. Good stop over place, far enough off the Freeway so you don't hear it. Nice little park to stroll around. We'll use it again this year when we return to AZ.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We saved quite a bit last summer in our travels. Worth renewing. Some parks were good, some not so good. Beaver, Utah comes to mind. Only cost $8, was not much of a park, no amentities except had a Mexican restaurant with some of the best food we've had. It had electric and water and that is all we cared about at the time. If you decide to join, please use our number for a referral C-441003.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I stayed 12 days at one site that accepted PassPort America. I did not have it but had already paid for the full stay. I called and got my number and gave it to them the refunded me $88.00 and the membership cost only $45. So it is worth it. Just remember to see how each camp grounds handles it.
Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Be sure to check the note section of each park. They sometimes only honor PA on Sun through Tues or it will say 1st night only (sometimes they go ahead and give you more). But all in all it has been very good for us.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have replied to this question so many times that I now have an answer saved in my Words file..

I would strongly suggest joining Passport America. Passport America member parks will give a 50% discount on their nightly rates. Each park has it's own conditions/restrictions as to when and for how long the discount applies. These conditions can be found on either the Passport America website or in the Book you will get as a member. The cost to join is $44 per year but you can make that up the first week you are out camping. The second campground we stayed at after joining charged $40 per night, we stayed 4 nights at $20 per night. You do the math. Last spring we spent 6 nights at Elite Resorts near Ocala, Florida. The parks rate was $32.00 a night, we paid $16.00 dollars a night. That was a savings of $96.00.
If you do decide to join please reference the following number as it will get me a discount off of next years dues. #CW335639
Email me or send a Private Message if you would care for additional info.

BTW--Since leaving Florida on May 6th we have already saved $20 and that was at the first cg we went to. I will be staying Fri and Sat. nights this weekend and will save another $30. That'll be 50 bucks saved in just one week.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We also joined PA and got our money back on our first trip to Florida. A really nice campground in Georgia was Fair Harbor in Perry.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The membership is I think 44.00 per year. we use PA whenever we can when traveling and have recouped our 44.00 many times over.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have been PA members for several years and will continue that membership. We recoup the fee in two or three nights' stay and then reap good savings the remainder of the year.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Elko, Georgia also has a very nice PA campground, where we have met for the spring southeast gathering.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As you can see, there are those who like PA and those who don't. We are in the category of not liking membership in PA. Although you can recoup your cost, too many parks are just not in the areas where we travel and those that are either seem to be "just stopped being a part of the system" to "Oh, we don't allow it on weekends or holidays." It just seemed to us to be a nuisance so we stick with what we've got.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We had it for a year and decided not to renew. Parks seemed to be below par as far as we were cocerned. But, it is a matter of choice. We never stay at WalMart either and that is pretty much free.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #16
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We are members, but as stated, there are many restrictions as to how long you can stay and on what days.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote