Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #21
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Prior to Delivery Inspection, either to a dealer or to a customer. Most of us do our own PDI before we sign and take delivery.

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #22
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
What makes you think GD is superior? This one did not make it a short distance from the dealer home,,,
This is DAM sad...……..like some thing you would get from China. The maker of this RV needs to be FIRED!
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #23
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bob-- PDI stands for: Pre Delivery Inspection It is what every new or used buyer should be doing BEFORE they sign the contract for the unit from a dealer. Actually, the dealers should be doing this also to make sure they have a unit that has been shipped to them in the correct condition. Some dealers just take the unit after delivery and put it on the lot without even checking them out when the transporters bring it to them. A good dealer will check it out from top to bottom and inside and out to make sure everything is in working order and ready to go out to the campground.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #24
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
mhs4771-- Keystone did indeed build a new PDI building BUT they are not PDI'ing each and every unit that comes off the line. This is suppose tobe done by the section supervisor at each station as the units move down the line. They are pulling a unit off the lot or off the line and pull it into the PDI building and do a thorough inspection of the unit. Also several of the executives at Montana Division are randomly pulling a unit off the line or the lot waiting for departure to the dealers or customer weekly and doing their own PDI. If an area shows up as a problem two times or more, the team leader/supervisor for that area is called in and made aware of the problem and is expected to correct this problem. We just returned from Goshen and our organizational meeting with the Montana executives for the upcoming Fall Rally and this is what we were told and saw. We think this is a great way for Keystone and the Montana Division will improve the QC on the units going out to the dealers.
And Keystone will always tell you that your already getting a 80k plus unit MSRP and you will be buying it for way less, so what's your beef. You see they appraise their product High for two reasons, first Taxes, second is in Court we being sued. Just remember RV makers have NO assets. Collecting for repairs.....you are at their Mercy. They trust you, like you trust them but they are going to get their money! The customer use to right, not this day and age.
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
And Keystone will always tell you that your already getting a 80k plus unit MSRP and you will be buying it for way less, so what's your beef. .... Two Montana's since 2006.We have travelled over 130K miles in them, We attend every fall rally. I have never heard any Montana executive making that statement
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #26
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
Thor industries owns Keystone, Dutchman, Crossroads, Integra Couch, Thor Coach, Jayco, and others. I have heard of complaints of declining quality about Integra, Thor Coach, and Keystone. While I am sure the after effects of the recession hurt the industry, these brands seem to have suffered the most. Food for thought.
shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #27
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quality is down across the board, from 5k travel trailers to 500k + coaches. With so many people getting into RV's full time, they're pumping them out quicker today then 5 or even 10 years ago, so it's all about the bottom line. It's easier to pump out 50 a day with some issues and have the dealer repair them then it is to properly do a quality check. However, to do a thorough quality check of each unit as it came off of the line, would cause a huge shortage in inventory at the dealers which could cause higher prices then we see today with the surge in popularity of RVing.

We spoke to a camping neighbor on our last trip that had a 450k motor coach, had it for 8 months and 6 of those it was in the shop, from slide issues, transmission blowing up, fridge, floor, leaking, etc. so it's all over these days. It's not just the Montana issue it's really a THOR issue
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #28
Bridge4d
Established Member

M.O.C. #21290
I heard the Quality Director at Keystone left leaving his assistant to take over the job...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cross-eyed.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	3697  

2022 3761FL Legacy
2022 F450 Dually
Bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #29
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
@Bridge4D, things are looking up!
Old 05-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #30
cghsatx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22453
A lot of forum members think its just part of the RV experience. My 2019 3731 has been a pain from day one. The dealer has had it almost as much as I have. I used it this weekend and notice the inside door knob in the bathroom is cracked and the "veneer" is peeling off is the top right inside corner. Also discovered the kitchen area vent wont open unless the fan is on. The other 2 will open the vent without the fan running. This is after numerous issues that basically took all of last summer/fall to fix. I would get rid of this thing in a heart beat but you're looking at 50 cents on the dollar on a trade in and not much better on private sale. I would recommend looking elsewhere if shopping for an RV
cghsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #31
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Don’t forget we ask much of these rigs. Climate is tough enough in where we want to go or be, but hauling all over takes a toll as well. Some of these issues can be related to airflow through our travels. I have had 2 that went from cold to warmer and forgot to open the top hatches to let it breath. Upon arrival it was noticed that they sweated really bad and caused some of these issues. Since, I always install the hatch covers over the hatches and always be sure to to crack a couple. Just make it part of the preflight checklist! Those additional covers should really be standard equipment.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #32
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Pre Delivery Inspection, I think.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #33
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
We just bought our 2nd DRV to live in full time. Bought the first new in 2004. Still great quality but still some little things...

Many of the manufacturers in Indiana use Amish labor. They used to brag about the quality but no more. Apparently they started paying piece rate and much less by hourly rate. The workers get their mínimums done and are back working on the farm by 1 pm.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #34
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
We have a 381th that aside from a leak & a bunch of minor issues, which I ended up correcting I think the rig is built pretty good. Gross trailer wt is 17k, 3550lbs cargo capacity, it has three 7k axels, 21k worth of tire capacity, 3/4" plywood floor with 12" I beams. Fit & finish are good, everything seems to work as it should, ac, heat all good, maybe we got lucky. The fiberglass gel coat looks way better than GD, huge front window that looks great. we have been buying campers since the early 90s & I think they have gotten better, this is our 8th rig & I feel the best yet & when you compare the amount of complaints vs what we dont hear about you have to assume their are a lot of happy owners, at least I hope so.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #35
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
In the "For What It Is Worth" category, I have owned a 2003 Monty 3295RK for many years. Only major complaint so far is lousy decals peeling and fading.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #36
kench
Established Member

M.O.C. #18135
PDI is Pre delivery inspection. RV ers are great for using first letters rather than full words. Still Haven't figured out what DW is ….
HELP!!! And I too bought some of Keystones secondXXXXXX third rate product
kench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #37
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
DW = Dear Wife.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #38
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinell30 View Post
Why has the Montana, and when did the Montana get built so shabby. I for one can't understand where the quality control has gone? My son just took delivery of a new 2020 Montana today. Doors that wouldn't latch, one battery instead of Two (He ordered Two) LED lights missing on the outside, half there and half missing, Master Bedroom TV not there, nail holes partially filled with putty, etc..... This should not happen! poor quality control at factory needs to get fixed! I shutter to think what will happen on his 1st trip out, will the furnace work, will toilet flush, will the sewer drain,? Small things so far, but no reason for it. Keystone fix it!
It has continued to decline and will continue until we quit buying.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote