Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
kbr278
Established Member

M.O.C. #3264
2 x 4 versus 4 x 4

We are looking at a Dodge 3500 2 x 4 and a 4 x 4. Does anyone have any input as far as towing. Is there any problem with the height of 4 x 4 in getting the fifth wheel level or is there enough adjustment in the king pin to make up the difference. I know the 4 x 4 drops tow weight about 4-5 hundred pounds but does increase payload a bit.Purchasing a 3685fl. Also how much difference is there in fuel mileage.all comments would be helpful.

kbr278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
kbr278,
We bought our 4x4 knowing that we'd probably be buying a 5er within a year or two, and that's what happened. Got the 4x4 because I'd always wanted one and we do just enough dry camping to make it useful. The difference in height is not an issue, especially as the pin weight or our rig makes the back end sag just a little (the truck, not me!), although I'm putting on air bags next month. The height on most stock 4x4s is not that much higher than 4x2s, although I think I remember a thread here where someone said they felt the Dodge was higher than others. That being said, most hitches have some adjustment and so do most king pin boxes, so you should be able to make it fit. As to fuel mileage, I've only had the 4x4 with the diesel, previous TVs were 4x2 gasoline, so I can't compare. I'm sure others here have had more experience.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
All of these discussions are personal preferences because we end up justifying what we want to do. My choice was for a 2X4 because I didn't want the additional weight and because I didn't want the increased fuel usage. Bill's statement, "I got it because I always wanted one," is a good enough reason to get it. Everything is a trade off. So....Buy a truck and be happy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Got the 4X4 because I had a 4X4 previously and never gave a 2X4 a thought. AND my decision was a good one as I have had at least 4 instances where I needed the 4X4. The very first was in my own backyard when I first got the Monty. To make loading it a bit easier I set it up on the grass in the backyard just outside of our patio doors. When I was ready to move the rig around front the grass was still wet with dew and I was on a very slight grade. That Monty just sat there while the Chevy's rear wheels just spun. Put it in 4 wheel low and away we went. The second was again on wet grass in a camp site and the other 2 were in Florida in loose sand. I hate to admit this but I even witnessed a Ford 4X4 pull a fellow's Chevy and his Jayco out of the mud. Of course the Chevy was a 2X4.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:15 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you need a 4x4 then get one.If you just want one then get one.In 20 years of pickups and camping we never had the need for one so did not get one. If we get stuck in the mud somewhere we have AAA to yank us out or the campgrounds usually have a tractor to do that. They do sit higher and you see a lot of folks turning the axels over..don't like that as it seems to be a safety issue. Now we did have a 4x4' up in our hunting camp in the PA mountains because you needed it. I would rather pull the extra camper weight than the 4X4 weight....however....any reason is a good enough reason to get one or not to.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:22 AM   #6
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
our reason for choosing a 4X4 are very similiar to that expressed by Glenn & Lorraine ... over the years we have had numerous occassions where we needed 4-wheel drive for only a few feet ... we live in NC and my wife is from SD, consequently we have chosen to try and always have at least one 4X4 in which we could make an emergency trip at any time of the year ... on one such trip several years ago a major snow storm in the midwest required us to drive in 4-wheel drive for well over 1,000 miles on the way out and almost 800 on the way back ... it is true that having 4-wheel drive will slightly reduce fuel mileage, makes the TV somewhat heavier and increases the number of parts in the vehicle that must be maintained ... that being said, for us the positives far outweigh the negatives

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:44 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We towed this Montana for many miles with a 4x2 and didn't see a need for 4x4. The next truck happened to have 4x4 (bought off the lot) and we found several occasions we were glad to have it. A couple of times we'd not have got out of a site with a 4x2 because of heavy rains. But those times really are rare. The current truck I specifically wanted 4x4 because of the experiences with the prior truck. When we left Savannah in early March, shortly into South Carolina we decided to make a route change. So I pulled over on the grassy shoulder. I had a brain freeze moment because I knew there had been a lot of rain in the area in the prior month. Sure enough, two-wheel just spun the rear wheels. Put it into 4x4 and pulled right out of there. Otherwise it would have been a Good Sam ERS moment. So, for us it will forever after be 4x4. That doesn't mean a 4x2 isn't doable. You may never have need for 4x4. We also are finding some places we like to explore where the road require 4x4 to get through safely.

As for height, I can't speak for the Dodge but do know that on the Ford there is plenty of adjustment in the pinbox on the Montana and the hitch in the truck bed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
2x4 or 4x4 is a personal choice. As to the other question we have an 05 Dodge 4x4 and there is no problem with the height. Didn't need to flip axels just adjusted the hitch and I have about 5" clearance and the unit tows level.

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Our truck is also my hunting vehicle. I was traveling through fields and across gullies last year where a 4x4 was essential in Wyoming. We have had occasions where we even stuck the 4x4's. One year we used a small Isuzu trooper to pull out a government predator control officer out of a mud hole. Was he glad - it was a five mile hike out to the hard road where his radio would work. As my hunting partner is fond of saying - not much we buy is about need, its about want.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Padredw and I were talking about this on Sunday when we got together at Stone Mountain. He said there are two clear camps on this, and I confessed that I fall into the one that strongly believes in having the 4x4. The second time we tried to put the Montana in the back yard, we became seriously stuck. Once four wheel drive was engaged, however, we were quickly out of our predicament. It made a firm believer of me.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:33 AM   #11
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
4x2 or 4x4 - personal preference. In 30 plus years of owning various trucks (4x4 and 4x2) I have only needed 4 wheel drive once (last summer in GA running from a hurricane). And, even if I would have had 4 wheel drive, I would have still needed a tow truck to get me out of the GA clay.

It all comes down to what you need to get the job done. If you need a 4x4 because everytime you park your rig in the yard you get stuck when using 2 wheel drive then by all means you need a 4x4. But, if you rarely if ever get into a situtation that requires having 4x4 then get AAA for the times that arise when you do need to be pulled out. And, seeing AAA will not come out to pull out a stuck ATV, I had to get 4 wheel drive on it. :-)

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Jeff, red Georgia clay…ahhhh, there is nothing like it, especially in the summer during a drought!

Something I just thought of…this debate seems to come up often on rv.net, and one of the “arguments” for four wheel drive is that a truck with it commands a better price when a owner goes to sell it on the secondary market. I do not know if this is true and I would not purchase a truck for this reason alone, but it is interesting.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oh, yes, 4x4's bring a premium price in snow country.

One thing I forgot to mention is we spend Nov/Dec near the kids and grandkids. That means snow and ice. The 4x4 is worthwhile for us for that reason alone since as fulltimers it is our only vehicle.

I'm with those who say if you have a need or a desire for a 4x4 then go for it. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason why a 4x2 can't do a perfectly good job for you. I fully agree this is a personal choice. 4x4 is not required to safely tow a fifthwheel. My opinion again, for whatever value there is.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote