Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Cool CG water pressure vs. water pump

OK, so we have a problem with water pressure when connected to city water. I have read all the threads regarding the issue but cannot come up with a satisfactory solution. If the water pressure is low when connected to the CG spigot but works just fine when connected to the pump why is it assumed that the problem lies with the low flow restrictor in the faucet? Please assume that the water filter, intake valves, water pressure regulator have all been eliminated as the cause. Why should the low flow restrictor affect only the water coming in from the CG spigot when the water from the pump is flowing through the same restrictors before coming out of the faucet? Now, I think that the pump is pushing that water through the system at a higher psi than my current cheapo Walmart pressure regulator does. Why is there no information in the Keystone manuals as to how high a psi the system will tolerate?
We are going to get a better pressure regulator that can be adjusted to test my theory but I would still like to know how high I can go! I know many of you use 60-65 psi but why? Do you know something I don't? Can I use 75 psi or 66 psi for that matter?

Thanks for any comments or help you can give me in this matter. I have driven my husband nuts with my theories but I think this one may actually have merit.

Susan

Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In theory, the piping can stand up to 100#, but in practice the joints may not be up to that and we live in rolling earthquakes that can lossen everything. for that reason I restrict the water pressure to enough to do a good job and no higher.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Have you removed the cheap plastic check valve on the city water inlet connection?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Are you getting good flow through your hose without have it connected to the rig to make sure you don't have an issue with your regulator? Even at 50-55 PSI you should have better flow with city water than the pump. Actually the simple brass regulators tend to work well but you could have a bad one. Would also check that all your water switches in the convenience center are set up correctly.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Water pressure and volume are different measurements. You can have a high pressure but if your supply can't maintain volume at that pressure then you have an issue. In most situations I've xperienced, volume of water, or gallons per minute, is the issue. Campgrounds vary greatly in water supply and there are many factors that affect the end result, water "pressure" at the point of use.

If you don't have a regulator that measures pressure and controls gpm, you are at a disadvantage. Hint, camping world doesn't sell any. My fix is to use the campground supply. If that is insufficient then run off the (upgraded) onboard pump.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
In theory, the piping can stand up to 100#, but in practice the joints may not be up to that and we live in rolling earthquakes that can lossen everything. for that reason I restrict the water pressure to enough to do a good job and no higher.
What would that restriction be? How high would you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Are you getting good flow through your hose without have it connected to the rig to make sure you don't have an issue with your regulator? Even at 50-55 PSI you should have better flow with city water than the pump. Actually the simple brass regulators tend to work well but you could have a bad one. Would also check that all your water switches in the convenience center are set up correctly.
As I tried to indicate, we eliminated all the variables that could have caused decreased flow via the CG water supply. And yes, even though the regulator was new, we switched it out with the same result. Not sure what you mean by all the water switches being set up correctly but we have been using the unit for over a year now and would surely have noticed if something was amiss in the convenience center. If you mean bypass switches, etc. they are as they should be.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
So you have good water pressure when on you pump but not when you are hooked up to the park water supply correct? If so then I would check the pressure on the park side we have been in parks that very low water pressure before. did you check the check valve wear you hook up the water line I have seen them get stuck or get junk in them and cause that kind of problem before.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I had a supply hose that flowed well when unhooked from the 5'er. Soon as I hooked it up terrible water pressure. End up being the inner walls of the hose was collapsing when the system was sealed/hooked up. Changed supply hose and all worked fine. Rare condition but worth a try.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
So you have good water pressure when on you pump but not when you are hooked up to the park water supply correct? If so then I would check the pressure on the park side we have been in parks that very low water pressure before. did you check the check valve wear you hook up the water line I have seen them get stuck or get junk in them and cause that kind of problem before.
Nothing wrong with the CG's water pressure. Already checked that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I had a supply hose that flowed well when unhooked from the 5'er. Soon as I hooked it up terrible water pressure. End up being the inner walls of the hose was collapsing when the system was sealed/hooked up. Changed supply hose and all worked fine. Rare condition but worth a try.
Changed hoses still no joy. Even tried a smaller diameter hose.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Did I miss where you checked the check valve at city water connection in convenience center?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
kc8lvy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19861
A couple of months ago my neighbor called me over and she had no water pressure and a couple of days later no water at all. I took the water inlet out of the unit and tore it apart and there was a backflow/water pressure regulater built in and was plugged and also had broken parts in it. A trip to camping world and $45 later she was back in business. She now has lots of water pressure again.
Now this was on a motorhome but I am sure most RV's are similar.
You may want to see if yours has a backflow valve in it or a pressure reducer built in. She bought something similar to this.
https://www.campingworld.com/pressur...try-wall-mount
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #12
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
What Kc8lvy is talking about is what I asked if you have checked yet? Thoes are a big problem.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #13
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
disconnect the water regulator and connect the hose direct to intake.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
A couple of months ago my neighbor called me over and she had no water pressure and a couple of days later no water at all. I took the water inlet out of the unit and tore it apart and there was a backflow/water pressure regulater built in and was plugged and also had broken parts in it. A trip to camping world and $45 later she was back in business. She now has lots of water pressure again.
Now this was on a motorhome but I am sure most RV's are similar.
You may want to see if yours has a backflow valve in it or a pressure reducer built in. She bought something similar to this.
https://www.campingworld.com/pressur...try-wall-mount
Sounds like we are going to have to take the unit in then because there is no way we are capable of taking the water inlet out of the unit and tearing it apart. Thanks for your help though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
What Kc8lvy is talking about is what I asked if you have checked yet? Thoes are a big problem.
We have no idea how to check and as I mentioned above, we don't have the expertise to tear the plumbing apart. I wouldn't know how to recognize a back flow valve either but we did find the pressure reducers in the faucets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
disconnect the water regulator and connect the hose direct to intake.
Don't feel this is an option as the CG has excellent water pressure and don't want to risk the plumbing.

I appreciate your help and thanks to all who offered advice.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Did I miss where you checked the check valve at city water connection in convenience center?
We cleaned out the screen at the city water inlet. Is this what you meant?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
check valve in the convenience center?

I put my question into the illustration pic below...I want to make sure I understand which valve is being discussed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-01_11-53-49.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2024  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
that is my understanding from other threads.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #18
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I put my question into the illustration pic below...I want to make sure I understand which valve is being discussed...
Ours doesn't look like either of those. Definitely not the one on the left but not quite the same as the one on the right either.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #19
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Please let us know what you find out. I'm having similar problem. Our old TT had better flow in the same campground compared to our new Montana. Also tried to find out the safe pressure range but didn't have any luck.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #20
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Please let us know what you find out. I'm having similar problem. Our old TT had better flow in the same campground compared to our new Montana. Also tried to find out the safe pressure range but didn't have any luck.
We have sent a message to Keystone asking about safe pressure levels but haven't heard anything yet. Just asked last night.

We removed the faucet connector from the convenience center and could find no sign of damage or of gunk build-up. Connected the hose to it without attaching it to the RV and the flow through it was fantastic. Connected the whole thing back to the RV and still no water pressure without using the pump. As an addendum, we have had decent pressure before with this unit so something else is going wrong somewhere and we have no idea where to look.