Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
graphics

well i just sent pictures of my graphics on my 2011 montana high coutnry, sent a email with pics and vin# and contact info to ownerrelations@keysonterv.com
will see what the outcome will be my graphics are discoloring and cracking on the front cap and l/h bedroom slideout.

okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Does anyone remember for sure when Montana changed the graphic vendor to an allegedly higher quality graphic. Was this 2011 the different graphic vendor.
Our 2006 3400 had the infamous Burlington graphics but they held up very well for five years began to peel shrink and crack in year 6 and were trash by year 7. the 3400 was outside the entire time travelled all over the country and was exposed to hot weather and sunshine the entire time. we never waxed the graphics and followed the instruction provided by Burlington.
we had a graphic vendor on the Great Lakes examine some replacement graphics Burlington sent us and said they were of the quality that would be expected to last 5 to 7 years under normal conditions.. which ours did.

We did purchase the 13 Big Sky because we did not want to deal with graphics problems again and am thinking that might have been a bad move.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
2010 was the year improved graphics went on. 3 year warranty began in 2010 also.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Rich, are you having graphics problems already?
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No mark we do not have graphics as we have the 2013 3402 Big Sky. We got the big Sky for two primary reasons. It had the G6-14 tires and the 6 point leveling system. We could have "made a deal" as others have to replace the G6 14 tires on a regular Montana and the 6 point leveling system was a option as well. The price was right for the big sky already having those features and the paint job seemed like a reasonable replacement for the troublesome graphics.

IMO only the paint on this 13 Big Sky is fragile chips easily and again IMO only at the end of 4 years will look worse than the graphics on the 06 3400 ever did.

In my opinion right now I should have purchased a regular 3402 Montana, changed tires and added the 6 point leveling system as a option , saved a few grand and been far better off.

I was just wondering what the track record has been on the "new "graphics.

All this applies only to myself as others do not seem to have the issues or concerns we have.

The Big Sky has drawn compliments at every campground we have been in and few even realize it is a Keystone/Montana product.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We went to several companies in our area that do vinyl signs and vehicle wraps. We found the cost of having them reproduce the Montana graphics in a material designed to be used on outside signs and warranted for 5 years to be less costly installed not including removal of the old one than Keystone wanted for their graphics.

The real cost of doing this is removing the old graphics. I could not get quotes for removing only a cost and material quote by the hour.

One outfit had a truck in the parking lot that had graphics that were 8 years old that looked like new. Another shop had a boat they were preparing to replace the graphics on that had better looking graphics than our Montana and the boat was 15 years old.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #7
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Rich, I also believe it was 2010, but obviously the new vendor isn't much better than the last (in some cases at least). When we bought our 2009 at the Raleigh show I talked to the Keystone rep and told him how unhappy I had been with my 2003's decals peeling. He told me my new 2009 was the last with that company's graphics (Burlington) and the 2010 would be improved. As expected, my 2009 started to peel within 2 years and the whole right side and cap look horrible. Keystone sent free replacement graphics to me last year for all of the affected areas (more areas are now peeling), but I have to do the labor myself. I did it on my 2003 and it wasn't fun.

Since I suspect the new graphics will also only last a couple of years, my plan is to wait until Monty looks completely like a FEMA trailer and then do the job. At least that way when I go to trade/resell it will look its best.

I have also considered trying a local body shop for a paint estimate. Has anyone ever gotten a quote for a repaint of the scene/lettering/stripes?
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I was one step away from getting the paint estimate. Had the old graphics off the right side, except some swishes that were still in good shape. By using 1500 grit wet sand and the proper rubbing compound I had even eliminated the shadow effect of the old mountain scenes. We had the new graphics from Montana but only put "Montana" back on the right side. But then we traded. That being said, we actually liked the looks of the right side with just some swishes and nice shiny gel coat. Now I have to try to figure out what steps to take in order to make these new decals last as long as possible on the new rig.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Seems like the 5-6 year window is the norm on graphics being presentable. I explored several options--1. Full set of graphics from Keystone--about $2000+ installation + removal of old graphics; 2. New graphics from a local print shop--they could do it but the long term results would be the same + removal; 3. Just clean up the graphics that I have and see what happens--cost $0.
I chose #3 because the clean up looks OK for now. Also this whole issue is just cosmetic--no function as far as I can tell in the use or operation of my Monty. Maybe full paint somewhere down the line or just enjoy traveling with my MONEY in MY POCKET!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The folks that looked at the graphics sent to me by Burlington for our 06 3400 did graphics primarily for boats on Lake Erie. They did not say they were cheap graphics but graphics that should have a life span of 5 to 7 years under normal conditions and normal care on a Rv . They could not put that quality graphic on a boat. In fact they said there was little market for that quality graphic in the business they did. They had a wide selection of Mountain scenes they could reproduce and the rest of the Montana graphics were not difficult to replace off the shelf so to speak. It would have been very pricy to replace the graphics with true quality graphics and IMO not worth the cost.

There are a couple pre 2010 Montana's here at this Rv park that have been under cover since day one and the graphics are perfect.

It is just my opinion only that our exposing the graphics to in many cases extreme elements and improper care contributed greatly to the early demise of some of them.

Our 06 graphics looked real good in year 5 then here in Florida in year 6 the side that was always exposed to the sun began to shrink and peel and by year 7 I could grab a edge of a graphic and peel it off the gel Coat.

IMO we got what we paid for a 5 to 7 year graphic. However it would have been nice if they told us that. I do not remember that in the marketing.

IMO we purchased a recreational vehicle then used it in a manner it was not intended to be used no matter what the marketing may try to convince us of. We take full responsibility for doing that. Keystone/Montana as well as other comparable brands told us what we were purchasing. We chose to do otherwise.

That does not mean we will let Keystone off the hook for the poor build quality or us off the hook for the purchase.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

There are 3 companies in Okeechobee Florida that do vinyl graphics.

Custom Graphics & Signs $800 for 5 year warranty material and their labor only not including removal of the old sign.

The Sign Guy wouldn’t do them.

Silver Spurs Signs $800 5 year warranty material and her labor not including removal of old sign. She is so busy doing semi tractor trailer fleets it is hard to even reach her on the phone she goes to the vehicle after making the graphics.

Both Custom and silver Spurs take a picture of the trailer and reproduce the graphic with their computer system.

I am sure there are companies like this all over the US.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

No mark we do not have graphics as we have the 2013 3402 Big Sky. We got the big Sky for two primary reasons. It had the G6-14 tires and the 6 point leveling system. We could have "made a deal" as others have to replace the G6 14 tires on a regular Montana and the 6 point leveling system was a option as well. The price was right for the big sky already having those features and the paint job seemed like a reasonable replacement for the troublesome graphics.

IMO only the paint on this 13 Big Sky is fragile chips easily and again IMO only at the end of 4 years will look worse than the graphics on the 06 3400 ever did.

In my opinion right now I should have purchased a regular 3402 Montana, changed tires and added the 6 point leveling system as a option , saved a few grand and been far better off.

I was just wondering what the track record has been on the "new "graphics.

All this applies only to myself as others do not seem to have the issues or concerns we have.

The Big Sky has drawn compliments at every campground we have been in and few even realize it is a Keystone/Montana product.
Wow, I should expect our 2014 to have the same issues then. Question, did you get any touch up paint for the BS (Big Sky)? If not, can we buy it? I also got the BS to limit the graphics issue, but wasn't expecting a lot of paint chipping. I thought I did see some graphics on the big sky, but it had a clear coat over it. I didn't look too close, but I'll have to go back to the dealer now and take another look. I thought I saw raised Big Sky lettering on the prototype 2014 that was photographed and put on another link. Humm, can't remember now. P.S. Essencitally I did the BS for the same reasons you stated. I hope I chose wisely...either way, we'll deal with whatever may come.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We noted that the front panel of the new big sky is not painted and that is where our bad chipping occurred. Others had the same experience. Remember that the paint is over the white gel coat and any chip or scratch will show through as white. Check carefully at delivery on your Big Sky.

Maple City Collision in Goshen painted my Big Sky and may still paint them. They will give you touch up paint if you are at the plant. We are told the paint can be had mixed at Sherwin Williams also. We have been through a lot of touch up paint.

The Montana Big Sky name are graphics and after 17 months are perfect.
We are looking into having the paint removed from the front panel and leave it white.

We purchased the "Rock Tamer " Mud Flap system that helped greatly but we still get chipping.
A Mobil Suites just two streets down from us here also has chip on the front panel.
You might want to find out for sure who painted your Big Sky and give them a call regarding the quality of the paint and how to prevent chips. We had a long talk with Maple City paint the two times we where at the shop and understand what we have.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
WinAnne
Established Member

M.O.C. #5029
Anyone know of someone in the Phoenix area who can replace graphics. We have a 2008 2955 that is peeling really badly
WinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote