Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
RV Anti-freeze in fresh tank ?

Lots of wind in the Texas panhandle today. Good time to catch up on reading Highways mag. The RV Doctor talk about pour or use your suction hose to load 2 gallons into the fresh tank. I never have none this in the past. All has been good so far. We to get lots of days below 25dgrees in the winter months.
Thanks,
Lestx

lestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
If you're talking about a winterized unit, I just drain the tank. The small amount of water that remains freezes but has never caused me a problem.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
Yes winterizer, Lee you do have your Monty in cold storage and you drain the fresh tank. I will kept saving the $8.00
Thanks
lestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I never put antifreeze in fresh tank. I drain the fresh tank when I winterize and put the pink stuff in the lines. If you need more on how to winterize let out a shout as there is plenty of experience on the forum.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lestx

Lots of wind in the Texas panhandle today. Good time to catch up on reading Highways mag. The RV Doctor talk about pour or use your suction hose to load 2 gallons into the fresh tank. I never have none this in the past. All has been good so far. We to get lots of days below 25dgrees in the winter months.
Thanks,
Lestx
Putting automotive antifreeze in your fresh water system is a no-no. You will have an extremely difficult time flushing it all out. In fact, it may make you very sick when you use fresh water after having had automotive antifreeze in the system even though you may think you have flushed it all out. When I winterized RVs in the past, I used a total of two gallons being pumped through the fresh water system. You don't need antifreeze in the fresh water tank once you've drained it.

Orv

I may have misread the poster's words. I interpreted RV antifreeze as the kind you put in the radiator of a car. That's a no-no. But regular antifreeze designed for fresh water systems in RVs can be put in the fresh water tank, though I wonder why one would do that.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote