Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
johnmcc

M.O.C. #8988
Replacing roof air vent

I've got to replace the referigator roof air vent on my '02 Montana (vicious, vent-eating tree limbs somewhere back down the road). Any advice, hints, suggestions??

johnmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
johnmcc

M.O.C. #8988
ok, ok, so it's refrigerator!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Any RV store should have a replacement.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I replaced the one on our previous TT. A hail storm shattered it. I merely dug the sealant from over the four screws, removed them and the old shattered vent cover. Reversed the procedure for installation. Be sure and reseal the screw heads.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I had same encounter last summer. Called Dometic and they gave me dealers names to call re. replacement. Did just what SlickWillie said. Easy fix.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Been there, done that. Must be same tree! My local RV shop has a supply of them. Ran about $11.00 and is easy to replace without having to take it to the dealer. Fortunately, that tree did no more damage than eat the refer roof vent

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
johnmcc

M.O.C. #8988
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EagleRunner

Been there, done that. Must be same tree! My local RV shop has a supply of them. Ran about $11.00 and is easy to replace without having to take it to the dealer. Fortunately, that tree did no more damage than eat the refer roof vent

Tom
Any particular technique to remove the old sealant? ..and any particular brand/ type of new sealant you'd recommend after attaching the new vent?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Think I used a small tube of silicone or marine sealant. Stays soft and pliable in case you need to dig out again. Dug old out w/my pocket knife blade.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Unless you need to replace the entire vent, including the base, all you need for sealant is the silicone sealant used in the four screw holes covering the screws securing the cover to the base. You need to dig the silicone sealant from the four holes in the top cover to gain access to the screws. That is all I needed to replace; the base was still very much intact.

If on the other hand, you need to replace the entire vent, cover and base, then a good lap sealant by Dicor would be highly recommended to seal the base to the roof. Some sporting goods stores carry this, and it's also available at most RV Parts stores. Hopefully all you need is the top cover. Otherwise, that was one bad tree. I would then be looking for further damage to the rubber roof membrane. Typically, what I have seen is a branch pokes through the cover, cracking the cover. Some people notice it right away others lose what is left on the highway later on. The base typically remains ok.

Good Luck!

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote