Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
trailbuff
Established Member

M.O.C. #7548
Powderpost beetles

We have found Powderpost beetles in the table support post and one chair in our new 2008 3400RL.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I emailed customer service and haven't received a reply yet.

trailbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This problem has occurred in the past. I suggest you call Customer Service. It seems emails go unanswered.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
trailbuff
Established Member

M.O.C. #7548
Stiles, thanks for the quick reply.
I will call customer service. There may not be anyone available until after the 1st but i'll give it a try.
John
Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
trailbuff
Established Member

M.O.C. #7548
Powderpost beetle problem-

I talked to c/s on 01/03 or there abouts. They said I should go to one of the Keystone dealers in South West Florida. Two are within 20 miles of where we are located.
I went to the 1st and explained the problem. They said they would look into ordering a new table and one chair.
I waited for about 3 weeks and did not hear back from the dealer. I stopped in and asked for a status. They told me that they had talked it over and decided they would not make any money so they where not going to do anything!!! So much for this dealer.
I contacted another Keystone dealer that is within 2 miles of the 1st.
I explained the problem to them. They took all my information and requested that I send them some pictures.
I emailed several pics of the table and chair. They said that they will order the table and another chair.
This dealer called me back in about two days and confirmed that we have a powerpost beetle problem and that since I talked to them, they have had a couple of other owners with the same problem. The dealer has ordered the table and 4 new chairs. I should have them in 5 to 10 workings days.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Great news! Too bad the first dealer couldn't have been as professional as the second.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
John I have Not cked close how did you find the beetles. I have an 2006 an have wondered about them. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
What do they look like?
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #8
trailbuff
Established Member

M.O.C. #7548
Powderpost beetle problem-
We kept finding sawdust at the bottom of the table. We would clean it up and the next day there would be more. At 1st we thought it was just from table movement. Then I recalled reading about powderpost beetles in Trailer Life mag.
After cleaning up several times, I placed the table on its side and found several small (about the diam. of a toothpick) holes.
I left the table on it's side and sprayed some very toxic yard poison in the holes. The next day one of the beetles was about half way out of one of the holes and it was dead. I found 3 beetles this way.
I also had them in one of the chairs.
If you Google Powderpost beetles you will find lots of links about them with pictures. They are very much like termites.
John (trailbuff)
Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Just out of curiosity, who was the first dealer you contacted? I don't want to get involved with them if the need arises. They are worried about not making money on a table and chairs how much do they stand to lose with poor customer service?

Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Tiffensdad, that was the same thing Bernie and I said when we heard about that first dealer. I'm no longer in the south, but have many friends and all of our family there. I don't want them to experience the first dealer.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
trailbuff
Established Member

M.O.C. #7548
PowderPost beetle problems-
After talking to my sister and brother inlaw about the 1st dealer they said they had friends that had problems with them also. I don't want to name them because I don't want to get sued but the GOOD DEALER is North Trails RV in North Fort Myers, Florida.
John