Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
News from Keystone

Hello MOC Members,

I just spoke to Aram this afternoon to ask a question I had regarding some of the posts that have been on the forum as of late.

Here is the big question:

A member on the forum was told that their problems with their Montana was their fault because they took it to Alaska and that you can't take a rear kitchen to Alaska. They were told this by their dealer. That is not true is it?

Aram's response:

Quote:
quote: (Laughter) Of course not, that's silly! We deliver Montanas to Alaska. You tell the members that we have many customers that take their Montanas to Alaska. Tell them that Aram says to take them, have fun and enjoy them! Just don't go over 80 MPH. No, seriously pull them carefully over the shale roads, drive them sensibly keeping in mind the road conditions and have a good time!
So MOC-ers you CAN take your Montana to Alaska! If the member who was told that preposterous statement would please check in here or PM me, I would appreciate it.

Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That question was on MY list of questions for Aram..(it is a very short list) Thanks..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

That question was on MY list of questions for Aram..(it is a very short list) Thanks..
Now your list is even shorter!
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977

FIRSTLY, THE DEALER DID NOT MAKE THAT STATEMENT!!

IT WAS TEAM MONTANA!!!
In response to the person WHO was told that " preposterius statement" I AM THAT PERSON and if you had read my posts you may understand my concerns. I have been told by FOUR DIFFERENT MEMBERS OF TEAM MONTANA ON FOUR DIFFERENT OCCASIONS that I should not be taking a 3000 rear kitchen montana to Alaska and as long as I did not take it back to Alaska they would fix anything that broke under the warranty peroid. I can give dates, times and CSR who I talked to, and what their solutions were to my problems(like nothing). So far they have fixed all the things(well almost) and I am taking it to Eugene so the dealer CAN LOOK AT IT, finally.

I do not know what position this Aram has, but Montana has my phone#, cell# and email address as well as the letter I wrote to Keystone and have not received a reply back as yet, after two weeks!!
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
blarkman Aram is the head of the Montana division and I can guarantee you that he will get a copy of your E mail before this rally is over..perhaps tonite.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Just like everything else, get it in writing, got to CYA.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Aram told all of us at the rally last night that they will definitely stand behind their warranty even if it has been to Alaska.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
blarkman Aram is the head of the Montana division and I can guarantee you that he will get a copy of your E mail before this rally is over..perhaps tonite." Up date... Aram is the "product manager" of Montana...the top rung..The horses mouth, I did give him the copy of your E mail last night at our Meet and greet at the fall rally. The stated warranty is good in every State, every Provence, everywhere.So said "the horses mouth" to a room full of Montana division owners.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Blarkman,

We hear your angst, and hope that you will be able to work out your difficulties. You have the attention of the forum, and the word has been passed on to one of the main employees of Montana Keystone.

As you can see from Rich's posts, you are cleared to travel to Alaska and back.

Take great photos, and share with those of us who are unable to make that trip!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I also own a 3000RK and while at the Rally had an opportunity to speak with Craig in customer service on a "rumor" about travel to Alaska. I didn't mention Bob (Blarkman) by name. According to Craig, there is no limitation and the only time there has ever been an issue was recently. He relayed that a customer was seeking repairs to his unit from excessive vibration and comlained that he was not able to maintain 75 MPH along the Al-Can because of the excessive bucking and chucking.

Now I have never travelled the Al-Can but according to Craig most people can not drive cars along there at that speed let alone pull a Monty. Craig said they were fixing the damage but said the owner was informed if he returned to Alaska and insisted on driving at 75 MPH future damage would not be covered.

Bob (Blarkman) is this your unit he is talking about and if so how accurate is his version? I know the tires are only rated for 65 MPH, regardless of the quality of the road.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:37 AM   #11
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Well I do not know of anyone who could drive at 75mph on those roads. Our goal on the trip was to drive 300 miles a day, leaving reasonably in morning like around 7-8 am and looking for animals and scenery. You can only drive as fast as posted speed, and sometimes that was only 35mph. In June the road was in good shape I thought. We drove from Portland Oregon to Beaver Creek,YT in 9 days around 281 miles a day average. I never mentioned excessive virbration just that everything at rear of coach ended up broken and on floor, like all the dishes above or below sink, all the food in rear cupboards, cracked the counter at sink and the fride was ruined. I complained of harsh ride and unit wallowing down the road. The Mor\ryde manual says if ride to harsh change blocks. TM said it was due to my taking this unit to Canada or Alaska and I should expect to eat of paper or disposable plastic dishes with a rear kitchen and that I should not be driving no faster then 45mph!!! I still have not received any suggested fixes from TM, or what they will do to correct problem. The rig is down at dealer in Eugene, still wallows down road and last I heard was they were going to weigh unit. I find it interesting that Craig now says that I was told I could not drive at 75mph if I went back to Alaska.
bob
Old 09-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Key clarification....as I tried to make clear, Craig was too professional to mention anyone by name. I was asking if you think the situation he was talking about was yours. I have nothing to indicate that other than the unit involved was a 3000RK that traveled to Alaska and suffered some damage. You are the only one I could think of that met those criteria but he could have been talking about someone else completely......

BIll
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Well I did call craig about the 75mph and he said, he had only said I was only going half that speed!! So according toTM was I going 75 or was it 37.5 mpm??
Iamsending u a PM
bob
Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Having lived in Alaska for the last 14 years, I can honestly say that I was glad I did not have a rear kitchen to drive down the AlCan. The problem, as I saw it, was the frost heaves. The hiway depts do a good job of marking them with small red flags, however, as you are trying to enjoy the scenery you seem to come upon these flags at the last minute. I can't imagine, in my wildest dreams, of anyone trying to drive this road doing 75. It is virtually an impossibility. I have the 3400RL and hit some of these heaves going 55-60 and went airb orn several times. At one point we stopped and, what a mess, many items had come out of the cabinets and Cathy was thinking "What have we got ourselves into".

My advice is to do the trip, but plan on extra time to. do so AND pay attention to those little flags along the road.

Summer road work on the hiway is a given. When else do they have the time and weather to work on the road. One stretch of road about 50 miles long took us over 4 hours to traverse.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY THE TRIP.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #15
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Hello?......Hello?......Can anyone hear me?........Is this thing working?.............

I have nothing but good things to say about Craig. He went out of his way to assist my wife and I on more than one occasion. I regret anything I have said on this forum that was then used to grill him on this situation. For the third and hopefully final time I do not KNOW if the situation/circumstances relayed to me were indeed referring to Blarkman's situation.

Much like the bottom line on threads discussing weights let's get out of the weeks and look at the big picture.

On the weights - bottom line roughly worked out to be: Hard to pull a Monty with a 2500 and stay under the GVWR. Many people DO pull a Monty with a 2500 and have no problems. You have to decide for yourself if you are comfortable or not.

On the question of "Can you take your Montana, even if it is a RK model, to Alaska without it voiding your warranty?" the bottom line appears to be "Yes, despite what may have been misunderstood or mispoken previously, there is more than enough info and affirmation here that I would not hesitate to take my 3000Rk to Alaska should the opportunity present itself.

Does anyone doubt that it the answer to the question that was raised?

Everything else is noise and arguing over petty details. From my point of view the answer is clear and I don't see how it could be made any clearer. I am satsified with the answer. Keystone will stand behind their product. Will they require me to use it responsibly? Yes. I need to only drive as fast as the road conditions allow but that is no different from expecting me to keep air in the tires, the axles lubed, brakes operationsl, Stop if something breaks instead of driving on down the road exacerbating the damage, etc. End of Story (IMHO)

Bill
Old 09-29-2007, 06:06 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ok then, that settles it!

North to Alaska.........next summer.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote