Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
WiFi External Antenna

Has anyone installed an external antenna to pick up WiFi signals better. If so, where does one purchase such an item and how is it installed. This idea was suggested by a campground owner where we stayed a few nights ago.

Les

Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Haven't installed one but here is a place to start looking for info....

RadioLabs Wave RV WiFi Antenna
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have seen them at Best Buy..Don't know how well they work..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Les ... are you talking about a wi-fi antenna outside the Montana or an external antenna that plugs into the computer? If you're talking the latter, I use a Linksys external antenna when my wireless card doesn't pick up the signal well enough and it works really well. I think Steve got it for me at Best Buy.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Check Flying J. They sell a laptop card with an external antenna jack and the antenna to go with it. The antenna looks much the same as a mag-mount cell phone external antenna.
I have not used their card, but I did find that I got better results when I used an external Wi-Fi USB adapter that included a small antenna, than I did with the card in my laptop computer. I think it is probably worth while.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
You will probably need a new card with an external jack and a good antenna, definately not one off ebay. Try http://www.fab-corp.com/
They have one that does not need to be mounted on a metal surface, it has a magnetic base and it's own ground plane so can be mounted any where. It's only 5" tall and works very well. It is recommended by a number of pro wifi folks as the mobile omni antenna of choice. You will also need an adapter from the card to the antenna. I have one I use with a Dell TrueMobile 1150 card and a Senao 2511 Plus, each with it's own adapter cable [the cards have different connecters]. Its sitting by the window on top of the printer. If you go this route it's recommended you leave the adapter cable plugged into the card all the time, the connecters are very small and don't hold up to a lot of use, they are meant to stay pluged in. There are some other options available also but I have no experience with them. I went with the advice of the pros after a lot of research and thought.
[Standard interest disclaimer]

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:19 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you are thinking of an external antenna, you can get a 'range extender' at CompUSA and maybe Best Buy. It is intended for inside use but I saw one used outside once. It was being used by an rv park to extend the signal of their primary antenna. They had it mounted inside a 4-inch pvc pipe with caps on both ends. The bottom had a hole to allow the 110v cord to exit the pipe. That had to be plugged into a 110v receptacle. The pvc pipe insulated it from the elements. It worked well. However, if you want to have your own to help your reception, you'd have to mount it to the ladder or somehow get it above the rig. If the signal is too weak to reach even that point, then it's not likely to help much, if at all. It might help in marginal areas. I've thought about doing this but find it easier to just ask the park for a site that gets good wifi reception.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:12 AM   #8
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Steve,

Most range extenders are brand specific. They will only work with the same brand wireless access point. In fact, the Linksys range extender will only work with specific models of Linksys access points.

Your best bet to improve range is an external antenna. There are a few external directional antennas that have gotten decent reviews. Being directional, they amplify the signal even more, but you will need to point the antenna at the access point.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Fred. I did not know that. I'm glad now I didn't purchase one.

Any recommendations on external antennas or links to the reviews? Don't go searching, I can do that. Just thought you might have something off the top of your head.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
Try www.binarywolf.com maybe you can find something there
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
I was planning on installing an external antenna outside my first TT, now I have a Montana and haven't had the time to do it but I will this spring. I have the whole thing planned just need the weather since I will have to "seal" the area.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote