Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
Montana_2008
Established Member

M.O.C. #2008
Slide awings

Is there any way to tighten up or make the slide awings from flapping in the wind. If anyone has an answer please let me know. I am a full timer in a 3400rl and a Ford 04 Deisel; with stainless exhaust and airaid, air springs. Please get back to me MtMan1313@aol.com

Montana_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I have had my 2955RL for 3 years now. I had slide awnings installed when I bought the unit. In that time, I have not had a problem with the awnings flapping. However, I was told that the rewind spring could be adjusted (tightened) so that more tension was placed on the awnings. I haven't had to do this but it is a possibility for you.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The slide awnings can be tightened, same as the patio awning. The barrel part that holds the material is spring loaded. You don't want it so tight it stresses the material but it is adjustable. I've not done it and am chicken about doing that by myself. I've heard it is a two-person job and if you are not careful and let that spring loose it can do bad things to your body. I think the procedure is described in the manual for the awnings. If you don't have a manual for the slide awnings, check the one for the patio awning. The procedure is the same.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Take care doing this. We had a neighbor at a campsite whose Dad lost a finger doing this.
Happy trails..............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I would leave this one for a professional to do. Maybe a trip to the dealer and ask them to tighten. Everyone is right, one slip and things can go bad in a big hurry. I have seen what happens when one of these springs comes loose and tore into a guys forarm. Not pretty.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote