Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
kencol

M.O.C. #11957
New 2011 3150RL Sensor and Remote Problems

I have a new 2011 Montana 3150RL fifth wheel, and I have been having a couple of problems since day one. Dealer hasn't been any help because the tech says he cannot duplicate the problems. That could be because they never pay much attention to my description of the problems.

I have had this problem with the black tank since the first time I dumped it. It seems to drain slower than what I have experienced with all the other rv's I have owned in the past, in that the discharge does not have much force and the flow fills only about 1/2 of the transparent elbow going into the dump station drain.

After dumping, the monitor will show either 1/3, 2/3, or Full. It varies, but never shows empty. If it reads 2/3 full and I hold the button in for a few seconds, the 2/3 light will gradually fade out and it will stay on 1/3.

After using the tank rinse-out until the water runs clear, it still will not go to empty. However, if I fill the tank with water using the rinse-out and dump again, it drains much faster than before. It gushes out with a lot of force and fills the transparent elbow completely. The monitor will then read empty, but will go back to 1/2 or 2/3 full again after just a few toilet flushes.

I can't see or get anything inside the tank to measure if any thing is in it because there is a kind of shelf at the bottom of the pipe that hides the tank.

Before risking an expensive repair bill (Keystone says they will not cover it unless a problem is found with the tank or monitor system), I would like to know if any other Montana owners have run into similar problems.

I do know that black tank monitors are norotious for erroneous readings, but mine was malfunctioning brand new before the tanks had a chance to scum up (ulness just one tankfull of waste will do that).

It could be that my monitor readings are calibrated too low, so that when the tank reads 3/4 full and I dump it really is not that full. Might be why there isn't a good flow.

Can these lights be calibrated? If so, anybody know how?

Second problem is the remote for the jacks, slides, etc. works very intermittently and often not at all. Keystone sent me instructions on how to program the remote, but my remote is different than the one they sent instructions for. The instructions are for a remote with a stubby antenna, and can be programmed. Mine does not have an antenna and cannot be programmed. Nothing inside but a battery (which I changed). Called Keystone, and they said mine is a newer model that replaces the one they sent instructions for. There are no instructions for the new one becauses it can't be programmed. However, the remote manufacturer's (LCI) website does not show any remote like the one I have, just the one with the antenna that Keystone sent the instructions for. I'm confused.

What kind of a remote do others have and how do they work?

kencol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Can't help you at all on the remote, mine has the antenna. On the black tank, however, we had the same problem and took it into Keystone customer service when we were at the rally. They thought it might be toilet paper hung up on the sensor or "something else"? We had some other problems we thought were minor that turned out to be major so I never asked them what they did to fix the black tank sensor problem, but since then it's worked ok.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
For the black tank - forget the gauges. They seldom work after the first ever flush of the toilet. As others have written, the toilet will "burp" when it is close to being full. Dump the black tank then. Dumping when the black tank is less than full is a recipe for the dreaded pyramid of poop.

The gauges can not be adjusted. They are poked through the side of the tank at (supposedly) the empty, 1/3, 2/3 and full positions. They sense when the liquid is at their level and light the appropriate bulb on the display. They are easily confused by the black tank contents and often read incorrectly. Some folks swear by one or more of the various holistic concoctions which are intended to keep the sensors clean and functional. I haven't had any success with them and just use the "burp" method.

You have the newer 12 button remote. I don't remember reading that it can be re-programmed. About the best you can do is force a re-boot of the control unit (brain of the system). There is a "timeout" function built into the remote which may account for the intermittent operation problem?

The more common complaint about the remote is the "lock out" of the external switches due to the safety relay (for lack of a better term) not releasing.

A "Search" of past posts will expose many previous discussions on both of these topics.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The problem with the waste tank indicator probes is Keystone installs them wrong.

Keystone also refused to repair mine when the unit was new.

I obtained the installation instructions from the manufacturer of the unit. I was able to get Camping World in Alabama to correct the installation problems on the waste tanks that are accessible by installing new probes in the proper locations. My #2 gray and the Fresh water tank indicator have worked correctly since. The black and #1 gray tanks ere installed in a way that would require removing the tanks or the use of a right angle drilling tool to put new probes in the proper locations.

It has become apparent by the post on this forum that the only way to get Keystone to correct these problems is to take the unit to the factory repair center.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Kencol,
As Carl and Susan said..... Forget about the gauges! They simply don't work. Doesn't matter how they are installed. The limiting factor is that there is "stuff" in the black tank that will prevent the type of gauges they install from working correctly. The only gauge we have that works... well actually two.... are the FRESH WATER and BATTERY. The Battery is simply reporting elec. charge and the FRESH WATER has nothing in it to prevent the gauge from working. IF you REALLY must have working gauges then you should get the type that work from OUTSIDE the tank. But they are very expensive.

Do like most of us do and simply go by the "days of use" or the sound of the toilet. We've found the sound thing to work best for us. We quit worrying about the gauges years ago.

We do not have the remote stuff so cannot help you there. Good luck and let us know how things go. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
We have the same model as you, but our shower tank acts just like your black tank. Our black tank gauge works fine, well, fine as we know of for these gauges.

And our remote, 12 button with antenna, works fine, most of the time, then it starts going intermittent. We replaced the battery which helped some, but still acts up. Lots of times I just open the door and use the outside controls.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I have a 2011 also and have also had black tank level gauges since the first trip. As mentioned above, I just go by how long it's been and listen for sounds indicating it's nearing being full. I have the remote with the small antenna and even with that, I have to constantly move it around a bit to get it to work continously. I also seem to have to hit the two button start sequence a lot to initiate any control action. Especially if I'm at the back operating the rear stabilizers. When it gets real bad I replace the battery and it does help some.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We too have the 2011 3150RL model. Our tank sensors work just like yours do, but we are used to it as our previous 5th wheel was the same. We just know by days when we need to empty the tanks. We also noticed that the tanks take longer to drain then our previous 5th wheel as well. The tank has to be full enough for the pressure to build and drain it seems.

As for the remote, we have the same remote that you have (no antenna) but we have not had any issues with it. Ours has instructions on the back of the unit. I have to admit that I do not use it much as I would never put the slides out without being inside to make sure there are no obstructions and the landing gear, I always seem to use the outside controls. I did find that if you turn lights on with the remote, you can only turn them off with the remote and the light under the stairs will only work if turned on with the remote.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The two gages that we have that work are the ones I had Camping World install the probes in the tank correctly. I have been full timing in this trailer for 1-½ years since they did the job the Galley gray tank and the fresh water tank are still working correctly. When I find a right angle drill that will go between the shower gray and black tank I will install the probes correctly. It only takes two probes each tank to fix the problem.

Phil P
Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
As long as I keep our holding tanks clean, the sensor readings seem to work ok...keeping the tanks clean is the real challenge.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

CarmillaMichael you are quite correct.

They are not direct reading like a float gage. They always require some time after you have drained the tank to indicate the correct reading. Also you will need to occasionally clean the waste tanks with something that will remove the soap film from the probes. So far I haven’t had to do that and I am not sure what to use when it is time.

As for toilet paper getting stuck to them if you have ever looked at one the probes it is obvious that the odds of toilet paper getting stuck between two of the probes is greater that winning the power ball. LOL

Phil P