Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #21
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
The Mor-Ryde suspension system will not and cannot do the same work as a shock that is directly over the axle in a vertical position with a max of 35 degrees of offset. The Mor-Ryde system works on torrosion or a resistance to allow one spring assembly up and the other end goes down. Simply stated; if the front axle goes over a bump there is a resistance from the rubber torrsion to hold that spring down by placing torrsion on the rear part of the spring, but will allow some movement. When this happens the rear axle front section of the spring is pushed down with resistance from the rubber torrsion ( The rear and upward movement of the spring on the front axle counteracts with the front part of the spring on the rear axle movement). This system dampens the holes and small bumps on a road etc. but does not control the large bumps, railway tracks from the large bounce and this is where shocks come into play and directly act on that axle to control repetitive and a ripple effect of bounce. Both Dexter and Monroe will attest to this. Anyone that is in the suspension business on design will verify the above when working with any high speed mobile equipment.

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #22
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I installed Monroe shock kits on my 31RLD TT. I think a TT tends to magnify lousy roads more than a 5th wheel and there was a definite improvement in the ride and comfort.

I put the Monroe plates below the axle, used 1/2" bolts to secure it to the original plates above the spring, inserted shims between the bolts and axle tube so there was no fore and aft play between the bolts and the axle tube and tightened the bolts until there was a slight bend in the lower Monroe plate. All this was done to ensure that the lower plates would not shift position. The shocks were mounted on the inside of the frame as the LR slideout prevented outside of the frame mounting.

I cut access openings in the belly pan and used roofing rubber and Eternabond tape to seal the opening.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #23
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We're finding that inflating the tires properly (not maximally) has provided excellent results, much like shocks should provide. And, the tires are running cool as cucumbers. See you tomorrow in Goshen.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #24
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
The deciding factor for putting shocks on our RV was when we were coming back from the RV doctor(six weeks) in Pendleton OR was when we were going through Salem on I-5 and going over an overpass. I looked in the mirror and watched the back end of the rv bounce up and down excessively. "Shocks" was my immediate thought and am happy I did it. it does not bounce as much,jerk or hard on us. It was a hard six ride home, like 6 hours. It is now a pleasure to drive and no more messes
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote