Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
3400 Desk

Iam try to make room for our two large labs and their soft kennels.
Has anyone tried to remove the desk in the 3400rl,ours is a 2008.
Any suggestion or photo's would be appreciated.
Thanks,Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Jack,

No, do not have that model, but have seen people use the front closet for kennels. Not sure large enough for your big kids, but thought I would throw out the idea anyway.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Jack,

No, do not have that model, but have seen people use the front closet for kennels. Not sure large enough for your big kids, but thought I would throw out the idea anyway.
Thanks for the idea Carol,but the kennels are 26x26x40 too big for the closet and I want to keep them up all the time,it's their comfort zone. Iam leaving one rocker at home and placing one kennel in that area and one in the desk area.
Jack
Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jack, Have you thought of giving up the sofa, and just using two recliners for you and the wife. That would be my plan if n I had 2 large dogs. We have given up one recliner (it broke) and are considering giving up the couch and getting another recliner. We had a golden retriever earlier and we were always stepping over him....I feel your pain.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jack, we have identical problems and dogs. If we were gonna make that kind of room for the pups we would dump the couch. It appears that the desk is required structurally as part of the support for the entertainment cabinet, maybe not but why go to all that trouble when you can store the couch and when you go to trade in the rig on your next one you won't have to rebuild the desk. As you can see we have the same basic floor plan... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dave and Phil the problem is,we have grandkids that maybe going with us at times so the couch has to stay.
Today I pulled out the back panel under the desk and discovered wiring plus the sub-woofer for the sound system. I found out why the bass was weak,they had the sub-woofer upside down with the woofer pointing upward I flipped it back over defecting it toward the floor,now I have alot of bass.
Iam going to leave the desk top alone and just remove the drawers and framing,I'll place a support board just after I place the kennel in and than place a couple of shelves on the other side. I'll put the sub-woofer on one of the shelves. At least that's my thought.
Jack
Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Jack, we removed the "desk" in our 2004 model 3380. It was actually a shelf. There was some scarring on the wall which was covered by our replacement unit, a hobby chest. I would suspect that your desk is attached to the wall, if at all, just along one line which you could cover with some molding or something similar. That said, I have no idea what I'm talking about since I haven't been in a 3400 for over a year. I think it could be done. JMHO
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ahhhh - so that's what is behind the panel on the new desks. I saw a 2008 at the show last week and couldn't figure out why the area under the desk was so shallow. Our 2007 has the woofer in the upper cabinet above the TV.

As far as removal, you'll need to be handy with the finish work. The desk also serves as the interior finish and trim which would need to be replaced if you removed it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Well,I did it. Today I went ahead and slowly took out the drawer section of the desk,it came out fairly easy.Keystone didn't use any glue, just screws and staples.I left the desk top alone and it's still solid as a rock,I just need to create a panel for the back.
Jack

Old 01-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Looks good.
I hope the pooches can look around the corner at each other. From your signature picture they seem to be cozy together.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks Wayne! The dogs are litter mates,they've never been apart.
Jack