Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
fuel gauge problem

I lost the charge in both batteries. I charged them back up and started the truck the low fuel warning light came on with 35 gal. of fuel in the tank. I drove around a little and it came up to 1/3. Has anyone have this happen. 03 F250 38 gal tank. Thanks Jack

ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I had a tech explain to me that this is NOT a direct reading guage. Instead, it averages the fuel level over a period of time. How much time...I don't know. I do know that with my previous F-350 and current 3500 when I switch from Aux tank to Main tank that the needle takes several minutes to come up to the new fuel level.

It is logical that the system has a memory that can be lost if battery power is removed for a period of time. That being said, when you regain battery power, the system has to start from a 0 memory level (fuel warning light) then gradually average out with the current (35 gallons) fuel level.

Clear as mud...right
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You might have to go in and have your computer reprogrammed. Losing power should not have caused this but I have heard of the computer losing its mind before. The fuel tank information is kept by this computer.

Do you know why your batteries discharged like that? Maybe you have an electrical truck problem and this drained the battery. When my batteries died and putting them back in, nothing else was affected nor should have been.

My charger also requires me to disconnect the terminals to recharge a battery. I just remove the battery from the vehicle or for my trailer I have a disconnect switch, then connect the charger. Does you operate this way? Maybe with some chargers, leaving the battery connected to the vehicle might cause problems. Just another thing to look into. Note, I have a pretty old and simple charger. Works great but it ain't too smart. I have to be the smart one and we all know that's a risk.

I had a minor fuel gauge problem in another vehicle and had it repaired under warranty. They claimed they replaced a "computer". This car was a Mercedes Benz. Everything is computerized, even the gas pedal. Downright scary. Another time, my pedal started acting funny, too. Again, warranty work and the claim was another computer part that sensed how much pressure was on the pedal. German overengineering at its finest.

Please let us know what you find out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Thanks I left two things on for several days that drained the batteries. I'v been driving it everyday and it has started to come back up to full maybe in a day or two it will read correctly. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote