Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Anything better than Tiki Torches?

We are just finishing our stay at Live Oak Landing in Freeport Fl. I have used Tiki Torches for years. They did not control the deer flies (and neither would back woods off with feet). And while I knew the soot helped stop flies, I saw all the soot on me when I packed up and can only imagine what has gotten into our lungs.
Any better ideas or gadgets that you have used to control insects that won't kill us too? Insects I can take, but wife won't tolerate them.

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I don't know of anything that will keep them away. A good fly swatter and just kill them. They are a pain literally. We get them in the spring and the fall so they should be about ready to go pretty soon.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Thermacel does a good job. Being a hunter here in NC, it is a must before weather chills. There is one at WalMart that looks like a lantern. I'm very satisfied.IMHO
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
When we're outside under our awning, we've taken to putting a 20" portable home fan on a table and having it blow across us. Not only does it help with the heat, the bugs don't like the wind velocity.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I used the same thing in northern NY (bug heaven).
Worked great and NO chemicals.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainer

When we're outside under our awning, we've taken to putting a 20" portable home fan on a table and having it blow across us. Not only does it help with the heat, the bugs don't like the wind velocity.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
We have been using fans for a couple of years, and it helps a lot. I am more concerned with the amount of soot off of the torches, and if it is on the awning and patio shade, what is in our lungs. In packing up today, I took down the 12 foot sunroom and bug room, rolled up the outdoor carpet, and I was black all over from the soot. Took down the patio shade, and it was black with soot. I just don't want to breathe this.
Another camper here looked like he had a plug in "insect sprayer" like the county would use to spray a large area for insects. But I would find to be worried about what chemicals it was using.
As I said, I can suffer the sand fleas, no see sums, and deer flies for a while. Lord knows the 8th Marines didn't worry about it. But it is killing the wife, and as you know, if she ain't happy.....
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
This sounds crazy but it does work! Get a spray bottle an fill it with Listerine or the cheap imitation from Wally World. Walk around the area and spray the air with the Listerine or whatever. I don't know what is in it but it does keep the mosquitos away! Give it a try!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

This sounds crazy but it does work! Get a spray bottle an fill it with Listerine or the cheap imitation from Wally World. Walk around the area and spray the air with the Listerine or whatever. I don't know what is in it but it does keep the mosquitos away! Give it a try!!
It does sound crazy but, by damn, I'm gonna try it!
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I found that 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar and a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle seems to work well, fans help too
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
BillR48
Established Member

M.O.C. #11151
Justed received a face book message from friends at RV park we stay at in Tampa about a new product they have been using to keep no-see-ums away. They say it works great. All natural.
http://nonoseeum.com/
BillR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Or fill it with Jim Beam and pretty soon you won't care if there are any bugs or not!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

Or fill it with Jim Beam and pretty soon you won't care if there are any bugs or not!
Tom, I like the way you think.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
That is why they don't bother me like they do the wife. I am usually numb!