Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #41
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Congrats on the new truck. I was a fairly loyal Ford guy till it came time to buy the diesel. Then I went with the tried and true Cummins in the Ram.

I will make one more point for the 4x4 though and that is trade in value. Doesn't mean much if you run your truck for 15years but if you trade often like we do then it does matter a lot. The most popular models always bring much better resale/trade. Its just a fact of life. And again if you trade often then there isn't any discussion about higher maintenance costs. I really don't think the newer 4x4 duallies are any taller than an 2x SRW. But crawling into the bed of just about any modern truck is a real challenge!!
That is one of the reasons we love the ford tailgate step, even my wife will use it, very easy! I am not really brand loyal, they all have their good & bad points.

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #42
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Congrats on the new truck! Almost any new one is more than capable today,& now you can get the big C sticker for the back window & be part of the Ceamen club,lol. My buddy has the same truck & I kid him about all the time.Very nice truck, good luck!
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #43
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
That is one of the reasons we love the ford tailgate step, even my wife will use it, very easy! I am not really brand loyal, they all have their good & bad points.

I have the tailgate step. I thought I was never use it but I ordered it anyway and use it all the time. I call it the old guy step.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #44
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
DEF education

Just purchased a 2019 RAM 2500 diesel.... replace the 2005 RAM

I am new to DEF....
how big is my DEF tank?
How often do I refill the tank?
I bulk from gas station pumps or the 2 1/2 bottles from auto supply stores?
The auto store label brand or the national label brands ??

THANKS
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #45
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in Texas View Post
Just purchased a 2019 RAM 2500 diesel.... replace the 2005 RAM

I am new to DEF....
how big is my DEF tank?
How often do I refill the tank?
I bulk from gas station pumps or the 2 1/2 bottles from auto supply stores?
The auto store label brand or the national label brands ??

THANKS
I’ll let the more experienced answer this but..
Watch the expiration date on the 2 1/2 gal containers. My understanding is there’s a one year shelf life.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #46
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I think the tank hold 5 gallons. There is a guage on the dash. From 1/2 def tank it takes one 2.5 containers ti bring it to fill. Running empty you can go maybe 5000 miles. Towing, the tank may go 2000 miles. I use the walmart blue .. I dont think ill be shopping much at Walmart however..some truck stops have def at the diesel pumps.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #47
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
DEF

I bought two jugs of the Walmart brand DEF couple days ago $7.88 per jug. I could not find any manufacturer stamps anywhere on the containers. How do they stamp those? I have used their brand 90% of the time for the past 3 years with no issues except when the shelves are empty which happens quite often, then I will buy the high dollar stuff if have no choice and need it real bad based on the truck message.

I will say that there seemed to be several months where the walmart screw on spout was worthless un-usable (I use a funnel anyway) but lately the screw on spouts have improved greatly and work well with no drips.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #48
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Joe, my experience is similar to DFB. I also use the blue container from Walmart. If you get it at the pump, it’s usually around $2.96 a gallon. It used to be cheaper to get DEF at the pump than in the container until the blue jugs at Walmart. Also, during the winter in very cold temps, the Ram dealer in Rock Springs, Wyoming advised using containers instead of the DEF pump because of water content. Our DEF system froze up towing across Wyoming in -13 temp. A software update fixed the issue.

Dick, looking forward to seeing the new truck at Rally. Hope you are enjoying those new running boards.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #49
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
BadMoon, do you know if they changed the bed and side rails? I am curious because after I bought a new Pullrite 2600 for my ‘19 Ram, the first few pages refer to GM’s bed and the need to reinforce it because of the location of their puck system. Ford and Ram are okay without reinforcement. I ordered a kayak rack from US Rack, and they also have special instructions for GM trucks. Just curious if the GM changes are improvements for these issues. I am not slamming GM trucks, had two and both were great. Just curious.
The bed is completely new, actually side rails are 1" lower than previous, 3"+ longer. the puck locations are moved closer to the goose ball mount.
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #50
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
we bought a 4x4 because we read the 4x4 could tow a heavier load. In 3 yrs, we've only had to use the 4 wheel drive once and that was to insure we could climb a steep wet paved road. We have standard running boards, I need to look into these electric ones for hubby.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote