Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Help! removing the Jackknife?

Someone is interested in buying my Jackknife sofa (finally) and coming by this morning to take a look. I just realized I have no idea of where to start on removing it. I know some have done this. I am wondering if I have to take it apart to get it out the door.

Where are the screws that hold it in place located?

Thanks much!

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
The back came off my Sofa bed by just pulling upward on the back.
A jacknife Sofa though is different as I believe the back swings over to make the bed ??
Wish I could help.
New LazyBoy coming today...
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:15 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
BJ, I believe it is screwed to the floor, congrats on the sale.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thank you.

You are correct. Four screws later and it's free. I did notice there are four bolts that hold the top (back of the sofa) to the bottom. Good to know if they decide to buy we can take it out in two pieces.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
[b} Fla Native - noticed you got a Lazy Boy sofa. Are you getting a special model for an RV or just one that suited your fancy? We have a couple of their sofas in our stick hope and love them. Just wondering. [/b]
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:20 AM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Native Tex,

No I don't have a lazy boy sofa. The sofa I am selling is the Flex Steel that came with the unit. My plan is eliminate the sofa all together. I do have a recliner but that is going out the door as well.

I am totally redesigning the interior to suit my needs. I will post pictures when I am far enough along. Right now the water closet is my project because I wanted to do a little experimenting in there with painting the walls. It's coming along nicely.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Our LazyBoy Loveseat recliner was purchased off the floor at a local LazyBoy store. It is 65" + - wide, the same width as the Sofa that came with our new Mountaineer. The recliner sofa makes into 2 recliners. It sets about 4 inches or so from the wall and the seat slides foreward to allow each seat to recline( seperately). Very comfortable.
The back of the sofa is removeable (as was the factory sofa) so it clears the doorway with inches to spare.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:13 AM   #8
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Painting? Do you have to use a special paint. I would like to do our ceiling. We have marks from where they filled staple holes that are a different colour than the rest of the ceiling.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
SMC,

Not special paint but good paint and primer made to cover vinyl. I started with the water closet to "experiment" in the least obvious area. I painted the walls a pale yellow and the ceiling a pale blue.

You have to take your time and really, I mean really get the surface ready to paint. The pattern on the vinyl will show through with just one coat of primer. You need to prime and let dry for 24 hours or more and then look at it. I only put one coat of primer on the water closet ceiling, because it's a little less textured or multi colored than the ceiling in the rest of the unit. I put two coats of primer on the vinyl on the walls, and I probably could have used three.

I am happy with the result but I did learn that painting over the vinyl will show ever nick or flaw in the wall or corners that are not mitered well. You can paint just about anything if you prepare the surface to be painted correctly.

It's not a one day project or even a weekend if you are willing to let the primer set up as it should.

Please let us know if you paint the ceiling. I keep looking up and thinking about it!