Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
House cat to 5th wheel cat

We just bought a Mountaineer and were wondering if either of our fur dudes would travel with us. Has anyone taken a "house" cat and made them a "5th wheel" cat? Neither of these guys like riding in the car carriers. Sergeant, our oldest, much prefers sitting on the console between the seats and watching the world whiz by. Chuck would rather just not see anything.

We'd crate them for the trip out and back, but let them be king of the Mountain(eer), just like they are at home. Should we consider one of those Kittywalk systems where they can be outside, but "confined"?

My biggest concern is that one of them would slip out the door -- since they're both house cats, I have no idea what they'd do in the great outdoors.

We did take Sergeant on a short trip in our 25 ft travel trailer, but space was at a premium and it was tough finding a good spot for his toilet and dining facilities. The 307RKD we just bought seems to have more room for that type of thing...

Susantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Susan, we don't have a traveling cat but we have seen cats with a halter and leash being walked by the family. Other friends have made them in-the-trailer type cats. They made a hold somewhere (maybe under the steps) so the cats could go into the basement to use the litter box.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Susan,
Our house cats don't even try to go out, they enjoy laying in the Sun and smelling neat smells.
We have the Good Sam ID tags on each of them. If lost, they have a ID number, and the Toll free phone number. Good Sam calls us letting us know where kitty is.
Kitty's just love to be around us, I would try it.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Our cat hid in the closet his first time out for five days - last year, we took him for 6 weeks - after he got used to his surroundings and nobody was around outside, he would go out with collar and leash and me to walk around - we definitely plan to take him with us from now on especially when we are gone a long time (this summer for 3 months) - he just likes to be with us! In the 2980RL we plan to put the liter box in the shower and his bed and food in the compartment designed for the washer - of course, he will have the run of the rig, butmost of his time will be on the bed or one of our laps! So - what is this "Kittywalk" system?

Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
The Kittywalk system is a series of "tunnels" (purchase each separately, of course) that connect together. I've seen them in pet shops where they have several of them connected together, along with a "cabana" that has hammocks, and in one tunnel they'll have the litter box, and another tunnel will have the food dishes, etc. I contacted the manufacturer and they say they sell a lot of these systems to RVers.

The tunnels are made of a mesh that looks like fishnet, but isn't easily torn. So in the tunnels, the cat(s) can be outside, on the grass (no floor in the system), but be protected from running off or other animals -- skunks might be the exception to that!!

Maybe we'll try it again with the older cat, since he's less skittish than the younger cat.

Thank! I'm really enjoying this forum -- especially like the Show and Tell area where folks give me ideas about more/better storage. I'm a real storage nut (just ask DH) and have started printing out the suggestions and will put them in a notebook to travel with us (so I have stuff for DH to do, if I can pry him out of the hammock!)...
Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #6
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Thanks for the info on the Kittywalk - will look into it - at my daughter's last summer, Murphy stayed in a 2-man tent ($15. at WalMart) plenty of room for his box and food and even his pet carrier, so he could hide from the grandchildren, netting on one side where it opens and netting on the top,too - worked pretty good - this was inside, too - will probably be even better outside except I think dogs could rip through if they wanted to - would not leave him outside alone -

Good luck on your honey-do list -

Suzanne
Old 02-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
We always travel with ours. We bought harnesses and leashes at Petsmart. They are indoor cats and never go out, but they hate the cat carrier, and I wouln't think of letting them ride in the camper while driving. They like being able to walk around. I like the harness becausr before we stop, I put them on the leash and hold them before we open the door. I put them in the cat litter box during stops while someone walks the dog. We moved the panel under the bedroom closet and stuck the litter box in there so we can also empty it from outside. Now we have the bedroom in the bak so that works for us.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Any pet can be trained to accept an RV if you give them enough time to adapt to it. What is hard on the pet is expecting them to adjust as quickly as you do. I have purchased a foldable crate for our cat that would fit a Great Dane. He can see everything as well as have his litter box and food and water when outside. I have leashed trained him and keep him either hooked to a seat belt or in a carrier when traveling. The seat belt is for his safety as well as ours, nothing worse than having a pet crawl under you feet when you are trying to put on your brakes.

I keep the litter box where it is easy for Alex to get to and don't change it. The food and water are near by but not next to the litter box.

If you are interested in the foldable crates for dogs or cats you can visit Petedge.com.

We are looking forward to retiring soon after owning a dog and cat boarding kennel for 27 years. I can't wait to show my kitty the USA.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
we travel with two dogs and a big cat. All wear pet seat belt harnesses. They all ride in the tow vehicle with us. Cat likes to watch the road and also sleep. I keep a covered litter box in the truck while traveling. This one is small enough to fit in back seat behind the front seats. Also the small potty box fits fine in the 5th wheel. We put it on the dresser in bedroom and have not found another place yet. We have to put it there to keep the dogs out of it.
Your cats will get to love going along, so they can be with you.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Miss Kitty loves her RV home. She jets from one end of it to the other; off the bed through the kitchen and onto and over the couch just like at home. She especially enjoys sitting on the back of the couch, watching birds and pouncing on the dogs when they least expect it. Before we moved in full time, we had the Monte in front of the house and while packing it up would just let her come and go at her leisure. This may have made the transition a little easier.
The catbox was another issue. Steve bought a small cat door and cut a hole through to the "basement" where the catbox is located. All he has to do is open the back storage door and he can empty the box. That way, she has plenty of privacy!
Good luck,
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #11
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Tara - could you tell me exactly where Steve put the cat door to the basement - and - do you not worry about the cat getting into all the stuff you have stored there? Thanks!

Suzanne
Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Our late Miss Oreo Baby Kitty made the transition from house cat to RV cat with very little problem. She had a harness that she would wear when she went outside. She didn't like it at first but decided that it was okay after a couple of days. She loved to sit on the back of the sofa and look at the world. When we towed, she would get under one of the seats and stay under there until we stopped for the night. She never had a problem wanting to go outside. If she wanted to go out, she would sit at the door and meow at us until we got the harness on.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
2NutsonaFarm
Established Member

M.O.C. #4645
Hi Susan,
We encounter many cats and cat owners during our travels. Our two cats attract them to us. At home, Tom and Geri are both indoor-outdoor cats, except we keep them in at night. They ride with us in the cab during travel. It took time and patience to teach them never to go on the drivers side of the pull truck. At first they tried to get out of the truck or Monty everytime we opened a door. But they both have adjusted a little more each trip. Geri did get out once and hurried back in. We still watch them closely because they are also outdoor cats. Training them in a vehicle does require that you, the passenger, be quick and adgile. We find they are as playful in the Monty as they are at home. We have cat strollers, and harness and leash for fresh air and change of scenery. We keep them in the Monty when not strolling or walking them. They know when we are loading up the Monty to leave on a trip and they come in the house and wait for us to carry them to the truck. We made short trips at first. The last trip was a month with a two week stay in one place. They had a routine all worked out by the time we got home. I believe we could have gone full timin' with no problem. There are lots of great ideas already posted here by others. Ideas new to me too. Cats can be so different from one another. Also, like us, the older the more mellow and compliant they are. So, try the things that seem suitable and workable for you and your cats. The time you spend training them is time well spent. I think the question to seat-belt or not, to cage or not depends on you and the cat in question. What works on one will probably work on the other. We find Tom to be more compliant and easier to train, but Geri is a copy-cat. So she learns from his example; sometimes slowly. I know you can enjoy traveling with your cats as much as we enjoy traveling with ours. We wouldn't think of leaving home without them.

Karen
2NutsonaFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Suzanne,
We have the Front living Model, so our bedroom is in the rear. The very back of the camper is our closet. We put the kitty door right under the closet, which doesn't go all the way to the floor. Underneath the closet is a storage compartment that runs the entire length of the camper from one side to the other. Steve cut the hole there and made it look very nice and clean. Since the bed is up close to the wall/closet, you can't see it unless you look really hard. Works for us. We also thought about putting it in the compartment next to the front stairs, that would have worked for us too. Everything in the compartment is in Rubbermaid containers, keeps kitty out.
Good luck,
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We have two cats and up until last year neither has ever travelled or spent time outdoors alone. Last year our older cat had a medical problem that required that we give her medicine daily. As we were about to leave fpr two weeks we decided to bring her with us. Our other cat was happy to stay home and be visited by neighbors daily.

We got Munchkin into the cat carrier and into the truck. She expected that this was a trip to the vets and protested loudly. After an hour she settled down in her carrier on the console between us and was great for the rest of the trip. She loved the Montana and didn't even mind the carrier as we moved campgrounds. Once home (2000 miles later) we left the carrier out while we were cleaning up. When our other cat started exploring the carrier, Munchkin started growling ferociously, saying 'Back off! That's mine!'. This year, when we got the carrier out she was in it in a flash!

Our other cat will have to get used to it next year when we will be going for a few months, but at least, he'll have her example to follow.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #16
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
Jim and Diane:

This isn't on the topic, but -- WOW!!! What a great picture!!!

The cat we're considering taking with us has a thyroid condition that necessitates medication twice a day. Currently, we've been doubling up if we knew we were going to be gone for a period of time. Taking him along would mean he'd get his medication in the controlled doses the vet prefers.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I will be converting one of my cats this summer to a "Fifth wheel cat". it will be interesting as he is quite shy around other people, at least for a while anyway........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote