Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
Montana_4263

M.O.C. #4263
3650 montana

we love our 3650 however we are having problems keeping it cool this summer (this is our first with this unit) has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it?

Montana_4263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dmeyer,
We have a different model than you but we did spend a summer in Phoenix a couple of years ago. Wow was it hot! You don't say where you are but it sounds hot. I assume you have just the one AC. You can always add another AC. Many units are prewired for a second unit. Before you go that route make sure you have the AC unit running at the HIGH setting. Also make sure the AC vent at the unit is open. This will dump a lot of cool air right at the AC.... which helps cool things down. Once things are sort of cooled down close the vent at the AC and air will be pushed into the ducts thru out the unit.

If you are getting a lot of direct sun thru the windows perhaps some reflective sunscreens would help. We also got some of the "insulation pillows". We shove these up into the vent openings. We found they really do help. They're also good in the winter to help keep heat in.

But if you are in a very hot area the only real answer is probably the installation of a second unit.

Good luck and stay cool..... Oh, yeah.... remember the unit does have wheels and you can always move to the mountains or the ocean.... hopefully it would be cooler there.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had a bit of trouble keeping ours cool with one AC this summer, too. We were in mid to upper nineties with high humidity and had no shade. We found just cheap foamboard from Walmart in the windows really makes a difference. We just put it between window and shade. We can quickly pull it back out when we want. The foamboard is a cheap, quick solution, if you're not looking for a prettier solution. Today it's in the mid-eighties but low humidity (20%) and the AC runs a little but not for long. We also have a couple of floor fans running to keep the cooler air circulating.

Good luck. You didn't say where you are located. You may be fighting a tough battle to win.

Ours is prewired for the second AC but we're not planning to add the second unit since we don't spend all that much time in areas where we'd need it. And some RV Parks charge more if you have 2 AC units whether you use them or not. Just our personal preference. If we did whole summers in that kind of heat and humidity we'd probably go with the second AC.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Dmeyer Welcome to the MOC. I for one can't stand hot weather so we are adding a second a/c. That would be my suggestion.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We got the second air unit from the get-go. We have lived on the Texas Gulf Coast too long not to know about the heat and humidity. Otherwise, keep the shades pulled on the sunny side. Any part of the day under a big tree helps quite a bit. We use reflective materials on the afternoon sunny side windows.

The second unit handles the heat quite well in our rig. It even get cold at night in the bedroom. Hope you get your temperature down soon.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
dmeyer, Welcome to the MOC! We found that the AC unit on our Montana is not quite up to what we previously had before, but it is adequate. We too are wired for a second Unit, and have been playing with the thought of installing another one, but, we will wait till we are on the road more and need it.

melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:45 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to MOC. I see some good suggestions for keeping the heat down in our units. We just returned from Vernal, UT, where it was extremely hot. The RV park had mature trees and grass between sites, so that helped. When we would come back to the Montana we would turn on the AC (we have 1) and it wasn't long before it cooled off. We also kept the shades/blinds closed, especially on the sunny sides. From what I've seen on the news, almost everywhere is extremely hot this summer. I think we've decided next year we will travel mainly in spring and fall and avoid the summer scorch.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #8
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome and congratulation on your new unit..Keeping cool! I also keep the shades and roof vents close,I close off each room of the unit so the air will stay in each area. It's hard to cool the whole unit when the rooms are open. I turn the celling fan and the A/C on low. It help with the condensation. You can also have the windows tinted.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote