Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Monty Roof

My current 3400RL is my first RV, and I was just wondering. Why is it the Monty, and all other SOB's I guess, use a rubber roof that is always out in the elements and subject to tears and nicks. Why is it they don't just use a metal roof like buses and cargo trailers use? I realize the metal roof may be a little heavier and more expensive than the wood and rubber roof; but, wouldn't it be worth it for the extra durability? Just wondering.

Buddy

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One reason might be because consumers complained about the noise when it rains.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
AND the rubber roof carries a 12 year warranty. The rubber also flexes with the movement (twisting) of the trailer and YES they are considerably lighter. I also doubt a metal roof is as durable considering the super structure beneath.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I would just assume (IMHO) that if a metal roof were attached to the metal roof rafter system that it would add a lot of strength to to an otherwise flexable frame system. And if they used aluminum for a roofing material wouldn't it be close to the weight of the rubber and wood that they now use? There is some reason that the trailers that haul our freight use an aluminum roof. Oh, and if they used spray-in foam between the roof rafters that should dampen the noise when it rains. They could even offer the omitance of the foam as a marketing option. They could say: "Omit the rain dampener for that "Old Fashioned Rain-On-A-Tin-Roof Sound"". Just kidding,,, but seriously I really do wonder why they don't use a more permanent metal roof. Thanks guys for the comments.

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
In an age before Montanas, they did use metal roofs. As Orv points out, they were musical during rain storms! Loudly musical.

They had a bit of maintenance, now, Al did ours, but, it seems that every year you were supposed to closely inspect the caulking stuff around the vents, air conditioner, antenna, etc. Then, periodically you were supposed to paint the entire roof with this special, expensive, silver roof stuff. The roofs were not made the way they are now, where you can walk on ALL of it, you had to step between the rafters. So, on paint day, Al would take a large sheet of plywood, paint, brush, etc, and up he would go.

You try to forget bad memories, so, mine is a bit shaky on this, but, it seems it would take him the good part of a day, it was stinky, nasty, and made your body ache. I do remember, clearly, that Al hated doing it, and well, bless his soul, he was rather cranky when he came down off that roof and in need of at least one adult beverage.

Inspecting the roof vents and stuff is something he still does, but of course, and he washes the roof, and he is still sore, cranky and in need of at least one adult beverage. But, he is only dealing with Dawn dish detergent and a brush and water, and not that stinky, on your knees application of that icky paint.

That said, we do miss the ting ting ting musical sound of rain on the metal roof.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Coachman TT had a aluminum roof with no issues. My guess is that it is a cost issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Rubber roofs are very easy to apply with no flaws, are very durable (flexible) and are sealed better at any joints with low maintenance over a long period. The metal roofs were difficult to handle in both shipping and application, not that easy to form to the mold of the roof and difficult to seal as metal characteristics expand and contact at a very high rate with huge differences in temperatures in North America, ( we were always recaulking vents and joints on metal roofs to avoid leaks)..
Many metal roofs on RVs were damaged in the Northern areas with hail storms where insurances companies picked up the tab to reroof. Probably many more that I missed. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
They may have a "12 year warranty" but try to use it. When you buy your trailer the sales talk about how good it is and what a great warranty. But when you need to get it repaired or replaced,then you do the salesman and the roof company dance until you get so frustrated that you have to turn it in to your own insurance for repairs. So, all in all, don't hold your breath if you need warranty work on your roof. Just my own "sour" opinion on the roof warranty. If you can tell, my experience did not go so well.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we had trailers with metal roofs, we continually had to paint it with Kool Seal to prevent leakage around screw heads, rivets, etc. As for the 12-year warranty, that's provided by Dicor, not the RV dealer.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Your right Orv, Dicor does provide the warranty, if only they would back it.Their decision was based on a picture taken of the roof. Then guessing what "might" have happened. They never came out to look at it.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So... what kind of roofs are on the high end units - the $150K to $250K? Didn't they use fiberglass? I know that weight was not a consideration on these 20K++ units. Just curious as to why they didn't go with a Dicor roof. Or am I wrong???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I had an Itasca Class A and it had a fiberglass roof, came with a 10 year warranty on the roof.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I don't know the reason why my SOB company went with Dicor rubber roof but I do know that I get a discount on my RV insurance because of the 'flexible roof' that is installed. Hail storms here have not damaged it (knock on wood) yet a neighbor who has an older SOB, all aluminum to include the sides, has multiple dings, dimples and depressions all over his 5er -- looks like someone took a ball-peen hammer to it.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote