Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
bikefever
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9158
What accessories do I need

Our new 3455SA will be delivered next weekend. We have not seen the RV in person and it is our first RV. It will be delivered to a site with full service in Grand Lake, CO. The electrical service will be 30 amps. Do I need an adapter, the 3455 has 80 amp capability.

What other items do I need for the initial setup. There are limited services in Grand Lake, so we would like to purchase everything we need prior to going up to Grand Lake and looking at our new beauty.

Thanks in advance.

bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
You'll need chalks for your wheels, so your new Monty won't roll away, when disconnecting from the truck. I have never seen an 80 amp cord, most are 50 amp. You'll need a 50 to 30 amp electric adapter. If your going to be using the parks cable TV you'll need a TV cable for the hook up. Be sure and buy a water presure regulator and a potable water hose. Many of us use a water filter on the fresh water hose. Also sewer hose and connectors. A few wooden or plastic blocks are handy to level with and also support the feet on your crank down jacks. A couple of comfortable out door chairs are a must. Then a glass, ice, and a jigger or two of single malt scotch will help you enjoy your great new rig.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Hi, your trailer has 50 amp service, so should come with a 50-30 "dogbone" a short cord with a 50 amp female connection and a 30 amp male. You need a sewer line with connections on it, a fresh water hose (with washers and for potable water), a water pressure regulator, these are the absolute minimum requirements but your dealer should supply all this, and hopefully some other "nice to have things".
There are many other things you will/may need and I'm sure other members will have further suggestions.
Enjoy your new rig!

Peter
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
daneboy,
Ii took a drink break midway, and you beat me to it, with better suggestions by the way!
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bikefever -

In addition to the above, there are certain "optional" items you may want to consider depending on financial situation. We are going through the same list right now prepping for our new Big Sky - but we are moving from a 3400 Montana. You may want the carpet pads that go around the stairs to protect the inside of the Montana from tracked in dirt. You may want some awning tie downs given the wind in the mountains. In addition to the wheel chocks, many people find that the between the tire chocks (ratchet out and actual touch both tires) help take the bounce out of the unit. A ground carpet for outside the unit to create a "patio" is also found with a lot of MOC members. We are also looking at the screen that attaches to the awning for more shade. You may find the unbreakable acrylic wine glasses are a nice touch also for traveling. If you want TV in the mountains - a tripod, dish and satellite receiver make great additions. Boondocking - Honda 2000 generator. Going biking - a bike rack (1 1/4 inch receiver). Getting a new Montana - priceless. For everything else there's Mastercard. By the way - Grand Lake is a beautiful location. We will eventuall live over in the Red Feather Lakes area (years from now). We enjoy going through Estes Park over to Grand Lake and over Trail Ridge Road. Enjoy your new Montana.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:14 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ditto on the single malt scotch. That needs to be first. You might also consider getting a surge protector to protect your Monty from errant shore power. Welcome to the forum.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Low CG power seems to be the norm, at least the last few parks I have been in, I would strongly consider an autoformer to boost CG power to a usable amount without burning out motors in your rig. This is not a cheap proposition but one we were willing to make to protect our equipment over the next 8 years.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Gary Christy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7469
Sounds like the monty will be on the site for a long term stay. A tripod for the front king pin will also help stabelize the unit along with the tire chocks, Use the camlock type. A good large tote for dumping would be handy as well. Enjoy the new unit. Gary
Gary Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There are an infinite number of accessories. Be careful that getting so many will overload either your TV or the trailer.

Besides all the gadgets everyone mentions above here's more. Some of these might be provided by your dealer upon pick up:

Make sure all your coax cabling is RG-6, period.
Lightweight dishes, utensils, kitchen gear.
Even if your rig has a central vac, get a broom/dustpan and Swifter for the non-carpeted floor.
You'll need some type of homemade or storebought Black water deodorizer.
Don't forget the box of latex gloves (even if you are neat, unanticipated events may occur when doing clean up).
Get a clear elbow for checking that the dumping is going well.
Make sure you keep the blackwater hoses separate from the fresh water hoses and containers for each.
Get the 50A/30A adapter and 30A/15-20A adapters for emergency sake.
Get a collapsible waste container and the garbage bags to fit.
A tool kit - torque wrench and sockets, tire wrench, tire gauge, compressor, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. etc.
A first aid kit
Blocks and chocks (know that where you park is never as flat as you'd like).
Triangle and flares (can't be too safe and if you are parked on the side of the road in the dark you are a BIG target.
Extra containers to store all your stuff neatly.
A very well financed credit card (LOL)
I won't even touch on the wife's side of needs.

And the list goes on....

Congratulations on your new rig!!! I hope we see you around.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
For CG's without potable water and sewage hookups (most provincial parks - we like the privacy and the rugged scenery), we carry 4 6-gallon water containers and a 30-gallon waste tote. They don't weigh much, but we can park the Monty for days. Every couple of days, I dump the gray and black water into the tote, tow the tote to the dump station, dump it, fill the water containers, go back to the Monty and fill the fresh water tank.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We've had our 2009 3455SA now for almost two months. It does have a central vac. However, the hose is quite heavy to pull around so I let hubby do the vacuming (smart, aren't I). The pull out pantry with wire shelving only had 4 shelves. There was lots of wasted space between them. As the shevles are adjustable, we ordered two more through our dealer. Cost us about $35.00 including shipping to us. Well worth the cost.

Good luck and you will love this unit. I especially love the kitchen layout. Lots of counter space and everything so handy.

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Oops - also - ours did not come with slide toppers. We took the rig back and had them istallled. It was a 90 mile trip each way. Never thought about them not coming with the unit. In fact, never even noticed until we had it for a few days! Phyllis
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 AM   #13
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
One more thing, I noticed when we first looked at the rig at the dealer that sitting in the recliner closest to the television I would not get a good view of the TV. Would only see part of the picture and then it was from a side angle. We had the sofa and recliners switched. Now the sofa is in front of the large window and the recliners directly facing the television. The small table that sat between the recliners is next to the sofa and sits closest to the TV. Also, by doing this, the sofa is narrower than the recliners so when the slides are pulled in nothing has to be moved for travel.

Phyllis
Old 05-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Hope you are enjoying your new 3455. Sounds like it's getting some use.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #15
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Tots are real handy for the basement for loose items when traveling and they come in all sizes.
I don't know if anyone told you, when hooking up to shore power make sure the breakers are off at the shore power end till after you plug in to the Monty.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #16
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Don't forget the toilet paper!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
... and make sure the TP decomposes quickly - Angel soft for example. I forget the description, but Orv (ols1932?) has it down pat. Something about putting a sheet in water, shake it around and it should fall apart easily. If if doesn't, don't use it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote