Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
dcpark
Established Member

M.O.C. #8268
Security Light

We are about 5 days into the rest of our lives as full timers in our new Montana 3400RL. When we were all loaded and hitched up I noticed the door side security light was on. Went to the switch by the steps inside to turn it off, but was already in the off position. Arrived at our CG and it was still on.

Called the dealer,they suggested I take a wire off the switch. Did it. Light still on.

Removed the 15 amp blade fuse marked DS from the 12 volt fuse box--light still on. Pulled several others - light stayed on.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions besides taking out the bulb?

Thanks.

Dave

dcpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Sorry, I don't have a real answer, but I did discover last weekend that just because a fuse was labeled "DS" doesn't mean it actually goes there.

We had 3 mis-labeled breakers and fuses on our panel (maybe more, but haven't explored it all yet).

Does the Battery Master disconnect kill it? I understand that the Propane sniffer and possibly the backup camera, if you have one, are hard-wired to the battery so maybe they cross-wired something there.

Sorry to be so little help. but we're real new at this too

sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Not sure how the wiring is routed from the power panel to the light fixture. If the hot wire from the power panel goes to the light first then to the switch to complete the ground when you turn it on, and there is a problem in the light fixture causing a short to ground to occur on the wire running to the switch, then the light would stay on all the time. This theory doesn't explain why the light didn't go off when you pulled the fuse on the power panel, unless the panel is labeled wrong causing you to pull the wrong fuse. This is just me thinking out loud.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just another thought - do you have the new Monty with the remote control? I think the remote can turn on those lights.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm sorry! You took the wire off of the switch and it was still lit!!!!

That gives new meaning to "lighting up" at Wally-world. No generator, no power, and light still on. []

How many wires are on that switch?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahaha - ya it does sound like the twilight zone! or Uncle Fester

The only reason I ask about the remote is when I installed my remote the relay wire is connected downstream of the wall switch so it can bypass it.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #7
dcpark
Established Member

M.O.C. #8268
Brad, you are a genius. I never noticed the light icon on the remote before. Must have accidentally pushed it while getting ready to pull out. Mystery solved. Thanks.

Dave & Carol
dcpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glad I could help
Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
dcpark, don't feel bad that kinda stuff happens all the time. We have owned several 5th wheels and just pick up a new one. The first trip, I was backing into a site and DW said the rear scare lights are on when you are backing up. I said I'll check it out later, well learn something every day. The 2009 (SOB) has the rear scare lights mounted in a way their also a back-up light (seperate bulb) when your in reverse? Good idea, guess I should have read the manual. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
OK ... now I gotta drive back out the the dealer and get the keyring back that has the remote on it ... I have to check this out for myself too I never noticed the light switch either
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote