Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
Generators

We haven't had our shake-down yet in our 2008 Fifth Wheel. We ordered it with a generator which is run by propane. We were told there should be a started inside but we can't find it. Also disappointed there is no hour meter on it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The starter switch on ours also had an hour meter. Look inside the bedroom closet close to the bedroom TV. It may be close to the TV amplifier (White plate with a black button). The amplifier is on when the green LED is on.
Let us know what you fine.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
Thanks so much for your info on the generator. I was so excited and went to look immediately. No luck!! There is a plug for the TV and the amplifier and that is all. We are really disappointed and hope Lazy Days can install a switch, although we were sure it was to be installed when we ordered the rig. Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ruth,
I had the Onan 5500 installed on our 3400RL and the technician put the switch where John indicated in the closet. I hope you find it.

Edited: on my unit in the front compartment, the cover just pulls off from the top and then lift up. You will see the starter switch there and the one that goes on the inside looks just like it. I do not have an hour meter on mine but am interested in getting one.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
A little different twist with a different generator. In the paper tonight there is a Champion 4000 watt generator for $299 at Schucks. Anybody know about this? Is the power good for computers and tv etc. I hate to pay $2000 for two hondas when this might work.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The cheaper generators usually are too noisy to be used in a campground. If you are concerned about your laptop, use a surge protector with it - a good one. Most of those are construction grade so they are used for powering tools where noise isn't a problem. I agree the cost of two Honda's is expensive, but you do get what you pay for it seems. We purchased one Honda to start (we usually only use it in the mountains where we don't need the A/C). We anticipate purchasing a second one along with the parallel kit. You might want to also look at the Kipor's or the Yamaha's.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
On my SOB the switch, hour meter and that is located in the cabinet underneath the bathroom sink.. (What and why that location -- I doubt anyone knows. ) You might look in that cabinet on yours as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Mike: We have Attwoods here in Kansas that sells the Champion Brand. This is what is classified as a contractors generator ... good for running saws, drills, job site lights, fans, radio, and pumps ... and most importantly good for making NOISE! I needs to run virtually wide open all the time to produce rated output. It has no electrical circuitry that for no better word "smooths" out its output of electricty, so computers or circuit boards on refrigerators and furnaces will have a rough go with it. On page 10 of the owners manual, it addresses the previous sentence. In essence saying it's not rated for sensitive electronic devices without added protection. This is an example of what you pay for is what you get ... (in my experience), to safely run your RV A/C and computer equipment ... you're going to have to spend @$1000 minimum unless you stumble across a good used one whose owner just wants it out of his garage.
PS ... Ruth, sorry for the hijack ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks dieselguy, that's what I was looking for.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Mike, sent you an e-mail regarding the deal I got on dual Honda EU2000i units in southern OR since your headed this direction soon.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #11
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I got the e-mail Don. Thanks for the input. I am going to try to coord my schedule to make this work...now, just to help my wife see the "necessity":>)
Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Mike: I have 2 Honda 2000 in parallel and I haven't used them both at once yet. Unless you are going to run the a/c you only need one. I do find that with the 2, I run one from when we setup until we go to bed, then run the other one all night. Of course I am talking in the spring and fall when the heat is on. Other than that I don't run the one overnight. I find I can get over 8 hrs. out of 1 genny.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

Mike.... From my point of view (a woman's), I don't see the necessity of a generator unless it can be started from inside the Montana.
Most of our camping is boondocking also.

That's the only way I'd let my hubby have a generator, so he had an Onan installed and had the start/stop panel with a hour meter installed inside our Montana near the stairs going up to the bedroom.

If you don't want to install a generator, you could always buy a Honda EU3000 (electric start) and get a "remote start" kit so you can start it up from inside the Montana from 70 to 100 feet away. Or buy it already equipped with the "remote start".

I don't know much about generators or the operating requirements of them, but could you carry and operate a Honda EU3000 from inside the front storage (like where our Onan is) as long as you had an air vent and exhaust opening? I don't think the Honda EU3000 is any louder than our Onan, in fact, it's probably quieter!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
Thanks for all of your input. We arrived at LazyDays yesterday and talked with our salesperson. She called Keystone and the inside switch and hour meter should have been installed and somehow it was overlooked -- all wiring was there. So LazyDays is installing it and we pick it up tomorrow. We are very pleased. We leave tomorrow for 90 days on the road doing the NW part of the US. Hopefully diesel won't keep going up or we may have to get out and push. Again, thanks for all of the info.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad things worked out.
Have a safe trip.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ruth,

That switch is hard enought to find in the closet - I'll bet it's even harder to find when they forget to install it!

I you remove the cover on the front of the generator, there is another switch you can use if you have to.

Enjoy that new rig!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote