Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Windows on Each Side of the Headboard

RE: The windows in the slide-out on each side of the head of the bed. Do they still come as the "lift-type?".

The ones in our 2002 model are the type that lift-up to open. They are equipped with two locking tabs that require a person to be sitting up near the window and while using both hands, push both the tabs at the same time while lifting the window open.

Equipping that area with sliding windows would be much easier on a person. Then the windows could be managed with one hand while leaning across the bed. Or during the night if you wake up and want a little air, you wouldn't have to sit up and use both hands to open the window. Just reach over, lift the locking handle and slide the window open.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Ours has those tiny little lift tabs. Useless. I have broken more nails on those things than anything else.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
That's what we have(tabs)on our 2007 3650RK.

A center release and lift would work great one handed.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I have yet to manage to get one of those darn things open. They are horrible! All I managed to do was bust up a couple of knuckles!
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hate them, rarely use them. They are a huge pain in the butt. They also use the same mechanism in the side windows in the Rear Livingroom models, Hate them TOO!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Greed, they are pain..DW usually calls me inside to get one on my side of bed open.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Can someone answer my question as to why there is no window over the headboard? In all the motor homes we've had, we've had a nice sliding window. There's one over the dresser.

Just wondering. There has to be a logical reason.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl

They can not put the artificial head board on the wall if there is a window there. The headboard is probably cheaper.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
The reason we bought our Monty was that there was NO window over the headboard - been there, done that - windows over the headboard are a pain! - you cant sit up and read without leaning against the blinds, and in cold weather it is freezing under that window. Solid headboard with NO window is the way to go.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:12 AM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with markwick. Our other Montana had it and we hated it for the reasons he stated above.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

RE: The windows in the slide-out on each side of the head of the bed. Do they still come as the "lift-type?".

The ones in our 2002 model are the type that lift-up to open. They are equipped with two locking tabs that require a person to be sitting up near the window and while using both hands, push both the tabs at the same time while lifting the window open.

Equipping that area with sliding windows would be much easier on a person. Then the windows could be managed with one hand while leaning across the bed. Or during the night if you wake up and want a little air, you wouldn't have to sit up and use both hands to open the window. Just reach over, lift the locking handle and slide the window open.

Our 2003 has dual paned windows and they are the sliding ones in the bed slide out. The opening is exceptionally small though. Still I can open them with ease. They really are fine to get just a bit of air in the middle of the night. The bad side of having dual paned windows is the large window over the dresser only opens for an ER exit and has no screen. Thank goodness for the vent over the bed.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:06 AM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
We all have to remember that the folks that design the rv's do not own one . If they were forced to live in one for a year you would see a lot of change, those little pull up windows would be gone. We also have to remember that all the parts that go into these rv's are made close to the assembly areas. When you shop around you find that most rv's look the same and have almost the same standard equipment on the insides based on the cost of the units. Not much competition in the rv equipment business.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is blocked off to block out light. We never open them. On the headboard, we took it off. Also, our 2007 has just one window on one side of the bed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Well, we have to put in our 2 cents on this.

We like and use the windows in the sides almost every night. Maybe I have big hands, but I can squeeze in the tabs with one hand and lift the window with the other. (I did use silicone on them to keep them free sliding).

Now I have not tried this, but it seems to me that if one were to drill a hole in the tabs and run a cord or something similar across between them, you could then lift on the cord and it would pull the tabs in as you lifted. I'll have to look into this, I think it might just work.

Mr Keystone, if you are reading this, please DO NOT remove the windows, or put a window at the head of the bed. DO find a better way to operate the windows if you can.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #15
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Absolutely OntMont, you said it perfectly:

"Mr Keystone, if you are reading this, please DO NOT remove the windows, or put a window at the head of the bed. DO find a better way to operate the windows if you can".

We like and need the air from those windows at night here in the west. Just want a window that a person doesn't need to sit up, become fully awake or use both hands to open.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
[quote]Originally posted by D and M On The Road

We only have one of those in the bedroom, because of the closet with the shelves between the bed and the shower. They are a pain to open, just as the ones in the living room side windows. Would be nice if they were the kind that open out, so if it rained, you could leave them open without rain coming in. I usually put a towel there to catch rain water, just in case it starts raining and we are sleeping, so it would not run all over the wall.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #17
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Ronnelly,
If they did that (put the kind that open out) our next thread would be about the poor design that allows you the ability to close the slides with those windows opened out and how much it cost to fix the window, side of the slide where the frame twisted and the gel coat on the side of the monty where the window hit it. Keystone, for my two cents keep the sides flush but do make it easier to open.

With the front a/c we use the window beside the bed to bring air into the bedroom if we are just using the Fantastic fan to cool the unit. opening the remaining cieling vent just doesnt do it as it is so close to the fantastic fan you get not air pulled through the bedroom.

Just my opinion,
Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 AM   #18
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We block out the sun in both of the windows and the drapes are a pain when I turn over and get my hand caught in them, so we would rather not have any windows in the bedroom slide.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #19
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
My 2004 Mountaineer has the window at the head of the bed. Wife and I love it. It is the one with the latch arm thar you depress and swing out and shove the window open. Wife still reads books with that window system, she just bunches up the pillows. We open that window along with the crank outs at the foot of the bed over the dresser. I also took out the original fan that was over the bed and put in a fantastic fan so I can adjust fan speed. With this combination we have lots of fresh air in the beedroom at night and this system also takes out more moisture from the shower area.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #20
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Old turbo, our 03 Mountaineer has the same set up and I wouldn't trade it for small windows on the side. With the window open, the vent open and the far side window open we get a lot of air movement in the bedroom.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote