Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Towing

OK-- here's one for the group! Can I tow the Monte in the manuvering position on the Reese slide hitch? Just wondering??

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I suggest you don't.
The manouvering position will set the pin up to 14" back of the rear axle centre. That will add load to the rear axle and take some weight off the steer axle.

If you have a small trailer and a large truck I expect there won't be a problem, but if you are like most of us you don't want to load the rear axles & tires any more.
You also will increase the rig length and turning radii a bit.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Why would you want to?! The whole idea of the 5th wheel is to bear the high pin weight pretty much directly over the rear axle of the pick-up truck to increase the stability of towing. If you move it back too far, your tow handling is going to be very poor, ...quite possibly dangerous.

Ever tow a TT in a heavy, gusting crosswind, or pass a tractor/trailer big rig? It will push your TV steering all over the place because the distance from the hitch to the rear axle of the TV. It multiplies the distance of lateral movement at the hitch, due to sidewall flex of the rear tires and any slop in the steering. Thus, inducing sway/fishtailing. This is the biggest reason I bought a 5th wheel trailer. My behemoth 38 foot 5th wheel handles way better than my 24" TT does using the same truck. Towing the TT, for any long distance, just wears me out.

A little off topic, but....

I came through Arizona with the new Montana last fall and had some pretty severe crosswinds. It handled like a dream, I could feel a little buffeting, but nothing uncomfortable. I talked to a guy at a rest stop one morning. He was a nervous wreck. It seems that the crosswinds had blown his motorhome fully into the oncoming lane about three times, once with an oncoming Semi at a scarily close closing distance. He was seriously thinking about trading it in on a 5er after I told him that I was having no trouble with the crosswinds.

Do us, and yourself, a favor. Be safe and use the hitch as it was designed to be used. Don't wind up as a highway statistic, please.

Here is someone else's opinion. Don't know if he is an expert or not, but he wrote a book about 5th wheeling.

Thursday, February 01, 2007
Sliding hitches

In a recent post in the Fifth Wheels topic at the RVTravel Forum, a gentleman asked about towing with a sliding hitch in the rear position. It seems he had dented his pickup cab while parking his fiver for the first time. He had failed to move the slider. Here's an excerpt from my book on this subject:

The two main types of fiver hitches are stationary and sliding. As we mentioned in Chapter 6, sliding hitches may be necessary with short bed trucks to ensure enough clearance between truck cab and trailer nose when making tight turns. During normal operation, the hitch is positioned over the rear axle to ensure safe and balanced towing. It can be moved to the rear when necessary. This is done by stopping, releasing the slide handle, and then slowly pulling the truck forward while the trailer brakes are held using the brake controller. The hitch should lock in at the rear position, making it safe to maneuver into camp sites or negotiate sharp turns. The procedure is reversed to return the hitch to the forward towing position. It is not safe to tow at normal speeds with a sliding hitch in the rear position. This places the pin weight behind the rear axle, which can cause steering problems or instability with the tow vehicle.

PullRite makes a “SuperGlide” sliding hitch that automatically adjusts the spacing between the trailer and the pickup cab during turns, without requiring the driver to exit the vehicle and manually operate the slide. A similar hitch is the Hijacker AutoSlide. These may be worth checking out if you have a short bed truck. — Jerry Brown

Learn about Jerry Brown's new book "The Fifth Wheel Bible" at RVbookstore.com

Also, here is a document from Reese. See the last paragraph of the WARNING section on page 2 of the Reese document (page four of the Adobe Acrobat file).
[url="http://www.reeseprod.com/fitguides/pdf/N50008.pdf"]>>>CLICK HERE
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Not a good idea and very unsafe if you tried to run at highway speeds. The 5th wheel would tend to steer the TV rather then the steering tires being in control. Fifth wheel hitches are designed to be that 1 to 2 inches forward of the rear axle and that is to attain optimum safety and stability of the TV. Also ensures that the correct weigh ratio to rear versus front axle is maximized. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Back when we had a manual slide I think the manual advised against towing in that postion. And so did the sticker on the slider. As others noted, you move the pin behind the axle causing a lot of weight to come off the steering axle and that's not good for stability. I would not recommend trying it more than possibly just around the campground if you need, for instance, to move to another site and need to use the slider to get out of the one you're in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks gang! The reason I asked was I was sitting at the stick waiting to go to the tire shop to have tires put on the Monte before we head for Michigan and the tire shop was only four or five blocks away! It is a real tight turn getting into the shop and debated whether to leave it in the manuever position but decided against it anyway this morning. You all confirmed my thoughts on the matter anyway! Thanks again!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think it's a good idea to occasionally use the slider whether you really need it or not. We went very long periods without using ours and it tended to be very difficult to get it to slide. It helped a lot when I lubed it with a dry spray like that Camping World and Walmart sell for lubricating slides. But eventually it would need to be re-lubed and exercised to keep it from freezing in place again. I just lubed it and sat on the inbed toolbox and pushed it with my feet after tripping the handle rather than waiting to exercise it with the rig attached.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote