Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Shock Absorbers on Montana?

After a bumpy ride and lots of teeter-totter action for the rear hitch bike rack, I'm contemplating shock absorbers. Any thoughts? Previous posts?

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The newer Montana's with the MorRyde suspension do not require shocks. According to the MorRyde people at the Fall Rally say that shocks will have no additional difference. YES, shocks can be installed but will not change a thing.
IF you did not get the MorRyde pin box with your 3400 I would highly recommend it but even that won't be a cure all. We all have to remember that for all intent and purpose we are driving a tractor trailer. NOTHING we can add on will make our TV and Monty ride like an automobile.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
We have the Mor-Ryde pin-box and the suspension that they OEM to Keystone. Were the Mor-Ryde rep's comments about the OEM product or the IS product? We're not looking to improve the ride in the TV, just to dampen the oscillations of the long rear overhang.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Short of putting on a 3rd axle back there, I know of nothing that can cure that overhang teeter/totter problem.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had the MOR/ryde Individual Suspension installed in 2003 along with a TrailerSaver air ride hitch in the truck. We notice none of the rear end action you describe. I did have a bicycle carrier attached to my rear hitch and it bounced some, but that was due to the way the hitch was installed.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Orv, I wonder if our overhang is longer than yours (trailer is 38'+), so the teeter-totter is more of a problem? Also, does your hitch have a shock absorber? That might dampen the teeter-totter from the front, slowing down the rear end? Our Mor-Ryde pin-box only moderates motion front-to-back. Also, we are looking into ways to moderate the oscillation of the rear hitch assembly (discussed in another thread).
Old 10-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Orv, I wonder if our overhang is longer than yours (trailer is 38'+), so the teeter-totter is more of a problem? Also, does your hitch have a shock absorber? That might dampen the teeter-totter from the front, slowing down the rear end? Our Mor-Ryde pin-box only moderates motion front-to-back. Also, we are looking into ways to moderate the oscillation of the rear hitch assembly (discussed in another thread).
Yes, the hitch has two shock absorbers. I don't know how much overhang I have. Ours is 36 feet long.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Our 06 2955 came with shocks. We use a rear ladder bike rack, without any problems.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
We have shocks on our 3655FL and on our Trailair pinbox. Also have Trailair Center Point( air bags). Never had any problems.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That Trailersaver hitch combined with the Mor-Ryde pin box would be like the "ultimate"!

We have the Airborn pin box and like the ride, but I imagine we still get the teeter toter action. I just cant see it that well from the cab.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:36 AM   #11
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I think I lost my post:
I had these problems on my new Montana 3000rk and after fighting it for six months did put shocks on it and it did improve the ride and eliminated the tetering. Moryde literature does show shocks with the blocks and when we stopped atQuartzite for the rv show they were displaying them at the booth. Read my previous posts, or contact me. The cost was about $500, it was either spend the money and hope it resolved the problemor get rid of it. DW was really upset.
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The picture that displays the shocks on the Mor Ryde site is out of date and not on the suspension that we now have....That comes from Mor Ryde... before anyone spends the money on adding shocks they may want to call Mor Ryde and ask the question. Mor Ryde is the manunacturer and at every Mor Ryde seminar that we have attended they have told us that in depth testing by Mor Ryde and shock manufactureres show that the shock does nothing to improve anything..It is of course our money to spend as we wish but it would be at least nice to know the correct answers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think Mor-Ryde needs to spend a little less time talking to 30-people at a rally and a little more time fixing their website that thousands look at everyday - They have claimed that site to be out of date for over 2-years now......but then it's not my business.

Blarkman -

I can't disagree that shocks improved your ride, mainly because I don't have any basis of experience to disagreee, but I can't imagine trailer shocks did anything for the tetering. From what I see on other rigs going down the road, the tetering seems to come from movement in the pickup suspension, not the trailer. The up and down action on the pin gets greatly exaggerated at the tail.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
We've noticed that the worst oscillation occurs on long bumps, e.g. sinking pavement found entering and leaving highway overpasses and along some highways with sinking foundations, not so much on purely wrinkly pavement.

Here's the sequence: the duallies drop into the dip, the trailer tips forward (tail goes up), then the duallies kick up as they leave the dip (tail goes down, setting up oscillation), then the trailer wheels go down (tail drops further, loading the trailer springs), then the duallies drop to normal at the same time as the trailer wheels leave the dip and bounce up on their springs (the tail is launched into orbit and everything bounces a couple of times as it lands). So, shocks on the trailer wheels and on the hitch might moderate the launch effect.

I can simulate this with my arms. It looks like a belly-dancer move. Restrain your imaginations, please - the reality is unattractive.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yep - I get that every once in a while. I've hit dips and heaves that I swear the trailer pin is going to lift the truck off the ground. I'm not convinced that shocks would change that. Shocks dampen, but don't limit travel.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
AS I said I put shocks on, no more bouncing or rocking. Do you really this a parts supplier is going to say anything negitive. I will not buy an Rv that does not have shocks. I learned my lesson, I believed what they said
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Whatever....At more than one seminar it was stated that extensive testing both by Mor ryde and a shock manufacturer indicated that no improvement was noted by adding shocks to the Mor ryde . However if it makes anyones ride better...put them on and maybe let Mor Ryde know that they are wrong. We learned from Dicor, The roof manufacturer what not to use on the roof .We learned from the graphic manufacturer that waxing the graphics is the worst thing you can do and the proper way to care for the graphics and it goes on and on......but what do any of them know..they only design and manufacturer the product.... Mor Ryde really needs to spend more time talking to folks so that all the myths and miss inforation can be cleared.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote