Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Removing silicone?

Well we're back from our first 4600+ mile trip in our 2955, had a great time even with the minor problems (DVD player out, converter out, tire delaminated, leak in grey tank, small bump from a car in WM parking lot). Fixed or replaced everything and kept on trucking.
Anyway, have noticed that the silicone sealant that is smeared around
all exterior trim is mildewing to black and the plastic trim cover has midewed alot too. I spent the day removing someone elses glob job, just about done, but would like to know if this is factory or an amature solution to a non existent problem. Surely Keystone doesn't use a sealant on the exterior that isn't mildew resistant. 40 years of commercial construction has taught me that silicone caulking is the second worst product out there, all I ever do is peel it off roofs, windows, siding, showers, sinks, ect., fix the leak it was supposed to prevent and replace with the PROPER sealant. Usually a good grade elastomeric polymer, which will stick till H--- freezes over, won't mildew, and is paintable.
The trim insert is easily replaceable but I can't find an exact match to the Montana style so will probably use what is available locally.
If anyone knows of a source for the OEM product please reply.
At least I'll have the inch wide smears that have turned black off and nice clean caulking sealing things up, couldn't ever get the 5'er to look clean before. Then to attack the spots on the roof. Oh well,
wonder how I ever found time to work before I retired.
May all your travels be downhill with a tail wind.

2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tom,
The Bounce drier sheets work well to remove black marks and the mildew on the calk.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tom, a Dealer should be able to get the trim. Might take a while, but it must be available.

As an alternative to silicone, what do you/would you use? Just curious.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Tom, I just went through a detail job on my 2955RL. You are right they sure have big fingers at the factory. Lots to clean up.
One thing I discovered while cleaning the trim on the Monty was that Greased Lightning worked better than anything else I used. The sealant around those skylights on the roof comes out looking like new. Since it worked so well I will bet there is a reason why I shouldn't use it. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Thanks for the replies.s for what I use for sealant, Geocel has been making a really good elastomeric polymer sealant that I have used at least 30 years, still in place on the roofs I've checked, Lexcel and Tru-the-Roof make it too. I never thought of the dryer sheets on the mildewed caulking and trim, use it for bugs, but i have tried every cleaner out there with no results. It's replaced now anyway, but don't the roofing manufacturers frown on any high strength cleaners on the roof? Washed it today with Spic n Span, have tried Murphy's Oil Soap, car washing soap, the cleaners from CW for roofs, all with minimal results. I'm afraid to use bleach or anything stronger for fear of damaging the roofing.
Maybe in a year or two I'll try the liquid EDPM. So if you see a 2955 with a black top going down the road it'll probably be us.
Anyway, still love our Montana and can't wait to get back on the road soon. Turning cooler here tonight, should be a great weekend at the campground.

2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote