Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Jingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #23321
jack damage

First time out with our 3121 and the RV fun has just begun! While turning in to fuel up I hit a curb followed by a crater followed immediately by another curb. DW said I must be looking for a hobby because I have one now. lol.

I have two questions:
1. The jack is not damaged, only the bracket that supports the jack is bent. I am thinking about using a come-along to straighten the jack is there a more elegant method?

2. I have a six point system. The front Jack's have one hole showing and (as you can see from the picture) the rest four jacks have four holes showing. How far up should I move the jacks to provide adequate ground clearance and still maintain rig stability when the jacks are extended. ( We do not boondock or park on unimproved sites.)

Thanks again for your help. Y'all have saved my bacon many times already!

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190311_103831435_HDR.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	3313  

Jingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Ouch! You guys sure have a great attitude.

The number of holes showing is irrelevant. What matters is how high off the ground the pads are in travel position. All trailers could be different in this regard. I would measure them against other units as a starting point. The higher the better and staying mostly in more civilized spots will help. You could always use blocks if you needed to.

I wouldnt put any force on the jack. Perhaps bolting some steel to the mount then pulling on it. Watch for cracks when done. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would take it to a frame shop and have them straighten it.. Personally, I wouldn't raise the jacks unless I planned on doing curbs again.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Bent jack

Welcome to the club. I joined about 6 months ago. Clipped a curb turning into the Cracker Barrell in Waco. My jack still works...no fluid leaks. I beat the shoe back flat. The bracket is bent. The jack has a very slight bend in it...it’s hard to see. I used a sledge hammer to bang the bracket back a bit (front to back). I do not have an impact wrench and I can’t break the nuts to remove the jack so I can try to bang the bracket back plumb. I previously posted about this and someone suggested to bang the bracket out as much as possible then use washers to shim it plumb the rest of the way...which sounds good to me.

I sent an email inquiry to Lippert and they said the best option was to have a new bracket welded on. I took it to a dealer for an annual required state inspection and asked they to look at the bracket. They gave me a cost range of $650 to $900. I’m going to take my chances a bit longer. I am still planning to try to shim it back plumb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B378428C-A23C-445D-839F-6FDEC66281EB.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	3314  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
A hammer will certainly go a long way. Since you are hammering along the fringes of the pad i don't see any harm in that. The weight is more at the center of the pad but you need to beat it down as evenly as possible. I think it will wind up being more cosmetic than anything but the more of the pad on the ground the better.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Welcome to the club. I joined about 6 months ago. Clipped a curb turning into the Cracker Barrell in Waco. My jack still works...no fluid leaks. I beat the shoe back flat. The bracket is bent. The jack has a very slight bend in it...it’s hard to see. I used a sledge hammer to bang the bracket back a bit (front to back). I do not have an impact wrench and I can’t break the nuts to remove the jack so I can try to bang the bracket back plumb. I previously posted about this and someone suggested to bang the bracket out as much as possible then use washers to shim it plumb the rest of the way...which sounds good to me.

I sent an email inquiry to Lippert and they said the best option was to have a new bracket welded on. I took it to a dealer for an annual required state inspection and asked they to look at the bracket. They gave me a cost range of $650 to $900. I’m going to take my chances a bit longer. I am still planning to try to shim it back plumb.
Take your rig to a welding shop or have a mobile welder come to you.
Your dealer is bending you over!
A new bracket could be fabricated and put on for less than half that.
Guess maybe I shouldn’t have retired and sold my rig if they’re getting that kinda money.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
bent jack

Thanks for the good advice!
Old 03-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
buy the bracket and have a certified welder replace it

Don't ask me how I know
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If it were my brand new one I’d order this and find a local welder. I’d say for maybe $200 tops you cou9d get old one cut off and new one welded on.

https://store.lci1.com/jack-mounting...on-134989.html
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
They sell new foot pads reasonably priced on the LCI site too...just 1 bolt holds it on.
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #11
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
First, get it fixed what ever that takes. Second, stay away from curbs. Always make wide turns, don't cut your corners too tight - you're not driving the family SUV
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #12
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I was worry about my front legs, so I raised them all the way up, but then I do like to boondock. I did make 8 " blocks for the legs.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #13
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
Looks like it is one of the rear jacks. When I took delivery of a 2018 I noticed that the four rear jacks were lower than what I had on the 2016. I raised all four one bolt hole, thought about two but considered the hoses could cause an interference.

I didn’t consider the front jacks to be a problem, although it was front jacks on a dealers RV that caused me to check all of mine out. Situation was at a camping show, the dealer was leaving and his jacks hit a speed bump. Root cause of this incident was stabilizer struts add been fitted, these were clamped around the bottom of the jack leg and restricted the jack from fully withdrawing. (Was a Columbus)

With regard to the fasteners being excessively tight, try unscrewing the bolt rather than the nut. The nut has serrations, the bolt does not.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #14
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Just an FYI if you decide to replace it. I had to replace one recently and bought one direct for $450. Then paid a shop their hourly rate to install, about an hour.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
sme1950s
Established Member

M.O.C. #22828
Following up a comment above, need to fix it. Ok First time out I did not lift my rear stabilizer and moved the RV to level it up and like advertised that was not good idea. Then panicked and tried to raise the back up to take pressure of the legs so I could straighten Stabilizer legs, that was not a good idea. Crushed the rails for the stabilizer legs to slide. I am getting to know the Rig with my adventurers and believe you should enjoy working on stuff or this hobby could get expensive before you learn what you need to know. I am looking for some stabilizer parts for a Montana High Country. Any ides other than Amazon? Love my Rig and I am not questioning the light weight construction every pound of weight save is appreciated by my truck and my gas budget. Thanks
sme1950s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #16
Jim Homer
Established Member

M.O.C. #22634
If your levelling jacks in front of your
Jim Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #17
sme1950s
Established Member

M.O.C. #22828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Homer View Post
If your levelling jacks in front of your
Understood front jacks rear are stabilizing correct?
sme1950s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:55 AM   #18
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
My rear jacks were what I thought too low. I did clip a couple times both in soft ground. No damage except slightly bent one pad. Decided to raise them. Raised the rear two holes and the center one hole. Left the front as is. I did get the Anderson blocks to maintain stability when parked but most just use home made blocking. If you extend the jack alot you may get rocking. I have much more peace of mind now with the clearance I have.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #19
Carried Away
Established Member

M.O.C. #20782
We had the same thing happen to us last year ...actually bent it a good 45 degrees...we used a come-along to straighten it out somewhat. Then we found a local welding/fabrication shop near Houston. Rather than having them fabricate the new bracket, we bought the bracket from Lippert for around $150...then had the welder use that for the final fabrication...all told we only paid around $500
or so to fix it all.
Carried Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #20
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Removing the jacks

Just curious - those of you who have removed or raised a jack by a hole or two - what did you use to break the bolts loose? Does it take an air tool or can you break it with a ratchet with a cheater bar? I had no luck with my longest ratchet.