Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
Hitch for rear of RV

I would like to add a hitch to back of my 2955RL Keystone Montana 5th wheel. Any recommendations on a good brand and place to purchase? Mainly to add a bike rack to rear of RV.

smfdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I added a 2" receiver with a universal Reese Hitch. A dealer installed it and had to move the rear stabilizer legs forward so it could be fully mounted on the frame. I then had to add a 10" extension. This does cause the bikes to bounce and wobble around a lot. Lots of movement according to the truckers. Keystone told me not to put more than 200 pounds on the hitch.
I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
smfdva, Hidden hitch makes a bolt on hitch with a 71 inch spread for rv's. Its #82201, I believe. E-trailer has them, Tweetys might. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Some of the U-haul shops do install hitches. I would also check for the places who install 5th wheel hitches or a Welding shop. We had the factory install our rear 2" receiver hitch, 300 lb tongue weight and 3,000 lb towing weight. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I just fixed my 1 1/4 " hitch for bikes with a angle braces from the sides up to the bike rack. its now solid,, the welder told me the hitch that keystone put on is a piece of junk waiting to break ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The problem you may have is where the frame ends. On our 3500RL, it ends about a foot from the back of the trailer, which means you are going to have to come with some type of extension. When you put the extension, bike rack and bikes on, everything will act like a big lever on the hitch and it may cause it to twist. Although the hitch is rated at 300 pounds, I don't know what the force will equal with the extension. It would be great if you could find a dealer who would let you try one out first - or if someone here has the set up and can report back on it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
Sounds like I may for go the hitch and keep carrying them on front of my truck. CUrrently I use Bodiak hitch mounted to the tow hooks on the truck. Great product, just slightly blocks headlights. I cannot notice it driving, so I will just keep it the way it is.
smfdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Just going to throw our bikes (when we get em) in the camper. We have a class 3 hitch and as of today never put anything back there, although they do make alot of nice tailgate accessories that might work great with a 2" receiver hitch when you are parked. ie tables/grills. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Have made two of them so far.
Here is a very important thing you need to do in preparing the hitch to be mounted.
On most hitches you may install, the part that attaches to the frame is about 4 to 6 inches long.
If this is how you are going to install it, STOP!!!!!
Think about the weight that is going to be on the part that is attached to the frame.
When you have something on your hitch, where is the pressure being applied too where the hitch meets the frame.
The rear of the hitch mount wants to be pulled out of the trailer frame and the front wants to push through the frame.
What we did, was attach the mounting part of the hitch to a 1/4" wall 4x4 angle iron, the hitch is located in the rear 1/4 of the angle iron. this way the weight id distributed forward along the angle iron and the trailer frame.
I mounted everything together with clamps first and then tacked everything together, removed the hitch and steel angle island, welded everything together and drill the holes for the mounting of the angle island to the frame.
Now when something is on the hitch, and the weight is pushing down the weight is now distributed a long the length of the angle iron.
It worked great we flat towed a 94 YJ Jeep Wrangler from NH to Yuma, AZ with a side trip to MN.
No problems all the way.
Just a little over length, not much just 10 feet, 85 feet long, again never looked at or stopped once, when we pulled into a tole booth, I ALWAYS told them that I had another vehicle on the back of the trailer, they just asked, how many axles, just 2 and they said thank you
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote