Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
Basement on 3400RL

I look at the large basement on our 3400 and think this is neat. Then I begin to wonder how I am going to get all my stuff in there in a way that makes it easy to find things without emptying the basement?
Has anyone solved this problem? Slide out shelf? Some type of rack system? Numerous hangers from ceiling, walls?

Ideas and pictures would be appreciated and I will return the favor if I come up with something workable.

Thanks for your help.

Alan & Kathy

ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I built a shelf to hold all out "stuff". I'll try to get the DW to post the pictures if she can remember how. If not, maybe I can e-mail them to you.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't have a 3400 but I do have the sliding tray. It was something I questioned getting but now I am very glad I did. It extends out either side making it very easy to get at things in the middle.
They come in various widths. Mine is about 20" wide but you can get them wider,
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I need the same help Alan, after two years I am still very disorganized, however I do have the smaller basement and getting everything in is a chore. I might look into the sliding tray like Glenn but I always thought they took up too much room, and as you know, room is at a premium...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Big plastic tubs seem to work for us--two of them fit on top of each other perfectly-we put that stuff that rolls around in them and it leaves room for chairs, etc
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I wonder how many of you still have the wire basket in the middle under the trap door for dirty clothes? I am seriously thinking about removing mine as we keep our dirty clothes in one of them fold up kind of carriers. That basket in the basement takes up a lot of room.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't know what year your Monty is so don't know if you have the full basement floor, or the drop down on each side (2008 and previous). I had the later version and was tired of things moving around and dropping into that long rectangle of a hole, so I, as a start, used 1/2" CPVC and built a frame for that area. I then tie-tied some pegboard and trimmed the CPVC so that it was flat with the basement floor. It made it so much easier to slide plastic boxes in and out after that. The underneath of the peg-board could still be used for those small items.

Before I got rid of the Monty I had given thought to suspending a shelf, but never got a "round tuit."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hang stuff from ceiling of basement yep, storage boxes, yep on those too.

Measure your stuff, measure your basement, go shopping, WITH measurements.

As far as the laundry baskets, I had them till this spring, they have been replaced with one of those tall square collapsable lightweight carriers indy roadrunner is talking about. Takes up less floor space but still holds a lot, can pull out of the basement with ease (could not get the laundry baskets out by myself they were so wedged in there).

I don't think we are ever DONE organizing, we are always tweaking the packing/organizing process. Something does not work, look for a different way to handle it.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We still use our basement laundry basket, DW just pulls clothes out when time to do the deed, leaves the metal basket in place. Removing it would free up some room in the basement, HMMMMMM, I wonder????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil,

My new laundry holder/basket came with a new W/D combo.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use the laundry basket that came with Monty. Rarely take it our. I made a cover for the inside of ours so people can't see our dirty undies. We have the sliding tray and love it. Dont' think we are losing much space. You can keep long, skinny things (handles, etc.) under the tray.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We are only weekenders and not full timers, so we don't have that much, but we use varying sizes of rubber-maid type tubs with lids. One for 50 amp cord and surge protector, one for water filter and water hoses, one for tools and miscellaneous repair stuff, one for utility electrical cords, and one for BBQ and propane extension hose. The large tubs are same hight to we put the folding chairs on top of the tubs.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
One thing along this line that I do that was recommended by a long time RVer...once a year, I remove EVERYTHING from the basement. You'll be surprised how much 'stuff' you have not used and can be removed and not lugged around anymore.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have the sliding tray. It was a option that Helen insisted on and t is very handy. It will hold 5 of those plastic milk cartons
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sailer had a great display of how to maximize the basement in a Monty. He provided me with his pictures (I had some from show and tell at the rally last fall also). It was the first mod I did to our new Big Sky. He screwed a pair of 1 x 2's to the front wall. Then, he took @ 24" shelves and suspended them with 1/4" threaded rod on the other side. I took it a step further, and put 12" of pegboard inside each side and then started my slides. My Weber Baby Q fits under the lowest shelf, the next shelf up has the stand and aluminum tray and the top shelf has my lawn chairs. On the other side I have tools, more lawn chairs, etc. If you would like pictures of mine I would be happy to share. Sailer also made two other sets of shelving that sit next to the hanging shelves. One of these has his ice maker on a pull out shelf right next to his convenience center. Easy to put water in the ice maker that way. This really made the organization of the basement easy and convenient.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #16
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have searched around and am thinking, I have a slid out tray and think it is to small. Can it be made wider by replacing the end rails and new plywood and use the same roller rail?

Thanks
Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #17
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have the slide out tray and I have it loaded with plastic containers loaded with all the essentials. I couldn't get along without it. I pretty much try to keep most all things organized to keep any load shifting.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Alan, I was kicking myself for not getting the sliding tray. Then my dear wife came up with an idea that works very, very well. A piece of plywood about 7 feet long (roughly) and maybe 18 inches to 24 inches wide (would have to go out and measure but will do so if you want). She suggested I buy some of those stick on nylon feet for use on the bottom of dining chairs. I put 16 of them around the plywood and it slides very nicely on our carpeted basement floor. I would think it would work just as well on the new ones without the carpet. I just cut a semi circular hole near each end as a point to grab and pull.

My big compressor sits in the middle of this plywood. On each side of it are some crates containing sewer connectors, water connectors, the basket for the electrical cord and connectors, a crate for spray chemicals, etc. It isn't as pretty as the factory slider but it's very functional.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #19
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Phil, you can store things underneath the sliding tray. I have seen some that has added a 2x4 to raise it up so they can put even more under it. Levels, poles, fishing rods etc.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote