Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #21
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Mark, mine sure did not, the dealer couldn't get it to also.. strange..

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #22
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Jim

Not sure what the software is doing. Generally when I'm planning a long trip, I'll plot the route on the mapsource software and if it takes me on a route I don't want, I'll put in a waypoint that takes me the route I want and then download to the Garmin. The other thing to watch is shorter distance versus faster time. The other thing I learned though is that like any technology, sometimes a paper map is better.

msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #23
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

My friends TomTom, acts like it's turning on, but nothing comes up on the screen .
Let your friend know that there is a reset button under the TomTom. Pressing it with a paper clip will restore it.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I tried creating that same New Braunfels to Houston route on my MapSource and it goes to Seguin, then I-10 to Houston. I changed just about every setting I could fine in the preferences and nothing would cause it to go through San Antonio other than my manually selecting San Antonio as a waypoint.

JimF, is it possible there is an avoidance set for I-10? Or some other setting?

BirdingRV'er, I don't know if the truck route would avoid low clearances but I would think since it uses truck routes that would be the case. I know a place where there are two low clearance bridges. I'm going to experiment by creating a route using the "car" setting, then change it to "truck" setting and see what it does. If it routes around those, I'll try the same thing in some other known low clearance areas. I do wish the garmin would allow the car or truck setting to be per route so I would not have to remember to change it for our different routing situations.

on edit -- car and truck gave the same route in both low clearance areas I tried. It may be there are no designated truck routes in those areas. I'll have to try in some big cities but it won't identify and route me around low clearance areas in rural areas. I could manually mark the low clearance areas but that's too much work. I'll continue consulting the Motor Carriers Atlas and my S&T low clearance pushpin file.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #25
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Steve, your talking map source, not taking the garmin setting the destination and letting it select the route, which I did and which Garmin did, would not route through Seguin unless you did some waypoint settings. If I have to go to that trouble why have the darn thing. Just use a map.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #26
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Steve,

What is "S&T low clearance pushpin file" and where should I look for the Motor Carriers Atlas.

I think that a RV setting and an avoid low clearance setting would be a great selling feature for any of the GPS vendors to pickup on. Good Sam trip routing has an avoid low clearance setting so, I think the GPS companies could do it as well.

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #27
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
We have the Garmin Nuvi 660 and it works great. Included the FM traffic update module (real time traffic updates, subscription $10/year), FM modulator which speaks directions into to the TV Stereo, and Blue tooth, so you can use the screen to dial a call on your cell phone. While navigating, ask for near by movie theaters for example, touch the screen to dial you blue tooth connected phone automatically, and speak using the hands free option over the TVs stereo. Really nice features.

We won this at a charity event silent auction, so the choice was simple
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BirdingRVer, email me (envelope icon above this post) and I'll send you the low clearance file. Otherwise, it's available at http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm . Mine has the latitude, longitude, name headings already in place, making it a snap to use in S&T. Motor Carriers Atlas is available at truck stops and sometimes at Borders and Barnes and Noble. I don't like their maps at all but the low clearance listings by highway number within state in the front of the atlas is very useful.

JimF, I just went out and brought Mary (the 2720) in the house and tried the route. It takes me down TX 46 to Seguin, then I-10 to Houston.

Awhile back I updated mine to the latest firmware and maps. It's a free download from Garmin. By chance is yours an older version? Mine is Software Version 7.00 (in About/StreetPilot).

I just selected New Braunfels and Houston without a specific street address.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #29
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Steve, it was a new unit and Garmin wanted $299.00 for the upgrade, told them to stuff it and there navigation system, now have a panasonic that is great...cost less too !!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I don't know what was going on with Garmin. All I know is if you register a new unit it immediately tells you whether you need the update. And it's free. Something's rotten but I guess you have another unit now so it doesn't matter anyhow. I'm glad you have one you are happy with.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #31
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Steve, re low clearances and the 2720 "truck" setting, it appears that there is no correlation. Truck setting just gives you designated truck by-pass routes and larger-type highways if it is a toss-up between large and small roads. If there is a low underpass on one of the smaller roads it selects, I'm pretty sure it won't know anything about it.

As stated above, sounds like a good product improvement for some innovative company..the data is available!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:13 AM   #32
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have used the DeLorme Street Atlas USA for the past year with very good success. In addition I got the DeLorme hand held GPS PN-20 for geocaching. It works really well. I really like the color displays. I also use DeLorme Topo software to download my geocaching info to the PN-20. Of course the DeLorme Street Atlas runs on my Dell Laptop that sits on the console in the F-350. I have concluded that it is best to stick with one company's products and software to avoid interface issues. So -- DeLorme works for me but I would assume Garmin or others would have similar products.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #33
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Just bought a Garmin C530 and really like it. It is easy to use and very accurate. It even acquired the satelites in the house! Is much faster then my old GPS. The suction cup mount is well designed.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I found that with my Garmin, too. It finds the satellites even in the house. And when on the road and nearing a destination sometimes I will put the unit on the floor up against the driver seat to get it out of sight and it continues to tell me my turns, etc. I don't know how it maintains the satellites but it does.